future online gaming question???

jhathaway

WiiChat Member
Apr 2, 2007
hi there people,

i've had my wii and ds for awhile but just got the usb connector to do some online stuff, which is by the way AWESOME. my question is .. when online gaming starts for the wii do you think the connection between the wii and the usb connector will be fast enought to handle the online gaming, or will i eventually have to go out and get a wireless router?? when my wii is connected online i have the full amount fo "connectivity bars" and the opera browser seems just as fast as my computer, so i'm hoping it'll be alright. just wondering your guys and girls thoughts.

thanks,

joel

you shouldnt need to replace the wifi adapter.

if its using a wifi standard (of either 802.11b/g) then you would have potential connection speeds (between the pc and the wii) of 11mbps/54mbps...

you probably wont have an internet connection that is fast than 11mbps, so whilst you have full signal, you shouldnt experience any bottle-necking, and i doubt the wii games will need anywhere near than bandwidth anyway...

hey people ...

lately my usb adaptor has been giving me a hell of a lot of problems, went out and got a linksys router ... the thing could've been $300 (was 100) and would still be worth every penny. wii and ds connect everytime in line 2 seconds ... i hugely recommend screwing the usb and just getting a router (you can get some that are only like 25-30 more than the connector anyways)

anyways now i CAN'T WAIT FOR ONLINE GAMING!!!

just thought i'd share some news

joel

haha, fair enough, after resolving your question you got a router anyway....

But overall it was a better idea to do so, i just thought you were wanting to hold on to the usb adapter

Home router/firewall should be a must have anyways. Anyone running broadband without one is a fool (don't take it personal). ICS (windows internet connection sharing) was a stop-gap solution until home routers came down in price. The firewall in those boxes are many times more secure, faster and configurable than ICS.

I can't wait for online gaming eather... hopefully sure smash bros. brawl WILL be online compatible... and if it isn't then crap!!! some poeople bought the wii only for that game!!! and some people bought the wii only for that game WITH the online!!!! if it isn't online then.... eh.... oh well, at least we know pokemon battle revolution is coming out, it's supposed to be the first online game for wii!

Actaully it isnt speed that you need to worry about.....its latency. If it becomes a problem then you will need to get the WIRED usb connector. A wireless router wouldnt help much.

I could care less if you have to have Friend codes, i have enough already!

It would be awsome for it to be like Mario Kart DS and you can choose between friend codes, and anyone.

Nfanboy said:
I could care less if you have to have Friend codes, i have enough already!

It would be awsome for it to be like Mario Kart DS and you can choose between friend codes, and anyone.

isn't that what it's gonna be like??? your not gonna HAVE TO HAVE friend codes to play the wii online are you??? i mean its nice to play against ppl i know but if i want to play against some random ppl at 3 in the morning i can cant i???

Back