Gamer Slang That Needs To Die

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Gamers, like every other group, has a particular jargon that is specific to the community. It helps members identify each other, and in the video game world, separates the cool geeks from the geek geeks. Slang is supposed to be ever-evolving and changing so outsiders don’t catch on to the language. In essence, slang words are supposed to have short life spans. This is a call to gamers worldwide. It’s time for some of our jargon to retire. Here is the list of Gamer slang that needs to die.

Noob/Noobie/Newb/Newbie

The term “noob” is generally used as a derogatory term for one who is inexperienced at a particular game or activity and does something stupid. It is most used by pre-pubescent males (noobs to life) who happen to kill someone during an online match. The term needs to die for the simple fact that everyone is a “noob” when they first play a game. God forgive the gamer that doesn’t pre-order every title and play it for 24 hours a day. If you have called someone a “noob” during a beta test you are simply a jackass. It’s time to grab the shovel and dig the grave for all forms of the word “noob.” If someone does something stupid in a multiplayer match, there is nothing wrong with using time tested standbys like “you ****ing idiot!” (or UFI if you want to start a new term).

Note: It is understood that “newb” means something slightly different, but no one can tell that unless you spell it during an XBL match, you “f*$king idiot.”

Own/Owned/Ownage/Pwn/Pwned

You dominated that COD4 match. You just “owned” the other team. Owned needs to die because it has bled into too many other aspects of gamers’ lives. Did you “own” that sandwich because you ate it fast? Do you “own” bagging groceries because you work at Wal-Mart? “Pwned” needs to die merely by typo association. We get that you “pwned” that dragon in WoW, but your finger slipped on the P key instead of the O. Perhaps the biggest reason why “owned” needs to die is because it makes a vague reference to slavery. Yeah, not so funny anymore is it?

Xbots/PS3 Droids/Sony Defense Force

All of these fanboyisms desperately need to die. They all pop up in meaningless flame wars by angry fanboys in forums and websites. These terms need to be buried because, unfortunately, it is impossible to kill every fanboy in order to have intelligent discussion (wait, this is the internet, intelligent discussion is banned). Listen up fanboys, it is moronic to argue over which console is the best. Every console has strengths and weaknesses. Being a fanboy is like deciding to only eat pepperoni pizza for the rest of your life, and screaming like an idiot at anyone who orders sausage on their pizza. You look like a moron twice over. So stop mucking up forums with idiot rhetoric like Xbots and PS3 Droids. There is no console war; just 3 companies who enjoy taking your money.

W00t/Woot

W00t is the mother of all gamer slang that needs to be put to a quick death. By the time any slang gets inducted into Miriam-Webster’s Dictionary as the “word of the year” you know its time for it to die. W00t is generally used as a way to celebrate after an accomplishment or to indicate excitement about something. Woot is popping up on T-shirts, coffee mugs, mousepads, and every other piece of gargabe imaginable. W00t has been diluted through popular culture to the extent that moms are now saying “Check out the meatloaf I made, w00t!” When your mother is using gamer slang, its definitely time to kill it. If for no other reason, w00t needs to die because that guy (left) is wearing the T-shirt.

Source

I myself like the word Pwn/Pwned. I use it in everyday life, haha. But with noob yeah I think it should stop, and be replaced with nub (with a "uh" sound). It doesn't sound as bad, not to mention it's fun to say as well. But the rest should die...

I love w00t. I'm pretty sure woot started as an abbreviation for "We Own Other Team" among Counter-Strike players. Or at least that's the story I've always known.

I don't mind pwned, but everything else on that list I don't ever use & 1337 has to die too...

woot1sn8.jpg

dakuda said:
Why are purposeful typos considered 'cool'?

Ex:

!!!!!!!!1!!!!11!one <- That is pointless
pwned <- wow, you didn't 'miss' the 'o' key, you went for the 'p' key. Congratulations.

I actually agree with this article. There is much more that they could have added.

Using too many exclamation marks along with 1's and /'s is normally to insult very exited noobs, or to be scarcastic, so it doesn't always mean your trying to be 'cool'

I have always thought: noob = annoying player, newb = new player.
But it is used much too much now, so I agree it should stop. I don't agree with woot though- so what if more people know about it?

and about 1337- its not really 'used', and if it is, its again, normally as scarcasim.

Back