Mario Strikers tips n tricks

LeWaffles

CUSTOM
Jul 25, 2007
Around Chicago
I noticed that some people wanted to know more info on the controls so i wrote this. Hopefully it helps. I'm not the best at this game so other user input would be cool too.
Offense
Pass- press A
Shoot- press B
Charging The Ball- hold B if you release it the character will shoot or you can press a to pass it.
*Charged balls will travel faster, meaning you have a higher freq of scoring and faster passing. The ball will loose it's charge over time you can tell by looking at it's color. If you pass it will actually add on to the charge, then player that has the ball will have a charged ball to shoot making it easier to score. White is the most charge with yellow being second. Always shoot with a White ball. Passing using just a also adds onto the charge, but at a lesser rate.(Skippy)
Special Shots-If you hold onto b long enough while charging it will activate either of these shots.
If you charge with a reg player it will activate this
Skillshot- sidekick character will power up the ball until it automatically shoots the ball in it's own unique way some better than others but usually it has a higher frequency of scoring or will create a chance to score(some will hit the goalie on purpose to knock him out giving you a free shot on the goal).
If you charged with a captain
Megastrke- instead of automatically shooting the ball you will see a meter with a cursor. Still holding B will start to move the cursor to the left. How long you hold the cursor will determine the amount of shots taken 3-6. after you release b the cursor will quickly move back to the right. Tap B to stop the cursor near the orange outline, stopping in the green is ok too. This determines the speed of the shots, obviously making it harder for your opponent to stop them.

Defence
Hard Slide Tackle- flick the wiimote left or right
Reg Slide Tackle- press the D-Pad
*The difference? A hard slide tackle will knock out your victim longer and move them farther from the ball. The victim has a high chance in getting an item.
A reg slide tackle will steal the ball from the player but will only trip him. The victim has a low chance in getting an item.
Megastrike Defence- you will now assume your goalies position as you now see a pair of hands controlled by the wiimote. Just hit A when you see the balls coming.

Advanced Moves
Charged Pass Shot-Charge Pass to one of your teammates and hit b, the camera will zoom in on the player and it slows down as well. These shots have a high frequency of scoring while giving the defence less time to react.
Lobs-when a player lobs the ball into the air a circle will highlight the ground, indicating where the ball will go.
Lob Pass- hold Z and A to lob the pass over the defenders
Lobbed Shot- Select a player and go under or aroung the circled area. When the ball gets close hit B to shoot. This type of shot has a higher frequency of scoring then a charged pass shot and is not susceptable to an interception(it can't be stolen while in the air), but gives the defence more time to react.
*Lobs can be stolen as they come closer to the ground however. Using a defender hit a around the circle area to steal it, as well as preventing the offense from shooting a lobbed shot. another way of defending against the lobbed shot is to slide tackle your opponents player near the area while the ball is still in the air. the game may reward your opponent with an item however.
Lob Shot-(Not the same as a Lobbed Shot) hold Z and press B to shoot the ball high in the air.
*Not very useful, the goalie will always catch it, useful only if the goalie is stunned.
Offensive Deke-Hit the d-pad to activate, sometimes a charged ball will make the move travel farther making it more effective. Just like skillshots each character has a dif deke.
Charge Kick-press Z when you have posession of the ball, the player will kick the ball a short distance in front of him, possession of the ball again and repeat till the ball is fully charged. 3 of these kicks to yourself will charge the ball to white. (Doosta)
*this is the fastest way to charge the ball, however it leaves you highly vulnrable to slide tackles or steals.
Techniques
This section is to show the different techniques and how to defend them.

Hammer Spammers-These players will stack Hammer Bros against your team, using their dekes and thier skillshots to score easy goals. They start by passing it to a Bro then using thier deke by dropping a hammer. They do this in a pattern to advance near the goal while also trying to knockout other players, to give them a free shot. When they're close enough and no one is around or knocked out by thier deke they will charge up and use thier skillshot (which is throwing a hammer at the goalie then shooting the ball)giving them an easy automatic goal. This shot has limited range however.
*to defend against a Spammer knock them out with a carefully timed slide tackle, they are vulnrable when they land (not when the Hammer lands! the character itself). The player will make it hard for you to hit them and will try to knock you out with thier deke. its hard at first but eventually you will be able to dodge the hammer and learn will the bro will land.

Lobbers- These players will Charge Lob Pass the ball over your defence and finish you off with a Charged Lob Shot.
*Just practice defending against the lob pass or use the reg slide tackle and take out thier players. You also have the option of reg slide tackling your opponents without the ball so the ball carrier has no one to pass to or will pass to no one

Slide Tackle Abusers-These players will slide tackle anyone, with and without the ball hitting you constantly and leaving you with less options to pass to.
* To counter this bring the ball up with a character with a good deke and a good shot. If you execute your deke it can knock the one of the abusers tacklers leaving someone open including the character you have yourself. Getting hit with slide tackles also gives you more items so use them to knock the abuser and give yourself room to shoot.

Scoring With Dekes-There are three relatively difficult but effective techniques.

Goalie Jumpers-Using a speed characters deke (with the exception of Daisy), the player will jump/teleport over the goalie and will walk into the goal. It's hard to time it/distance it and some characters do it better than others. If timed/distanced wrong the goalie will toss you up in mid air deke. The best would be Toad and Diddy are the only ones.
*There are some soft spots where the goalie will always dive for the ball, which is key and the only way to do this sucessfully. Line up the jumper perpendicular to the goalie box, (facing the front goal near the edge of the line and press the deke.) other spots are on the sides at an angle.

