Help: Not sure if Wii is for me.

PIZ

WiiChat Member
Oct 16, 2007
I want to get my kids (8 and 5) a new system. They currently have XBOX, which has no new games. My 8 year old loves skating games like Tony Hawk, while my 5 year old loves Star Wars Battlefront, Godzilla, Lego Star Wars. He also loves the WWII titles, but some are too hard for him and also too violent. I really am unsure about the Wii remote. I can't figure out how you would play a skate game or an army game with a remote that looks like a tv remote. Also, what is the difference between the Wii Remote and the Nun-Chuck. Do you have to use different controllers for different games?

My 8 year old really wants the EA game SKATE, but I did not see it listed for the Wii. Will it be available. Are the Lego games available on the Wii?

If I get a system from say Walmart, will it come with everything I need to start playing? How much does it cost?

What skate games would be fun for an 8 year old? Are there any appropriate (not too violent or difficult) army games for a 5 year old?

Thanks for your help.

SKATE is only for the 360...as far as other skating games, there are some Tony Hawk ones, but I have no experience with them

Admit it, it's for you isn't it?

Anyway! I live in Scotland so not sure bout all the prices where you are. But I'm sure its around $250 (thats US dollars). It is ready to play straight out of the box, the console comes with a wii remote, a nunchuck and a free game (wii sports, which is a great selection of 5 mini games to get you started and help you learn the basics). However you will probably need a second wii remote and nun-chuck, best to buy the remote with the mini game collection wii play, not sure on prices where you are.

The nunchuck has an analogue stick for moving your in game characters etc, whilst the remote is usually used as a pointing device. Both have buttons and motion sensitivity aswell.

At the moment there are 2 army based games, that i know of: Medal of honour Vanguard and Call of Duty 3, I dont have either so not sure if suitable for your kids, Call of Duty 3 got the best reviews though. Also because of the wii controls first person shooters are really good, far better than traditional control pads.

There is a Tony Hawks game, don't have it so can't recommend it. However i do have SSX blur (snowboarding) which is really good but fairly difficult to learn the moves. The problem the wii seems to be having at the moment is that it is marketed as an easy pick up and play system but some games are very tricky to master, especially for 8 and 5 year olds.

There are also LEGO star wars and Godzilla Unleashed coming out soon!

So to recap: To get started you will need -
Wii console (including free wii sports game) : $250
Wii play (with wii remote): $??
Additional nun-chuck controller: $??

Last edited:
although metriod prime isnt an army game as such it would be very much worth buying for your sons as it uses the remote very successfully and although can be challenging is still do able, also i believe it would be still suitable for younger kids as there is no graphic violence it is really a game fantasy

Their will soon be a board type setup for the wii which can interact with games like tony hawk so to skateboard the user is using more than just a controller.
Lego stars the complete saga releases next month, it features episodes I thru 6 with bonus levels. Some games use just the wiimote and some games require the wiimote and nunchuk. If you buy a wii get your kids big brain academy, I think they will enjoy it.

ronjon13 said:
umm shooters are brilliant on the wii
really? since when?

anyways, youre better off getting a ps3 or 360. they have games like skate, the new tony hawk, star wars battlefront if it comes out on 360 but should def. come out on ps3. 360 also has plenty of ww2 shooters.

ronjon13 said:
buy wii
buy wiiplay
buy nunchuck
that should cover his star wars, ww2, and tony hawk needs for sure!

Last edited:
Shooters are brilliant on Wii since Metroid Prime 3, which I recommend highly (for you, sir, but not for your kids), as well as buying a Wii; it's the cheapest and the richest when it comes to gameplay, plus most games don't have much violence. a Godzilla is coming November or earlier for the Wii, it's called "Godzilla Unleashed" and it uses both the Wiimote and Nunchuck as well as other great games, so I suggest you buy a Nunchuck along with a Wiimote, when you buy the Wii you'll get a Wiimote and a Nunchuck(the two connect for specific games like boxing using both as your gloves) there's Mario Galxy coming out which your kids will love, as well as Mario Strikers, and there's a Tony Hawk game out already and another one coming out, there's also SSX Blur which is a snowboarding game, and don't worry, the controls are explained in each game and they're not hard to execute. There's also the most anticipated game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl in which all the Nintendo mascots (Mario, Pikachu, Link, Samus) come together and fight in 2-D, it's fun. The Wii also has online features for buying retro games that you may have played in the past, and has a weather channel, a news channel, and for creating Miis, and of course an Internet channel where you can navigate the web with the Wiimote, and once you plug the Wii in you'll see all of these features are easy to use.

honestly, if you can justify spending 350 on a console, then 60 dollars on games go with an Xbox360. sounds like it will fit your son's gaming needs a lot better than a Wii will. but if you like the idea of the 250 price tag (us) than there are 2 tony hawk games available.

