Gamecube

StevenNevets

WiiChat Member
Oct 22, 2006
Unfortunately I skipped gamecabe but sense it's compatible with the Wii I may buy some controllers and games...

few questions:
a. do I need gamecube memory cards, on the Wii
b. would gamecube games work in widescreen
c. do classic controllers work as gamecube controllers

oh and if anyone knows any good stores, sites to buy gamecube things cheap feel free to throw it in a post

almost any games store sells used Gamecube stuff fairly cheap...

a. If you plan on using game cube games... I think. You might be able to save on the wii.
b. Yup, if there's not a setting, then a little streching wont make much of a difference.. ;)

c. Don't know. Hopefully. All the buttons are there, I think, although they may not be as intuitive (are the CC shoulder buttons analogues)... Hopefully though, it'd be a bit unreasonable for Nintendo to continue producing GC controllers so people who never bought a gamecube can play GC games even though they could just use the CC.

(sorry for being a bit unclear...but I'm not really sure much is known to be honest)

Just adding a bit more info...

StevenNevets said:
Unfortunately I skipped gamecabe but sense it's compatible with the Wii I may buy some controllers and games...

few questions:
a. do I need gamecube memory cards, on the Wii
If you watch this video, it appears as though you may need a Gamecube memory card, but that's not confirmed or denied yet. I would suggest buying the 251 Gamecube memory card, which is made by Nintendo and has a lot of space.
StevenNevets said:
b. would gamecube games work in widescreen
That depends on the Gamecube game, not Wii itself. Wii already supports both 16:9 widescreen and 480p Progressive Scan, so if the Gamecube game supports widescreen or Progressive Scan, then it will work in widescreen on Wii.
StevenNevets said:
c. do classic controllers work as gamecube controllers
Yes, the Classic Controller apparently doubles as a Gamecube controller, however if the game made use of the Gamecube's analog triggers, then you are going to run into trouble playing that game with the Classic Controller because it's triggers are just buttons (like the PS2's L1 and R1 buttons). Source

I would suggest just getting a Wavebird or using any Gamecube because they're wireless, really cheap now and the Classic Controller also requires you plug it into the wiimote. And just in case you are wondering, yes, Wii does support Wavebird controllers.

StevenNevets said:
oh and if anyone knows any good stores, sites to buy gamecube things cheap feel free to throw it in a post
Just by searching google, I found these prices on Wavebirds, and these prices on the 251 GC memory card. Check out PriceGrabber.com, which compares prices from many sites and all the sites are trusted unlike some of those found on google.

Last edited:
do you guys think months after the Wii is out gamecube controllers/games will be cheaper or more expensive...

in one sense the fact that a new system is out would make me think it would go down

but at the same time it's compatible and some games require the controllers so it seems like the demand could go back up slightly

whad'yall think

Back