My Soul Calibur: Legends Review

Mingus

Any Mingus Tea?
Aug 21, 2007
Dayton, Ohio
I picked this game up the other day looking forward to testing it out and surely did get that chance.

From many of the advertisements on the internet there is a lot of hype about a co-op mode. If you are buying this game for co-op play think again! It is not really co-op but has about three co-op level run throughs. A buddy and myself played through all three and turned the game off for a little while after the first miserable experience. Other than that there are three VS. levels to be played along with three special competitive challenges. A total of nine different co-op levels. The VS mode displays a similar Soul Calibur feel we've all seen before. The competitive challenges consist mainly of things such as collecting more items or killing more enemies than the other player. This is basically all co-op has to offer.

As far a the campaign goes, well the story is ok. Obviously another story about Soul Edge and the power contained in the weapon.

Graphics in the game are the biggest let down. The game looks awful. 64-bit graphics through the game including in-between gameplay videos. Some videos consist of anime and voice-acting which is another let down.

Controlling the charcter is difficult as far as completing combos and hitting enemies correctly. Mainly all attacks are simply controlled by moving the Wii Remote in specific directions. Jumping is controlled by pressing B which feels awkward. I felt that A should have been jump but that wasn't too big of an issue.

There is a lacking of Characters from what I've seen. I haven't been able to unlock any atm and I'm unsure if that is even possible but the available characters aren't very good IMO.

If anyone wants to add to this go right ahead. I need to get further into the game before I have more input. But from what I've seen this game is a crash and burn. Pretty much, the developers were just looking to make a quick few bucks rather than a good game.

Last edited:
yeah it's gotten quite bad reviews. . . .I want Soulcalibur IV :(

I was pisssed when I found out SC4 wasn't gonna be on the Wii.

I had a hunch this game would flop, I knew they couldn't pull of a good Soulcalibur adventure game.

i agree that the game could have been made muuuuch better than it is right now....you know....more characters etc...

also, don't pay so much attention to the reviews as they are based to 1 person's opinion..(i don't mean yours, so don't misunderstand, it's a good review actually)
also, the reviewer's rate is usually about 6, while player's is about 8,6!

*mario party got 5 on reviews, and it sold 2.5 million++ !!

also, here are some new videos:
http://wii.qj.net/Soul-Calibur-Legends-gameplay-videos-cinematic-opening/pg/49/aid/108453

they seem to be cool, so watch them if you plan to buy the game.
it seems very good to me, so i'm getting it once it comes to europe... :)

i find nothing bad, graphics seem good to me, also characters choosen are good (even if only 7), also story seems to be cool along with the controls....

there are also some gamer's reviews which give 9.0 or 9.4 to the game....so don't pay much attention to reviews, as they suck more than the reviewers.... ;p
( i mean ign reviews and so on.... )

Last edited:
I felt that SC:L was a quite solid game tbh.

Truth be told: The controls are a tad odd to understand at first, but after about the 3ed mission you sould understand the basic attacks, and you can change the controlers "controls" (3 preset types; one making "A" jump).

Pros:
Fun gameplay
Good story
Cool "Sprit Break" moves

Cons:
Lack of players
"Reuse" of levels (aka use more then once with little or no change)

Overall: I liked this game, and would call it a very good Rent, and a good "On Sale" buy.

Nice review, and thanks for focusing somewhat on the co-op play aspect. That was one of the reasons I was still considering buying this game, but it seems there isn't much there in that department. If I read correctly, there are only 3 'true' co-op levels in this game? and then there are other 'vs.' levels where you're both playing at the same time, but competing against and/or fighting each other?

Game Informer gave it a 4 and said story was was brainless and was hilariously bad. So I doubt the story was okay. Unless all you've been playing is Wii games.

Funny quote from the review:

"People like Soulcalibur. People like the Wii. This is how you take advantage of those people and betray their trust"

I was thinking of getting this game, but reviews are way to bad. Game Informer is pretty accurate because they dont have outside funding so they arent biased or swayed in a certain direction since all there money comes from magazine sales.

lenitao3 said:
i agree that the game could have been made muuuuch better than it is right now....you know....more characters etc...

also, don't pay so much attention to the reviews as they are based to 1 person's opinion..(i don't mean yours, so don't misunderstand, it's a good review actually)
also, the reviewer's rate is usually about 6, while player's is about 8,6!

