internet sharing with PCI WiFi card to Wii

jledesma said:
I know you're trying to configure what you've already purchased, but why not purchase a small wireless router? that way you could have your PC turned off and still have Internet access... Just my 2 cents.
i can't do that because my ISP allows only one PC connected to internet (it's blocked through mac address).. however i have a second pc connected to my first one and the internet goes there through a proxy server installed on the first pc... however there is no option in wii to set up internet throught proxy server..

well have you accepted your wii to connect to the internet if you have your just most likely having a plain connection problem i have a wifi conection and when i first tryed to connect it, it took a long time just keep trying or look to see if they have an answer to your error on nintendo.com

lele007 said:
i can't do that because my ISP allows only one PC connected to internet (it's blocked through mac address).. however i have a second pc connected to my first one and the internet goes there through a proxy server installed on the first pc... however there is no option in wii to set up internet throught proxy server..

What your ISP doesn't know, won't hurt you. How you set up your home network is none of their concern. And unless you tell them, they will never know (they COULD find out, however it would take more work than they are willing to put in)

<editted due to re-reading your posts)

Make sure that ICS is working properly for your other PC (I assume it is) set up the Wii manually using the same net block your second PC is using (if the ip is set to 192.168.0.2, then use any IP other than .2 or .1 (up to .254, for example 182.168.0.5, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway <or router address> 192.168.0.1, and then get the DNS that your ISP assigned your main PC) Now, if for some reason you have different IP addresses set then I gave, just change what info I gave you accordingly).

Set your WiFI card into AP mode. Set the SSID to whatever you wish, and set the security to whatever you wish (I would suggest getting it working with NO security first, just to take things one step at a time). Then your Wii should connect up just fine. NOTE: Don't expect the WiiConnect24 to work though this way as it requires port forwarding which is not setup at this stage, but that should impact you minimally if at all.

I would HIGLY recommend however that you get yourself some sort of routing software for your main PC and dump ICS ASAP.

Last edited:
SuperH said:
Your WiFi card is 192.168.0.1 on your PC right, since you're using Internet Connection Sharing?

The Wii needs manually configured, use these settings:
Wii IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS: 192.168.0.1

I hope this works!
doesn't works.. i set all the parameters manually...
all set as above -> get the error when wii can't find the SSID etc.
if i set the gateway to my primary network cards IP (which has the internet) -> i get 50100 error (No internet connection)

tried as AP and as P2P mode

Maleko said:
What your ISP doesn't know, won't hurt you. How you set up your home network is none of their concern. And unless you tell them, they will never know (they COULD find out, however it would take more work than they are willing to put in)

Are you SURE your using a proxy and not Windows ICS or some other routing software? If you are using a proxy on the net connected computer, look into routing software for your PC. This way, you can run all the Wiis, computers, whatever though your single connection in your PC.

Maybe this will explain it better:

Cable Modem/DSL Modem/whatever internet connection

PC (with routing software)

dumb hub/WLAN router/eth router/whatever (I suggest WLAN router here for furture ease, and the wii)

all the computers, consoles, whatever you want.

You can set this up many different ways, however if you connect it all like I have here you will have less problems long term. If you do not have access or $ to routing software (haven't looked for any in years so I can't tell if there are any free good ones) Windows ICS will do this all for you, just definately not the best option though.

yeah using proxy software.. called proxy++ or what..

How far away is your comp from the Wii, how many walls etc in the way?

Just to make sure i have this right, you have

internet
(eth line)
main comp (ICS and proxy++)
(eth line)
other comp

Where in here is the Wifi card?

the signal is good, if i try to search for an access point it shows up with green color however i can't connect to it..

internet (ethernet utp) goes to PC1
PC1 (proxy++) -> PC2 (ethernet utp) going to internet using proxy
PC1 (ICS)(wifi) -> Wii (wifi)

proxy++ software isn't running everytime, only when somebody wants to use internet on the second PC

EDIT: btw is there a proxy page at manual setup (wii), before MTU? I've just read it at a gamefaqs.com faq (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/wii_networking.txt), but i didn't have one :|

Last edited:
ok so a friend was here with his laptop (wifi) and he was able to connect to the internet through my pc, when my wifi was in adhoc mode. but the AP mode didn't work... anyone knows a good software which can make from my pci wifi card a soft access point (softap)?

thanks

sorry for the bump but my wii is on internet w00t
bought a new wifi card with softap function + dhcp and it works like charm!

There is a proxy setting in the Wii's internet settings, I can see it here on mine at least. Maybe this was added in a firmware update though?... If you havent updated your Wii at all yet maybe it would be a good idea to take it to a friends house where it can connect to allow the firmware updates to go through to the Wii. Then from that point take it home and try again.

Ohh, I just see not that you got a new card and fixed it, ignore my reply above.

Raz

Back