Japanese Wii Virtual Console in UK

Tremor

WiiChat Member
May 9, 2007
Greetings all. My apologies if this post if in the wrong section (I wasn't sure if Virtual Console connectivity questions should come under the VC section or Hardware issues...) Also, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I couldn't come up with anything quickly after searching. One post did mention that a Japanese Wii could connect to the Internet outside of Japan (I think the country was South Korea).

I am considering buying a Japanese Wii because I want to have access to the Virtual Console games unreleased in Western countries. I am studying Japanese and whatnot, so language issues within the games are less of a problem, though playing English games will be something I'll have to address later.

My question is, has anybody had first-hand experience or can say for sure that a Japanese Wii can connect to and download games from the Virtual Console from the U.K (outside Asia). I realise purchasing Wii points by credit card with be another problem, but I have read that you can now buy prepaid cards online to get around this problem... Is this the case?

Also, anybody else who owns a Japanese Wii and uses it abroad (especially Europe, where voltage differences need to be addressed), any advice about transformers (etc) will be appreciated ^_^

Thanks in advance!

i saw a youtube video of some people buying and playing wii vc games from different regions...

it involved changing your settings of what country you were in, then having to run an update, then play what you like :smilewinkgrin:

(iirc that is.... gimme a sec and i'll see if i can find it for you)

EDIT - ok, found what i was looking for, but unfortunately it sounds like it wont work for you.... something about japanese wiis not having the option to change country..

have a look anyway, sorry if its teasing

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.

*Nods. I read you cannot change the country to a Western one on a Japanese Wii, and as such news and whatnot have to remain in Japanese and I'll only be able to access the Japanese Virtual Console service, not the U.K one. I am not concerned about that, my concern is whether being physically located in the U.K while having my Wii set to Japanese will affect the Virtual Console buying and downloading ability..?

Last edited:
I imagine your from UK. Why not get a UK console. I mean so much hassle just for the VC?

It's your choice but im just saying

Of course it's sensible, but I wanted to purchase Japanese games to improve my Japanese ability and because of the (allegedly vast) amount of games unavailable to European users (both standard Wii and virtual Console games) that are available in Japan, I was leaning more towards buying a Japanese one. And not to mention, the price is far cheaper than the U.K due to the strong pound and weak yen at the moment and that I happen to be in Japan now...

Last edited:
i live in the US and would like to play VC from Japan and the UK (since the UK has more titles than we do). Is this even possible?

thanks for the help.

Interesting information gbesta, thanks. ^_^

I have never tried routing through a proxy before, let alone on a Wii. Would it be simple do you think?

The points and transformer sites are also well appreciated for future reference, thanks.

Please keep replies coming. I would still like to hear from someone who knows about this first-hand and any problems and such they have encountered.

i see, i kind of misinterpreted the question :eek:ut:

something which may be good for you to hear, my uncle got his wii in america, and his online works fine here in the UK :thumbsup:

hopefully there should be no difference...

I see, hopefully it would be the same, but we can never be too sure with Nintendo eh..?

So he can download games from Virtual Console from the American servers in the U.K? I'm guessing he can't change his country and access the European servers, correct?

Sorry to bump the thread back up. I hope there is someone out there who has tested the VC on a Japanese Wii abroad...

Back