Help setting up controller

butters

WiiChat Member
Dec 10, 2012
This is gonna sound basic but after loading the disc for Skyward Sword i am having no luck getting past the screen telling you to plug in the nunchuk. I've got several dozen games, dowloaded and on disc, but Skyward Sword is the only one that has this problem. I've tried every combination of controllers and nunchuks i have and i can't get past this screen. Has anyone else even heard of this issue? Before you ask, Wii has current updates, controllers have fresh batteries, nunchuks work, and controllers have no calibration issues with any of our other games. The only thing I can think of is this game has instructions for the Wii Motion Plus which I do not have. My pals at work don't have this hardware either yet they can play Skyward Sword. The instructional video at first load says that both controllers(with or wothout Wii Motion Plus) work. Help!! Never had a game i couldn't fire up.
UPDATE:Spent another 40 minutes today trying various combinations of buttons, angles, upside down vs rightside up, etc. with no luck. I hate to spend even more money on this game i've yet to see much less play but my next option is purchasing the Wii Motion Plus the game says i don't need. Since the instructional video had two versions, one with and one wihout the WMP, I don't think it'll make a difference.

Last edited:
What the instructions mean is that if you have the newer Wii Remote Plus you don't need Wii Motion Plus. Look at the front of your remote. Does it say "Wii Motion Plus INSIDE"? If not, you have the older remote and must get the Wii Motion Plus attachment.

The same is true of Wii Sports Resort.

Thanks! Checked back here a couple of times and had given up. Borrowed a friends WMP and all is well. Kinda surprised that the game didn't clarify for those of us with older Wii's.

Back