Hot Wii

Dec 4, 2006
Northern Ireland - Co. Down
Wii Online Code
8263-8201-5467-9061
I've had to move my games as the clear plastic cover of LoZ:TP started to melt when it was stood alongside my console! Its the first time I've noticed it get hot and it had been on standby (WiiConnect24 On) all day.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

[PS: Should this be in hardware?]

Wow... Must've been pretty hot then :S

I can play my Wii all day, and it's bloody hot over here (34-36 degrees... well, in my room anyway) and when I switch it off, my Wii feels slightly warm and thats it... =\

Hm, you should contact Nintendo. Once I left mine on the Wii start up menu for around 12 hours and when I felt it, it was only ever so slightly warm.

Sounds like a very possible fire hazard, im surprised it hasnt already burnt out - especially if the heat being given off is melting plastic?

I'd unplug and call Nintendo support like previously suggested.

when wiiconnect24 is enabled, it will consume some power while on standby mode to remain connected, but its fan will not work, thus raising temperature more than play, just disable the function

Toad, if your Wii has some sort of hardware problem, I think there's gunna be nothing you can do unless you're able to fix it yourself since that red LED you put in your Wii has probably voided it's warrrantly... If so, I feel bad for you man, really bad... :(

there is no led chip... duh god its just new led's soldered on, it gets pretty hot in wiiconnect 24 for everyone, ive found mainly laying down the bottom (left side) gets hot enought to melt ice, but i down know about plastic

There is no led chip.

I just changed the leds.

Called Ninty.... they couldn't help.....It was my fault.... there was a manual underneath the stand blocking the bottom air vent.

I feel pretty stupid now! :lol:

lmfao!!!! i picked mine up and a sh*tload of dust was blocking it, but yer wiiconnect 24 on for 2 weeks and no problems, thinking of buying a cooling dock and making the fans work when console is in standby

mk_south_london said:
yea^^ i think the led chip is causin a lil conflict in there

Erm... I don't think he has used an entirely new chip in his Wii... He probably just unsoldered the original blue LED and soldered in the red one.

They're just tiny little bulbs with little legs, 1 medium, 1 long (so you know which way to put it).

Last edited:
My fan is on when my Wii is in standby.

I can NEVER hear the fan, EVER (playing OR standby), but I can feel a light breeze coming out of the back of my Wii at all times.

Up here in cold, cold Canada, we don't complain about heat issues! We praise them! (J/K, but seriously, no heat issues here, and I use WiiConnect24)

i'm surprised that the plastic part of the shell didn't go funny, did you smell burning w/o the casae beside it?

Back