Improving Pokemon

Neosquid

(owo)凸
Jan 25, 2009
Chireiden
Wii Online Code
6666-1020-6666-1020
This is about the video games, for the record. I think that Pokemon is a great series, but it could use some serious work. What do you think could be done about this? Here are some questions to consider, and hopefully answer.

• What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?
  • Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?
  • What kind of Pokemon game do you want to see the most, personally?
  • Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?
  • Do you think Pokemon games are in need of better gameplay? If so, what parts of the gameplay do you think need to be changed?
  • Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all?
  • Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?

I'll go more into my opinions at a later time.

It's kinda funny that this is still troubling you. I don't think you'll be getting over it any time soon.

Yes. Yes they are.

I don't really know much about the devs. Is there a semi-famous important guy that's in charge of development decisions?

Yes. Yes they are.

I don't really know much about the devs. Is there a semi-famous important guy that's in charge of development decisions?
You'd think I would be more aware of specific people who are in charge of that, but, besides Ken Sugamori (and I'm not even 100% sure what his role is), nobody is really coming to mind.

There needs to be continent travel
Also I would not mind a continued storyline from the second game or from the third game

You'd think I would be more aware of specific people who are in charge of that, but, besides Ken Sugamori (and I'm not even 100% sure what his role is), nobody is really coming to mind.

That's depressing. I was hoping there'd be some sort of procrastinating obese American or some philosophically conflicted asian guy to complain to. Sounds like an impersonal team.

That's depressing. I was hoping there'd be some sort of procrastinating obese American or some philosophically conflicted asian guy to complain to. Sounds like an impersonal team.
Well no, don't jump to conclusions yet, I may just be unaware. ^^;

Also if they are going to add to the evolutionary line of a pokemon they should make it look like it came from the generation of the line

You have no idea how much Rhyperior bothers me

• What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?

Without a doubt, the fact that it's a children's game and is made as such. Outside of competitive multiplayer and facilities like the Battle Subway or Battle Frontiers, there's absolutely no difficulty since it's a kid's game. An even bigger issue is that there's been absolutely no notable story in the mainstay RPGs 'till recent years in the advent of Black & White. Huge as the improvements in Generation 5 were, Pokemon still has a long way to go 'till we get a truly respectable 5-star plot. Why the games are left high 'n dry whereas the manga isn't is beyond me...
  • Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?

Absolutely not for some things, whereas it's a most definitely for others. In terms of the gameplay; battling, trading, catching and the whole "collect 8 badges" adventure, t's a heavy case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That formula just-plain works. In regards to how the formula is presented in terms of plot and the predictability of every game, that's where things need t' change. Awesome as Team Plasma were, we really don't need a team as a plot device for every single game. If the protagonist instead got looped up in some insane Pokemon legend which has more to do with a single villain rather than an army of idiots, Game Freak would be forced t' try harder than copypasting team grunts everywhere as the hilariously easy obstacle/objective.

In regards to the predictability I mentioned, nothin' exciting ever happens until you get 7 or more badges. Last I checked, Ash saw a mother****in' legendary Pokemon the day he set out on his Pokeventure. Anyone who's been a fan for this long knows what t' expect in these regards.

Linearity kills many types of games as well. There's never a choice as to what ya do 'till post-game. Collect badges, beat the bad guys, become Champion. Changing this formula is unnecessary, but it'd sure as **** be a lovely change of pace for die-hard fans who've been 'round for the ages.
  • What kind of Pokemon game do you want to see the most, personally?

A masterpiece, plain 'n simple. I don't care if it's an MMO, a mainstay RPG, or a Mystery Dungeon game/some other spin-off like Conquest. A Pokemon game that can be taken seriously and earn 10/10s from reviewers who have spite for the children's games is what I'm dyin' to see. I certainly have no faith such a game will ever happen, but my god do I want it to.
  • Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?

lolyes
  • Do you think Pokemon games are in need of better gameplay? If so, what parts of the gameplay do you think need to be changed?

Outside of linearity, no.
  • Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all?

[STRIKE]Damn right, completin' my National dex is a pain in the ass.[/STRIKE] That's certainly an opinion-based question. :lol: I'll say a definitive no. Pokemon all have basis. They aren't just randomly drawn, inspiration-less pieces'a junk. So long as there're interesting animals and philosophies, ideals or religions t' draw interesting designs from, Pokemon should keep on bein' made.

... Until the artists are literally outta creative juices, anywho.
  • Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?

Ranted on that above. There's obviously no need for it since Pokemon sells like ****in' Mario to the youngin's, it's an unnecessary financial risk. Likely one that has incredible pay-off (everyone who buys Pokemon games + a bunch'a RPG fans = profit[SUP]1.5[/SUP]), but also a likely risk they won't bother to take. At least not very soon.

Us mature Pogeymanz fans tend to enjoy the games that down target our age regardless, be it the wonderful world of Pokemon as a whole or competitive battling. As Game Freak says, Pokemon really is for all ages, despite their focused target group bein' painstakingly obvious. In short, no. There doesn't be. But they sure as **** better make a proper Pokemon game for us real fans... =/

It's kinda funny that this is still troubling you. I don't think you'll be getting over it any time soon.

ohai off-topic post

^ I'm gonna need to edit heavily in a sec
[/LIST]The extremely predictable CPUs, especially the ones that have healing items.
....a hard mode (that's actually hard...) would be great.
There needs to be continent travel
Also I would not mind a continued storyline from the second game or from the third game
A bigger world in general would be nice.

What do you mean by the second one, exactly?
Also if they are going to add to the evolutionary line of a pokemon they should make it look like it came from the generation of the line

You have no idea how much Rhyperior bothers me
Porygon Z and Gallade are full of win, though. :/

Eh, I don't know how to respond to Dirge's post since I agree with everything and I don't know what to add. It's certainly very helpful, though.
I find the world size fine. Rather, I'd like a change from the old-school world design. An actual world, be it impressive and beautiful or "realistic" like Skyrims.
Valid point. I think both would be good.

Personally, I'd enjoy seeing a Pokemon game with a 2-player (or more?) story mode. I believe there may have been in the past about it.....

Back