My 30-min Play Review of Happy Feet

rtr1900

Wii or not to Wii
Nov 30, 2006
Spain
Wii Online Code
3085-1225-3534-6165
My 30-min Play Review of Happy Feet

As a father of a "almost" 5 year old girl it is difficult to find any good games for her age. Mostly the games are too difficult or just too violence. So when I saw one day the game Happy Feet in the store with a discount of 50% (from 59,95€ to only 29,95€) I thought it would be great for her. She saw the movies, we have the DVD, so what could be wrong.
I read some reviews (gamespot for example) and they turned the game down. But what do they know as reviewers, I believe the best review is from a user, not a magazine reporter (he, we all know they only like fast action, FPS and stuff like that).So let me start after this small intro with my 30-min Play Review of HAppy feet.

I am sure that most of you all are familiar with the movie Happy Feet. If not, the movie is about a small pinguin called Muble, and who isn´t great in singing like the rest of his friends, he likes to tapdance. And got rejected by his friends,get himself in some kind of trouble and like always save the day. The movie is very good, especially for the small ones, althought I must admit I enjoyed it also. Ok, now we know what the movie is, but how about the game?

You can say that the game is seperated in three kind of games: Tapdancing, Sliding and Swimming

1) Tapdancing:
Here you must syncronize your movement with some arrows on the screen, while listening to the music. On the screen you will see the four directions of the pointers (Left,right,iup and down), and from the buttom flies an arrow to the upper side of the screen. And in the moment it touches the pointer at the top of screen you must move your remote to that direction. It
seems very simple, but gets very hard sometimes..... Being Mumble isn´t that easy.
pj-vj-happyfeet-1.jpg

2) Sliding:
This is the best part of the games, also it has the best action in my opinion and the little ones will like this one the most as it is also the most easy one. Just slide on your belly and avoid the slow parts of the course. And sometimes you need to collect stuff and make your way to the end first. It is like a snowrace "who get first down, is the winner". I really liked this part.
hapywi003.jpg

3) Swimming
The swimming part is much like the sliding, but here you have to swim, collect hearts and later on even avoiding the Leopard Seals and the Killer Whales. Also you must collect bubbles so you can stay longer under water.AL just like in the movie.

scr_001

The GFX are very good done. It feels like there are taken from the movies. Some scenes do remind you of the movies, like when Muble comes out of the egg. Or the Killer Whale chase.

The SFX are very clever done. There are a lot of good songs, not all the songs are from the movie. But I believe it has something to do with the copyright. Still the songs which are in the game are fantastic. You sure will have some moments where you will say "he, I know that song".

They effect are correct, nothing special, just right in place.

The gamebox says 3+, I would agree with them as it doesn´t have any violence stuff in it, just cuddle little Mumble and his friends. Still I would have given a 5+, because I believe children of that age will be mostly interested in playing it. My girl likes it, but it is complicated for here to play alone. She prefers playing Wiiplay or WarioWare than this (which surprised me a lot as she liked the movie) alone, if I am playing with here, she does play the game.

Result:

GFX: 8.0/10
SFX: 7.9/10
Gameplay: 7.5/10

Overal 7.8/10

The game is a great game for the children, even my neighbour (10 year old) like to play with it. Still it isn´t suitable for little children (<5 years old). The games is really a three game, which repeats itself over and over again with some differences. But hé, that is what children want, right?.... Again daddy, again daddy (Sounds familiar?)

If your children liked the movie and the are crazy about Mumble, they will like the game. The games isn´t very easy, still after some practise youw ill get the hang of it.

And if you can get it for a bargain price like I did, I would go for it.

If you want any more feedback, just ask me, I am happy to respond.:yesnod:

If you like it then click on my reputation button on the left..... hope to make some other reviews very soon.....

Kenji510 said:
The tapdancing kinda reminds me of DDR, haha... you gotta tap the arrows as you follow the music and such.

Ye, except that here you hace to move the remote, instead of using the arrows.

Nice review although the graphics were about a 6/10 when I went to my younger brother's friend's house to play it. the gameplay was good though, and of course the settings were realistic.

It's lame from most of our points of view, yes. But that's not the point here. The point is that the kids might like it. So it's a review catering more for the parents than the 16-20 somethings that dominate this forum. :]

Nice review, good to see something different now and again.

I agree, it's all about point of view. It does look kind of lame, and I know that if I bought it I would feel like I wasted my money, but then again this game wasn't meant for me. The reason games like this get bad reviews is because they're not geared toward the demographic that reviews tend to lean toward, but that doesn't mean the game sucks.

Edit: Sorry about the little rant, I'm just tired of hearing all the "all the games for the Wii suck" comments (in general, not just wiichat.com).

FR. said:
Nice review although the graphics were about a 6/10 when I went to my younger brother's friend's house to play it. the gameplay was good though, and of course the settings were realistic.

I agree with giving an 6/10 for the GFX if we compare it with some other games, but mostly I try to compare it with itself. Like, "have they used they right GFX for reflecting the game?". If you would compare it with the Wii Power, I am sure that they could have used better GFX, but I believe it is just right to give us the feeling of the world of Mumble. They game doesn´t need any pixelshading or stuff like that. It does gave me the feeling that it was taken from the Movie, o that is why I gav it an 8.0. Ofcourse that is my point of view.

Dazzel:
Yes, my idea of my review(s) is to help other people to get an idea of the game from a user point of view. Also, this one was especially dedicated to all the parents out there, who have trouble finding the right games for their loved ones.... Cu you in my next review.

Back