me smash!

Mapei

WiiChat Member
Nov 3, 2007
Hi... i am playing super smash brothers melee in anticipation of brawl. I had never been good but this is the first smash bros game I owned.

One of my roommates wins all the time though, so does anybody have any tips on how to get better quick and win at smash? Me smash!!!

dodge a lot, and use a fast character (I prefer marth he has good aerials and you can use all of his specials in the air too)

Smash only when you know they can't dodge it and try to get combos by usuing weaker attacks.

I try to finish people off with aerials but I'd say you can finish them off any way and still be good.

Practice, sometime when you play your roomate don't even try to hit him much just practice dodging (R and a direction) and shielding at the right times.

learn to read attacks and the lag between em.

and just little things like
for example: kirby & jigglypuff

when an oppenet throws an item your way just duck, they get low enough to dodge em.

play stock against a team of 3 random char bots on very hard. when you can beat those bots youll probably be ready to whip your friend.

try playing alone?! and whenever you can?!

play all story/adventure modes. beat alot of event modes. and do alot of those wire frame things. then start fighting computers in vs mode. the rest of it will help train you to learn things you'll need to know.

Yep, tell us who you play as, but usually the C stick works well against slower reflexed opponents when you want to finish them off. (With a lot of damage)

^Frequently using the C Stick, as well as jumping with the control stick, are two of the worst habits you can get into.

LevesqueIsKing said:
^Frequently using the C Stick, as well as jumping with the control stick, are two of the worst habits you can get into.

Agreed. I hate people who use the C-stick. And why would you jump with the control stick...it's stupid. It makes it much harder to pull off aerials and it's just harder than pushing a button.

thanks for the replies yall.

just finished playing a couple rounds, it realy is a skill game, i know this because of how consistently i lose.. the closest I got to a victory was with Mario. He's my best char so I guess I'd consider him my mainstay... fun to play. But I havent unlocked all the chars (just jigglypuff so far) or learned how to play others well, thus far I like Kirby too.

Those vids are cool Levesque, i like infected mushroom music selection. Just watched the first video and I'll try out some of those techniques after..

What is an 'aerial'? is that just pressing a for a regular attack in the air??

I cant reliably do smash attacks...is there some secret to it?

And anyway, is playing stock against 3 on very hard (3 against 1?) and winning actually possible, Lugia?

Gonna practice dodging..and smashing

Thanks everybody, again. later

Last edited:
on melee mode (2 player mode) i use the c stick (its yellow) to do fast smash attacks because its a little better than pressing 2 butons at once

but if you like to charge the smash attacks then use the A button

^Break that habit before Brawl comes out.

Mapei said:
thanks for the replies yall.

just finished playing a couple rounds, it realy is a skill game, i know this because of how consistently i lose.. the closest I got to a victory was with Mario. He's my best char so I guess I'd consider him my mainstay... fun to play. But I havent unlocked all the chars (just jigglypuff so far) or learned how to play others well, thus far I like Kirby too.

Those vids are cool Levesque, i like infected mushroom music selection. Just watched the first video and I'll try out some of those techniques after..

What is an 'aerial'? is that just pressing a for a regular attack in the air??

I cant reliably do smash attacks...is there some secret to it?

And anyway, is playing stock against 3 on very hard (3 against 1?) and winning actually possible, Lugia?

Gonna practice dodging..and smashing

Thanks everybody, again. later
1. Yes, this is a very competetive game. You will not win many matches through luck.
2. An aerial is any move that you use in the air. There are neutral aerials (just press a in the air) forward aerials (A+Forward in the air) Backward aerials (A+Back in the air) Down aerials (A+Down in the air) and Up aerials (A+Up in the air).
3. No. This seems to be a tough thing to become accustomed to for new smashers, because not many games have you pressing two things at once. Practice practice practice. SSB is a game about timing, there are no shortcuts.
4. If you can play a human opponent, that will be much better than playing the computer. Otherwise, just play 1v1 matches against varying enemies.
5. There are many different types of dodges. You can shield by pressing L/R. You can roll by shielding and then pressing Left/Right. You can Ground dodge by pressing L/R and down, and you can air dodge by pressing L/R(With a direction) in the air.

Mapei said:
yea, it is if you know what youre doing. it includes alot of waiting for your enemies to come to you. it helps you with youre timing and you learn what moves to use fighting up and down hill. leves gave alot strategy for 1 on 1 but most of that you wouldnt bother doing against 3 people or bots for that matter.

LevesqueIsKing said:

What are you talking about???? Let's say someone has aboutg 150% damage. Why not hit the C stick??? You get the kill instantly. Not using the C stick would be idiotic in that situation.

Back