Mario Kart Wii: Text Chat?!?

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
You read the headline correctly. Rather than taking the plunge and allowing online players in Mario Kart Wii to use voice chat like the rest of the civilized world, Nintendo has apparently decided that it is far more feasible to integrate text chat into the experience. Using a USB keyboard, your impossible task is to taunt and interact with your opponents while in the middle of a driving game.I think Nintendo needs a calendar. Somehow they’re stuck in 1993 or something. How on God’s green earth is anyone playing a RACING game supposed to reach down and type a text message without pretty much throwing the game away. Why are they so afraid of voice comms in-game? Yuck Nintendo.

wiiwimp.jpgI can’t help but wonder if there isn’t a more insidious reason that we’ve yet to see meaningful voice chat from the Wii. What if the Wii CAN’T do it. What if it’s such an underpowered system that they can’t get it to work reliably? Remember when Sony left rumble out of their controllers, calling it “last-gen.” Later we found out that the real reason was that they were getting their pants sued off for patent infringement.

I’m not buying what Nintendo is selling here (both figuratively and literally). I think they grossly underestimated the demand for voice comms when designing their mac-influenced PS2. But what the hell do I know? Why do you think Nintendo keeps screwing the proverbial pooch with their online experience?

nice little article. linkage

I dont think you can chat in game, only in the lobby prior too the start of a game.

Adds in threads now huh? haha nice move ion

i'm learning that sacasticgamer.com articles really suck...
sarcasm has a place, but excessive angry sarcasm is a release for people who are unhappy deep down inside...

idjut said:
i'm learning that sacasticgamer.com articles really suck...
sarcasm has a place, but excessive angry sarcasm is a release for people who are unhappy deep down inside...
learning is good, young padawan

i suppose if it actually supports in-game taunting it would be pre-programmed keyboard macros... maybe even custom macros...

idjut said:
i suppose if it actually supports in-game taunting it would be pre-programmed keyboard macros... maybe even custom macros...
oh boy!!!!!ninty is certainly pushing technology with that kind of stuff. keyboard macros? are we in 30th century?

no but i belevie smart-arses like you should stick to 360 or ps3

if your gonna complain about voicechat or text chat go **** off.nintendo have never been appreciated(for good reason) for their online play

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:

if your gonna complain about voicechat or text chat go **** off.nintendo have never been appreciated(for good reason) for their online play

No, they have been appreciated for their good games in the past, and games such as Mario Galaxy now. Do you notice that the best games Nintendo have produced don't have any online play? It's because they're new to online, and it quite frankly sucks. At least I'm hoping for Brawl to turn this around, pay to play might also, hopefully make headsets and voice chat available.

thats exactly what im saying you dont need online play for good games

nintendo suck at online but as long as i can verse people thats all i care about!

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:

u should know about me before making ccomments like that. i dont own a 360 or ps3. i jave always owned nintendo consoles. if what u say is right then why did they give wii online capabilities? certainaly they want to have a good online but they just cant make it. we would be good without text chat but i dont want to type with wii keyboard or an actual keyboard before the game or in the game. also criticizing something makes it perfect or near perfect. ninty should just introduce voice chat without having to take the step of text chat in between. i am willing to wait for that.

No, you said their online play was good, when everyone knows it really isn't! I think online play is needed for a good multiplayer.

Frogger said:
No, you said their online play was good, when everyone knows it really isn't! I think online play is needed for a good multiplayer.
when did i say that?

Frogger said:
:lol::lol: read this again... he agrees their online play is not appreciated for good reason(s)

brendo said:
...nintendo have never been appreciated(for good reason) for their online play

Back