Gorillaz: Demon days - review

Foxy

Super Ninjarator
Apr 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
3881-9484-9041-5848
My first music review is of the hit Gorillaz album Demon Days.

200px-Gorillaz_DemonDays.jpg

Band: Gorillaz

Album Name: Demon Days

Released: May 23rd 2005 (UK) May 24th 2005 (USA)

Recorded during: 2004

Genre: Alternative Rock

Producers: Gorillaz, Danger Mouse, Jason Cox, James Dring

Label: Parlophone, Virgin

Reviewed By: Teh Cappin'

Review date: 2nd september 2007

Right, this is the Gorillaz second studio album, the album was fairly successful considering they aint the main stream music. The Album entered the UK Album Charts at #1 and the USA Album Charts at #6, out performing their previous and debut album neatly. It was well received and had some great reviews from different news papers and magazines, such as the guardian rating it 4 out of 5 stars and the observer giving it a 5/5 where as Rolling Stone magazine gave it a mediocre 3/5. The Gorillaz also released a limited edition of the album with a sliding case, with the inside of the case folding out to a + shape with the cd in the middle and a different band member of each side, this pack also included a booklet with lyrics for each song.

Here is the track list, it is laid out in this format

Track name (Song writer(s)) - Song length

My review.

Here we go:

Intro (Don harper, Gorillaz) - 1:03

It is just basically sounds to set a sign and give a eerie sort of feel, generally builds up through out then just die's.

Last Living Souls (Gorillaz) - 3:10

Quite a relaxed song, builds up then just smooths out throughout the song, repeated, some nice lyrics, strong base to it . around 1:40 base die's out for a little bit and adds in some piano with a lead solo then solo ends for an instrumental with violins and sound effects, then song continues as normal.

Kids With Guns (Gorillaz) - 3:45

This is one i like, another strong base but this time a guitar, with some good lyrics also. Repeated quite a bit but with good effect. Nice sound to it. Towards the end a big clash of sounds and such which just slowly fades away.

O Green World (Gorillaz) - 4:31

The intro to it is kinda weird, but once the song gets going, its a great track. Gets going nicely. Around half way threw the song it just repeats. Pretty nice track none the less. I didnt really like the ending fade.

Dirty Harry (Gorillaz, Romye Robinson) - 3:43
Feat. Booti brown.

This was one of the few tracks released as a single from this album.
I love this song due to the music and how the song pans out and the way it has the 'choir' thing put into in for the chorus repeated a few times with the beat, then it gets a sudden change for the Booti Brown Solo. Then returns to the basic beat we received threw most of the song.

Feel Good Inc (Gorillaz, David Jolicoeur) - 3:41
Feat. De La Soul

This is another one of the songs released as a single and one of the more famous songs. Great de la soul solo's and quite a soft chorus with a great beat which then turns into a more attacking solo from de la soul. generally it is a good song but some times the de la soul laughs can get in the way a bit.

El Manana (Gorillaz) - 3:50

This is an ok song, quite soft singing but with a repeated base line. Nothing much going on.

Every Planet We Reach is dead (Gorillaz) - 4:53

longest song on the album. Starts with quite a strong sound then turns a bit softer for the singing then a little instrumental with a heavier sound then softer again, this is the generally lay out of the song, it is good but had a bit more potential.

November has come (Gorillaz, Daniel Dumile) - 2:41
feat. MF DOOM

Starts with a simple base but with some singing from MF DOOM, then enhances the base with some more sounds, then comes the chorus, quite a soft and simple song but come's across as pretty nice.

All Alone (Gorillaz, Rodney Smith, Simon Tong) - 3:30
Feat. Roots manuva

Song starts off straight away with a beat and some vocals, then it gets enhanced a bit then stops for less then a second and returns with more sound to it, then it goes soft for a while no vocals and then comes with a Roots manuva solo, with the background beat increasing like at the beginning. Quite a good song, one of the better songs on this album. Tpwards the end is a very soft solo then returns the beat.

White light (Gorillaz) - 2:08

Starts with a vocal then enters the base beat which is just some drums, then comes a electric sorta beat then the drums eliminate then return then the electric eliminates then the song die's for a few seconds. Then it returns with a new piano like edition to the sound. Then it all goes on during the instrumental, guitars and all. Nice little song here.

Dare (Gorillaz) - 4:04
Feat. Shaun Ryder

Another song released as a single, a strong beat threw out and the vocals dont change much apart from the two different singers. one is softer one is more attacking sort of, heavier. The song is ok but is just repeated.

Fire coming out of a monkeys head (Gorillaz) - 3:16
Feat. Dennis Hopper

It is basically just a beat wih some commentry. Eerie kinda background beat while Dennis Hopper explains a story about a mountine called monkey. So commentry with a changing background beat. Every now and again a chorus will occur with some singing. For me the best bit is near the end, is the chorus 'dance of the dead'

Don't Get lost in heavon (Gorillaz) - 2:00

Just a basic nice little soft beat with vocals, nothing much to say, its relaxing and then leads to the final song.

Demon days (Gorillaz) - 4:28

Also kinda soft, choir like vocals, basic beat, it is ok but not up to much.

Overall impressions were that I really liked this album, defiantly worth a buy.

I'l give it a High 8/10 Points.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed!

It came out like 3 years ago and you're just getting around to reviewing it?
Why even bother, why not review an album that actually came out this year?
Icky Thump By The White Stripes perhaps?
I don't know something. Anything.

LOL, I think you need to get with the times. This is 2007, why review a few year old album? What an IDIOT

It just so happened I had a feeling to review this album, an review is better then no review.

Maybe I will try reviewing more for things up to date but for my first attempt I wanted to try something I knew well.

@Chickenwin, what have you got against me? Nice attempt at following the crowd tho. I suggest you read the forums rules and dont flame. Or if your going to comment at least give feedback like blue radio.

Last edited:
Cpt.McCloud said:
It just so happened I had a feeling to review this album, an review is better then no review.

Chickenwin, what do you have against me? Nice try at following the crowd tho.

Maybe I will try reviewing more for things up to date but for my first attempt I wanted to try something I knew well.

Rate my ass 10/10

Cpt.McCloud said:

@Chickenwin, what have you got against me? Nice attempt at following the crowd tho. I suggest you read the forums rules and dont flame. Or if your going to comment at least give feedback like blue radio.

For the record.
I really wasn't flaming you in case that's what you were thinking.
I was just saying why not review something a little newer.

Also, I love The Gorillaz and thought Demon Days was a great album.

blueradio said:
For the record.
I really wasn't flaming you in case that's what you were thinking.
I was just saying why not review something a little newer.

Also, I love The Gorillaz and thought Demon Days was a great album.

No, I liked your reply, you gave me feedback and explained.

The one who flamed was chickenwin.

Well I may have to pick this up then, never got around to it.
Nice review .

mushroomedmario said:
i just dled it on utorrent, can't really listen to it right now since teh rents are sleeping

hope it's good

It is an acquired taste but it is a great album.

Excellent review Cpt.McCloud, I like the Gorillaz they have some really good music. My favourite album is Demon Days and I have 5 favourite tracks (Dirty Harry, Feel Good Inc, Dare, Fire Coming Out Of The Monkeys Head and White Light), and all of those people saying this is review is too old is a bunch of BULLCRAP. Because a review can never be too old when somebody is expressing their personal opinions.. Very good, and I am respectful for the amount of time you must have spent making this review! 9/10! :)

Back