Flickering pixels

cadensdad

WiiChat Member
Oct 5, 2007
Went to play my wii tonight and noticed a bunch of very small pixels flickering all around the screen. I thought maybe it was my tv because it is getting a bit old, so I took the wii down and hooked it into my 90" projector. The pixels were still there and in the same spots. They were also easier to see on the bigger screen. (Of Course). Has anyone else had this problem? Should I contact nintendo or just try and take it back to bestbuy. I bought the 2 year no haggle warranty. The problem is they probably won't have any, but I have a friend who works there who usually gives me a heads up when they are coming in. Thanks.

It may be the cables just see if they are dusty,breaks or anything on the cord if not it cant hurt to take it back to Best Buy.Im not sure but it sounds like the cord to me but what do I know lol.

Last edited:
Are the flickering pixels green? I've read a few accounts of people having problems with green flashing pixels likely caused by an overheated GPU.

You'll get flickering if you are running off interlacing mode(480i). Get a component cable and run in progressive mode(480p) and see it the flicking still persist.

Mine too

I just turned on my Wii today and noticed the same problem. Funny thing is, I haven't played my Wii in weeks!

Guess I will be contacting Nintendo as well.

mario2mc said:
I just turned on my Wii today and noticed the same problem. Funny thing is, I haven't played my Wii in weeks!

Guess I will be contacting Nintendo as well.

Seems as though I've read in several places that the wii runs as hot if not hotter in stand by mode. So you don't really have to be playing it for it to overheat. Brilliant, HUH... I recieved my postage paid UPS sticker so mine is headed for repairs.

Ive just sent my wii in for repair,yesterday to be precise.It had developed shimmering vertical lines right across the screen.I used the online form to report the issue and i was sent a prepaid UPS label.It was delivered to the Nintendo agent this morning so i will see what happens next and let you know how long it takes to get it returned.

I only had my Wii two weeks and I started to notice some flickering pixels while playing Golf. Eventually these moved onto the main menu - it's obviously a heat issue as it's very similar to the types of graphical artifacts one gets when overclocking a PC graphics card.

I contacted Nintendo to get my packing slip, but tried a few things to see whether I could solve it (since the issue wasn't too bad, but getting worse). I totally unplugged my Wii for a few hours to let it cool, that didn't help. I even bought one of those Radiator coolers for the back of it, but no go. I'll keep the cooler for after its repaired since it runs while in Standby, but looks like either the chip is damaged from the heat or there just is no way to keep it cool.

I've never taken my Wii apart, but does anyone know what is on the graphics chip? Is there a heatsink or anything on it?

Also, those who shipped your Wii off, any advice on how to package it safely? I never realized how much I really love this thing until now I know I have to be without it.

UPS just returned my wii.Really quick turnaround,no explanation as to what was wrong just a note saying parts were replaced.

this is quite the dilema, ide like to know when you go your wii

becuase there wedre cases of people who got their wii round launch of this problem and its a very serious problem in the long run, the pixels are just signs of whats to come, it is said this problem is very noticiable while playing strikers.

if you got your wii ,i would highly suggest you call nintendo NOW, and if you didnt, still call them to figure out whats going on

ARGH.

My wii is sporting some new pixel artifacts, hardcore. I guess I'll be sending this guy back in for repairs. I was really hoping it was just cable fix issue. Overheating sucks. Perhaps an update to require the fans run while in standby mode?

I'm Canadian, have any other Canadians sent in for a Wii repair yet? I'm curious how long I can expect to be Wii-less. I want it back in time for SSB Brawl. :S

Bentendo said:
ARGH.

My wii is sporting some new pixel artifacts, hardcore. I guess I'll be sending this guy back in for repairs. I was really hoping it was just cable fix issue. Overheating sucks. Perhaps an update to require the fans run while in standby mode?

I'm Canadian, have any other Canadians sent in for a Wii repair yet? I'm curious how long I can expect to be Wii-less. I want it back in time for SSB Brawl. :S

I'm a Canuck as well, but I haven't received my shipping label yet, so I'm not sure what the actual turnaround is - but the website says we should expect 14-21 days return from the time they receive it. Depending on what province you're in, of course. I think they do all the repairs in Burnaby BC.

I wonder if after the repairs are done if they make sure the heatsink is better attached to the graphics chip? My theory (though only a theory) is that the thermal goo isn't very good or well placed and the chip overheats.

Man, this topic is a bummer. I just bought a Wii. I don't want to disable standby mode because I like the news channel and "Wiimail" notification.

Is this problem only happening to older Wiis or is it happening to brand new ones too?

The Wii is the last thing on Earth I would have expected to have heat-related failures.

Back