to answer your question about the Wii Remote, the nunchuch is an attachment that plugs into the remote, making it one complete controller, but for mini games like wii sports its not required, for full length games, 90% of the time you need the nunchuck.

there's a new star wars game coming otu for Wii (probably early next year) other than that i dont think theres a lego game on the Wii.

the console is very kid friendly and im you could deffinately have fun with it too. theres a few WWII shooters out and the new Medal of Honor is comint out in november so watch for that one (online, 32 players)

as far as war games for a five year old go stay away from call of duty 3, the "motion controls" on some of the parts (claymores, mortor controls) are gimicky and i had trouble with them for a while, they just ticked me off and im seventeen lol.

medal of honor: vanguard wasnt too violent though, he might like that. easy enough to control and play through.

umm thats about it, if u need anymore help just ask.

Sovieto said:
really? since when?

anyways, youre better off getting a ps3 or 360. they have games like skate, the new tony hawk, star wars battlefront if it comes out on 360 but should def. come out on ps3. 360 also has plenty of ww2 shooters.

that should cover his star wars, ww2, and tony hawk needs for sure!
:lol:

you can also get a came cube controller or 2 which are about $15-$20 each and get the gamecube lego/regular star wars games to hold them off till the Wii edition comes out and those games are definitely available used so they're somewhere in the $20 ballpark.
Generally every platform will have essensially the same thing, one might have a specific game like skate, but that doesn't mean the other platforms won't have similar games such as Tony Hawk. that goes for the not ultraviolent but still war games.
Basically it comes down to what you feel like spending and how easily accessible the item is. As everyone here knows Wii's are a lot harder to find than an XBox 360 or PS3, but they also cost a decent amount less.
Wii-$250
Wii Play- $50
Nunchuck-$20
2 Game Cube Controllers- $40(total)
so before going nuts on games you're looking at $360 for the Wii system but that's with an extra controller complete setup the Gamecube controllers and 2 different collections of minigames.

For a PS3 you're looking at a minimum of $450 for just the system and 1 controller- no games of any kind

For the XBox 360 you're looking at a min of $350, again 1 controller and no games- but you do get a headset(unless you can find a core system which from my limited XBox knowledge the no longer make(also from my limited knowledge of XBox, isn't microsolf releasing the revised XBox 360, i forget the new name of it, soon which unlike the regular 360 will NOT constantly break?)

it's basically up to how much money you want to spend versus how hard you want to look for the system. I've played all 3 and i have more fun playing Wii than the other 2 systems. All of them have their short comings though, wii with it's lack of online gaming, headset support, etc. but my opinion is that i'd rather wait for that than wait for my XBox to get done being repaired and PS3 just doesn't have all that many games out yet(atleast not that i'm overly interested in, i know that'll change in the future, which is when i'll start considering buying one.)

just my 2 hundreths of a dollar
-Kyle

smyth said:
you can also get a came cube controller or 2 which are about $15-$20 each and get the gamecube lego/regular star wars games to hold them off till the Wii edition comes out and those games are definitely available used so they're somewhere in the $20 ballpark.
Generally every platform will have essensially the same thing, one might have a specific game like skate, but that doesn't mean the other platforms won't have similar games such as Tony Hawk. that goes for the not ultraviolent but still war games.
Basically it comes down to what you feel like spending and how easily accessible the item is. As everyone here knows Wii's are a lot harder to find than an XBox 360 or PS3, but they also cost a decent amount less.
Wii-$250
Wii Play- $50
Nunchuck-$20
2 Game Cube Controllers- $40(total)
so before going nuts on games you're looking at $360 for the Wii system but that's with an extra controller complete setup the Gamecube controllers and 2 different collections of minigames.

For a PS3 you're looking at a minimum of $450 for just the system and 1 controller- no games of any kind

For the XBox 360 you're looking at a min of $350, again 1 controller and no games- but you do get a headset(unless you can find a core system which from my limited XBox knowledge the no longer make(also from my limited knowledge of XBox, isn't microsolf releasing the revised XBox 360, i forget the new name of it, soon which unlike the regular 360 will NOT constantly break?)

it's basically up to how much money you want to spend versus how hard you want to look for the system. I've played all 3 and i have more fun playing Wii than the other 2 systems. All of them have their short comings though, wii with it's lack of online gaming, headset support, etc. but my opinion is that i'd rather wait for that than wait for my XBox to get done being repaired and PS3 just doesn't have all that many games out yet(atleast not that i'm overly interested in, i know that'll change in the future, which is when i'll start considering buying one.)

just my 2 hundreths of a dollar
-Kyle
my god nintendo has you guys down good. not enough wii games? buy our old accessories and games from a system that near failed last gen!

Back