Teleporters-Using certain characters you can reappear into the goal at a certain spot. Most teleporters need to be fully charged then be set in the right spot to appear at the end of the goal. Daisy, Waluigi, and Dry Bones are able to do this. Set a teleporter a fex bowser lengths from the edge of the goalie box, charge up a bit then press deke. Distance yourself too close will result in your player running into the electric fence, too long will result in getting crushed by the goalie.

Boo Fake-move only usable by Boo. Move Boo into the goalie, then press deke at the last second side-stepping him, then press Z. The whole thing looks like a juke then a shot. It requires no charging and is extremely effective.

*My best advice is to stop the player from getting close, or possibly go behind the goalie and wait if it's a jumper. A teleporter is easier to handle, they're vulnrable for a second after the opponent hits the d-pad so hit them then. Pros know how to time the jumps/teleports well, but once in awhile you'll get a break at least. Usually the higher ranking players use these strategies and win usually without firing a shot.

Systematic Technique #1-These guys take the fun out of the game. While it's fairly uncommon, some players will choose to do this. They use a jumper, usually Toad, they jump the goalie from the side then they pass it off to another player giving him/her a wide open shot. How it works; 1. the jumper will press thier deke 2. Pass the ball in mid air deke 3. land on the goalie, distracting him, while the other player the jumper passed it too has a wide open goal. Kritter will dive for the ball, but to no avail. It's so easy and the guy will do this in a rythmic pattern. In this case i say it's okay to disconnect, and do it right before they are about to win. hahahaha!
-or- another perspective from big rhymes
I've had alot more time to practice this "Systematic Technique" myself and I have to admit that properly pulling it off can be tricky. It's the sorta situation where it's up to the man in control to pull it off. And when he's got it down, the only possible option is to foul him. However, you can keep an eye open for the Systematic Player's tell move, which is the barrier chip! This is essentially the same move as Dry Bones and Toad uses to score with jukes... when they run toward the top or bottom of the screen and chip away from you and make a move toward the corner. Keep and eye on his strong shooters! If one of them is open for the pass, you're a sitting duck. The most you can do here is try and get a fast player into position to intercept the one-timer, or to foul his intended shooter's balls off. This is why it's often beneficial to have a playmaker in your defense position.
Sometimes it's just too well played to avoid, but you can pick off the less than perfect Sytematic attacks with some careful observation.

Disconnectors-Sore losers that disconnect the network and quit so thier stats don't get ruined. it loses pts as well from both players(DavidUK200)
*Can't do anything about it.
I admit i've done it maybe 5 or so times mostly when i just started playing and didn't know how to defend against the techniques. Now hopefully you won't have to quit now that you know the basics NOT described in the tutorial. Unless you play a Systematic player, then by all means, screw that jackass over.

Match-Best of 3 games, timed session lasts 3 min, with sudden death.
Season-Ranking system on National scale based on points you earn restarts every five days, but your win loss record will still be saved.
Points-10 for a victory, plus one for each goal, maximum pts to earn in one match is 20.
Divisions-you can only play against people in your own division, North Americans, Europeans,Asia cannot play against each other. Not sure about the exact countries.
Friend Code- 12 digit code needed to network with other users.
*Found in the Friend Roster at the top. (Friend Roster is located in the wi-fi mode after you select your mii)

Youtube Vids
How to Score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qCh3U-Ik0
How to Score Crazy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asl5jdip9Hw&NR=1
Anything else?

Last edited:
Just to add to that not so much add but a bit of info. dicsconnecting looses you points

That's a nice guide! Very helpful since I just bought the game and I stink :lol:

you can also charge the ball by pressing "z" chip shot. like 2-3 of those gives you a white shot. but you have to either do that when you're by yourself, or have a fast player. your opponent can easily slide or hard hit you and get that ball. kind of an advanced way to get the ball charged but its the faster way

So how do you charge lob pass?

I'm new at the game as well and I don't really know how to charge lob pass, I can lob pass though...

Morg4 said:
So how do you charge lob pass?

I'm new at the game as well and I don't really know how to charge lob pass, I can lob pass though...
well you charge a lob pass simply by holding B then pointing the nunchuck at a character and then pressing A. If you hold too long then you know either special sidekick shot or megastrike so yea. Oh yea to lob it you also have to dol Z gl... =)

doosta said:
you can also charge the ball by pressing "z" chip shot. like 2-3 of those gives you a white shot. but you have to either do that when you're by yourself, or have a fast player. your opponent can easily slide or hard hit you and get that ball. kind of an advanced way to get the ball charged but its the faster way
lol even i learned something in here :lol: , what is that like exactly please describe it more, i'm not sure if i'm familiar with it.

Wii-Fi said:
lol even i learned something in here :lol: , what is that like exactly please describe it more, i'm not sure if i'm familiar with it.

Whenever you need a quick charge, and you have lob stealers and slide stealers. if you're in your backfield and have someone quick with the ball, by pressing "z" you will chip the ball ahead of you and you simply have run after to get it before your opponent does. So about 2-3 of these and you got a charged ball. When I get home, I'll do a demo, and post it in here. But its simply a quick way to get a charged ball or just waste time at the end of a game. :lol: I've done that plenty of times.

edited- here's a video i made of chipping the ball to charge it up. it takes exactly 3 chips to get a white charge from a dead ball. watch toad and drybones early and late in the video. also in the video, i demonstrated a skillshot, and two lob passes to shot. if you want me to demonstrate some other examples i'll be glad to.

Last edited:
video posted but the loading time is the sucks

Last edited:
Also lobbing/chipping gives you a tiny speed boost that might get you past an opponent who is tackeling you ( I know it works that way for me sometimes when I time it right )

Back