Mario Kart Updates (2/6)

Eddienoteddy

mii love wii
Feb 13, 2007
CT
Wii Online Code
1656-4947-1080-8284
Mario Kart Update
New courses, online details, and Mii support!

February 6, 2008 - With Smash Bros. at last out (in Japan, at least), Nintendo appears to have penciled in Mario Kart as its next big title. We're assuming that much, considering the unexpected blowout on the game in the latest issue of Famitsu.

The Wii installment of the cart racer that started it all looks like it's going to have lots of variety. Famitsu reveals a total of 32 courses, with 16 remakes of old courses, and 16 completely new courses. New courses include Mario Circuit, Momo Country, Kinopio Factory, DK Snowboard Cross, Coconuts Mall, Kinoko Canyon, and Luigi Circuit.

Some of these courses will put a new feature of the karts to use: mid-air tricks! Karts and bikes are both capable of performing actions and tricks in the air. Get a trick just right, and your cart will perform a dash upon landing.

In addition to a ton of content, Mario Kart Wii will have some serious multiplayer options. The game will include Wi-Fi based play for up to 12 players. You'll be able to select to play against players from throughout the world, players in your country, and players on your friend list.

As part of the new network mode, Nintendo will be making use of the Wii's Channel interface in yet another unique way. We're not sure of the specifics, but it seems that you'll be able to install a Mario Kart Channel to your Wii hub to view world rankings as well as your own records.

Going along with the Wi-Fi multiplayer play, Nintendo will be giving players a means of customizing the game. You'll be able to make your very own Mii ride a bike or kart, adding that bit of you to online races.

The online mode will also expand the single player fun. The game will offer downloadable ghost data, so you can play against some of the best players.

Not big on the whole internet thing? In addition to the Wi-Fi play, the game will also let players play together the old fashioned way: through split screen for up to four.

With this Famitsu blowout just hitting Japan, we expect the Nintendo marketing machine to start getting into gear and remind everyone why Mario Kart is so great. If, as a part of that initiative, we get a chance to sample the Wii installment in advance, you can be sure we'll let you know.

Source
http://wii.ign.com/articles/849/849925p1.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the great post. I'm more excited than ever too although I can't see the Wii network supporting more than the stats channel without major network upgrades, but I'm perfectly happy with the records and rankings if that's all we really get this generation.

The thing about Wi-fi multi-player is that it would be SO SWEET to compete without having to go to split screen. Split screen has always sorta been something I don't like, even on a huge screen it just never feels like enough to see of the action, yanno what I mean?

Anyways this is my personally most anticipated game I think... can't wait. Any projected release date guesses floating about?

Thanks for the info, it's good to see that Nintendo are really getting behind the online component in this game.

Here's some more info and screens from Gonintendo... (I'm so pumped for this game)

May qualify as spoilers: (Confirmed maps)

Gonintendo said:
NEW:
“Mushroom Cup”
Luigi Circuit
Moo Moo Country
Mushroom Canyon
Toad Factory

“Flower Cup”
Mario Circuit - Figure-8 with underpass
Coconuts Mall
DK Snowboard Cross
Wario Mines

OLD:
“Shell Cup”
GC Peach Beach
DS Yoshi Falls
SFC Ghost Swamp 2
64 Mario Circuit

“Banana Cup”
64 Sherbert Land
GBA Hey Ho Beach
DS Monty Town
GC Waluigi Stadium

Other info:

Baby Peach confirmed (News in which Nmag posted, then Nintendo shot down. So, in other words.. the Nmag info confirmed)

babypeach.jpg

Gamecube controller support confirmed? (Bottom left corner)

Cubeper.jpg

Last edited:
Good to hear, I figured Mii's would be making their way into the game somehow.
Online sounds good as well.

Thanks for the heads up.
And thanks nic7 for posting the Maps.

Baby characters are just pathetic. D:

Anyway, you're all huped up for up to 12 racers playing at once, but the chances of you getting that a couple of months after release, I think that's quite slim. It was difficult trying to gather four people on the DS version for a while, that may just because I live on a freaking island though.

I wonder when it'll come to Europe. -_-

Frogger said:
Baby characters are just pathetic. D:

Anyway, you're all huped up for up to 12 racers playing at once, but the chances of you getting that a couple of months after release, I think that's quite slim. It was difficult trying to gather four people on the DS version for a while, that may just because I live on a freaking island though.

I wonder when it'll come to Europe. -_-

Well, yeah it may be a bit difficult to find players.
But your right, its harder in your area.

I will have no trouble I am sure finding fellow Kart players in Ontario.

Finding people on Mario Strikers Football was pretty easy and this game will be even bigger. I love Mario Kart. I'll be much more motivated to climb the rankings of this than Strikers. I knew Moo Moo Farm just had to be back (expcept it's Moo Moo Country?). Thanks for the thread.

CantGetAWii said:
Good to hear, I figured Mii's would be making their way into the game somehow.
Online sounds good as well.

Thanks for the heads up.
And thanks nic7 for posting the Maps.

yup and I'm one of them :yesnod:

~X

Back