*mario party got 5 on reviews, and it sold 2.5 million++ !!

also, here are some new videos:
http://wii.qj.net/Soul-Calibur-Legends-gameplay-videos-cinematic-opening/pg/49/aid/108453

they seem to be cool, so watch them if you plan to buy the game.
it seems very good to me, so i'm getting it once it comes to europe... :)

i find nothing bad, graphics seem good to me, also characters choosen are good (even if only 7), also story seems to be cool along with the controls....

there are also some gamer's reviews which give 9.0 or 9.4 to the game....so don't pay much attention to reviews, as they suck more than the reviewers.... ;p
( i mean ign reviews and so on.... )

So by your logic of not trusting one person's score, we shouldn't trust user reviews either. Or are you just trusting them, because you want this game to be good (and they give higher scores)?

Hopefully, you realize how flawed your logic is regarding reviews. Not only in the sense described above, but also by the fact that when pretty much EVERY profesional review unanimously rates this game as bad, it is no long the review of just one person. You now have a poor composite score taking into account MANY poor reviews from MANY professional reviewers.

And I'll take the word of professional reviewers (individuals who dedicate their working lives to games and have probably played every game since they were 10) over some 10 year old kid, who has played perhaps a handful of Wii games (and that's the least of the problems regarding his or her faulty analysis of the game).

And PS: Stop bringing up the sales figures of Mario Party 8. High sales do not equal quality product. Heck, thousands upon thousands of people would have bought Mario Party 8 had Nintendo literally stuck a turd in the case--at least they would have saved peoples time by getting directly to the point).

This is also analogous to console sales and these silly console wars. Volume sold does not equal quality. *Runs and hides*

Last edited:
Atomheart said:
So by your logic of not trusting one person's score, we shouldn't trust user reviews either. Or are you just trusting them, because you want this game to be good (and they give higher scores)?

Hopefully, you realize how flawed your logic is regarding reviews. Not only in the sense described above, but also by the fact that when pretty much EVERY profesional review unanimously rates this game as bad, it is no long the review of just one person. You now have a poor composite score taking into account MANY poor reviews from MANY professional reviewers.

And I'll take the word of professional reviewers (individuals who dedicate their working lives to games and have probably played every game since they were 10) over some 10 year old kid, who has played perhaps a handful of Wii games (and that's the least of the problems regarding his or her faulty analysis of the game).

And PS: Stop bringing up the sales figures of Mario Party 8. High sales do not equal quality product. Heck, thousands upon thousands of people would have bought Mario Party 8 had Nintendo literally stuck a turd in the case--at least they would have saved peoples time by getting directly to the point).

This is also analogous to console sales and these silly console wars. Volume sold does not equal quality. *Runs and hides*

actually he's actually somewhat right. Reviews are just 1 or 2 people. Thats why you should never really listen to 1 review. And yes, users generally rate games higher than a Reviewer. Because user reviews arent being realistic and alot of people are fanboys and cant keep themselves from being unbiased. I saw someone give WWE smackdown a 10 while the reviewers gave it a very low score because it was horrible. Yet this 1 guy claims a wrestling game is one of the best ever made... Yea thats trustworthy... Also you cant really rely on review websites that are funded by an outside company. Neutral magazines are the best way to get reviews which is why I like Game Informer, most all there money comes from their magazine sales so they're alot less biased when it comes to the console and they rate things according to quality based on all consoles. While other reviewers can be biased towards a certain console or games because they may be getting payed for putting up advertisements. Worst magazines to get reviews from "Official Xbox Magazine", "Playstation Magazine" and "Nintendo Power" they are ALWAYS biased towards they're games.

I dont think that making all this tension over a game is anyones life goal, so lets just take a step back.

I say T3kNi9e and lenitao3 both have very good points the their reviews, but take into account that it is just a review. Note: reviews are ment to display themselves, not attack one another.

Moreover. T3kNi9e and lenitao3, keep up the good work at stating your thoughts, but let the people reading review (who can read differences in text) make up their own mind.

My review

It's shite don't buy nuff said get a PS3 and get SC4 this game truly does suck

Back