Having trouble with external hard drive

Scuba Kid

WiiChat Member
Nov 5, 2006
Wii Online Code
6069-2332-3129-0150
Well Ive read here quite a few times that people are having success with external hard drives converted to FAT32 and that the wii opens files the same as an sd card in the photo channel.
i tried today so that i could store an episode of family guy and watch it, but after following the steps i read (make sure there's no sd card in slot, plug in usb hard drive, photo channel, blah blah blah) its not recognizing that its there. i am positive that it is in fat 32 format and it has two seperate parts on it, about 23 GB free space in the section where my video is (converted to wii format as well).

so does anyone know what the problem could be?

well everytime i have read up on it here, I have not come across anything stating that at actually recognized the harddrive as an SD. Im just waiting for an update that will enable usb storage, which is imminent

All over digg and various other sites this is being called bogus. Me personally, I think people need to be testing various externals to see if there is a particular one that works. The only reason I say this is because I used to have a WD 160gb ide hdd and a usb ide external enclosure. The firmware for the enclosure refused to work with WD hdd's for one reason or another. So could it be possible that the Wii's firmware is also going to be particular to a certain driver make?

Just a thought

Yeah i think i just realized that i mixed up what others were saying about about getting a hard drive to work with playing videos off of an SD card. So i guessim just making stuff up with this question, lol.

I also just came across the post where the USB hard drive thing is a hoax....so i guess my question was answered. if a few people could just verify the falseness of FAT32 hard drives and the wii that'd be good...

omegis13 said:
All over digg and various other sites this is being called bogus. Me personally, I think people need to be testing various externals to see if there is a particular one that works. The only reason I say this is because I used to have a WD 160gb ide hdd and a usb ide external enclosure. The firmware for the enclosure refused to work with WD hdd's for one reason or another. So could it be possible that the Wii's firmware is also going to be particular to a certain driver make?

Just a thought
I would think so, it is possible, it just may be a big update though

Back