HD Wii problems

soccerson1

WiiChat Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hey, I just got a HD Wii connection from GameStop and I can't get it to work. I hooked up all the colors, light red, blue, green, white, and dark red, but there isn't a place to put the yellow video cord. I just left it out to see what happened and the picture and sound came, but the picture was black and white. I plugged in the yellow video cord into every yellow input, but they were all for different channels. Does anyone have any ideas?

The "HD" component cables that you bought should have the following:
Green, Blue and Red for Video (in place of the yellow video cable that comes with the wii)
Red and White for Audio

Green = Luma (or brightness)
Blue and Red = Chroma (color)

Red audio = right channel
White = left channel.

There should be no yellow cable. Ensure that you have a component video input, labeled usually by a box as component video in and each connector labeled as Y, Pb/Cb, and Pr/Cr.

HD Wii hookup

Ok, I understand, but when I just left the yellow cord off, everything worked fine, but it was in black and white. And fyi, the cord is a combo so it works for a xbox 360, playstation 3, and wii. so why is it black and white? (and i did try to go to the wii menu and change the setting to hd, but it wouldn't let me choose it)

I see.... I'm guessing that it's the mad catz one. According to a review on gamestop's website, the wii will detect the composite cable (yellow) and use that by default. Here's what they wrote:

bought this today, tried to get it to work with my wii, not happening. the cables pictured are dont show an extra yellow cord thats meant for normal composite connections. since it has that and the wii detects it, if you try and set the wii's settings to 480p you'll realize that the option is disabled and no 480p for you. on the phone with nintendo customer support and theres no way around it.

Return it and buy a better one that is component only. If you don't want to do that, find some info on the wii connectors in the back, find out which one is connected to the yellow and remove it...somehow. I'm not to good with electrics

Back