Internet Connection Sharing w/ USB Mobile Broadband and Wireless Router

Adam Jaques (jay-kweez)

WiiChat Member
Feb 28, 2007
Alexandria, Louisiana, USA
Wii Online Code
8557-0345-1860-1697
Connecting your Wii to the Internet using a USB Mobile Broadband (EVDO) Modem on your Desktop PC through a wireless router.

So I don't know how many people have, or have tried to connect their Wii to the internet using this method. But since I live way out in the middle of nowhere Louisiana, this is my only option for connectivity. And since I had such a hard time figuring it out I thought I'd share my setup in case others are in the same boat.

Here is what I have:

Desktop PC running Windows XP Home Edition, Zone Alarm Firewall, AVG Anti-Virus
Connected to the Internet via UM150 EVDO (Mobile Broadband) USB Modem
Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

What I wanted to do:

Connect my Wii wirelessly to my router, my router to my PC which is connected to the internet.

How to do it.......Finally:

On the Desktop PC, navigate to your Network Connections. Right Click on the Pantech USB Modem, Click the "Advanced" tab. Under "Internet Connection Sharing" click the first box to turn on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Then under " Home Networking Connection" Pick your Ethernet Adapter that the router is connected to. In my case it was "LAN Connection 2" Click OK and Ok to close that out. Now Open up a browser and type in the address for your router, mine happened to be the default for the WRT54G which is "192.168.1.1" Once in the router, disable DHCP and change the routers IP Address to "192.168.0.2" By the way I forgot to mention that you need to connect your PC to Port 4 on the router NOT the WAN or Internet port. Once you've done all that, go back to your network connections and right click on your Ethernet connection and click properties. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click "Properties". Input "192.168.0.1" as your IP Address and "255.255.255.0" as the Subnet Mask. Leave Gateway and both DNS Servers Blank. Now Restart the PC. While your PC is restarting you can start the Wireless Setup on the Wii. Just make sure your PC is up and running and connected to the internet and the firewall is OFF before the Wii’s Connection Test starts. After you've connected, you can turn the firewall back on. Just tell it to allow the IP range: 192.168.0.1-100. And set the Internet and Trusted zones security to Medium. And under program control find "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" and allow it access to the internet under both "Internet" and "Server" Columns..

And I think that’s it. If something doesn’t seem right, let me know. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I know how frustrating this ICS Stuff can be.

Back