New Sony Concept Controller

Shiftfallout

shiftfallout.com
Mar 9, 2007
Hollywood
Well, as usual I tend to get technical. After playing all three consoles for a period of time, i kept wondering how the controller for the PS3 could get better without abandoning its award winning dual shock design. Basically a form that works with developers so they wouldnt have to change anything to make their games compatible but at the same time offering a new style of play.

Since i posted the interview with Trentton from sony, i couldnt get this out of my head:
GP: Would Sony ever consider releasing an updated "pro" controller, maybe with offset analog sticks and rumble support at a slightly higher price?

TRETTON: We used to have a narrow approach to controllers. If you really wanted to move outside the standard controller, we left it up to third party manufacturers. But now we're moving to a regional approach. You will see peripherals coming from SCEA that will address the interests of the U.S. consumer. I don't have anything to tell you specifically, but we're certainly open to changing the Sixaxis controller if it addressed North American gamers.

Finally i just sat down to put whats been going on in my head into visual form.
Here is it.

jonathanmichaelsconceptfj9.jpg

handscontroller7jonathafi3.jpg

This concept focuses on the plan that HOME will play a big part in the future for the PS3. As well as breaking the restrictions of using a controller that is always stuck together. It also incorporates using the PSP along side the design merging controller and portable device. The best part is, is that there is no need for using both "stix", one is fine and can take advantage of any attachments made.

Anyways, share your thoughts. NO FLAMING. Im serious, be mature for once, and YES i know the hands are tiny. LOL you try doing this in photoshop from scrap.

Last edited:
chain blade said:
Hhahah!That looks crap,looks like someone broke it in two!:D

im sorry but what part of "NO FLAMING. Im serious, be mature for once" Didnt you understand?

Celestial said:
Looks really big, why exactly does it need a wrist strap?

I have been hit by many a flying wiimote, seen cats get knocked unconcious and many objects broken.. cautionary measures call for a strap.

I can't help but think that you were influenced by the wiimote-nunchuck combo of the Wii. I think that you have something there with the PSP attachment at the bottom, but the handles of the 12-Axis (whatever you want to call it) would be to large and bulky. If the PSP screen was touch sensative then it could double as a keyboard, but hey that's how it rolls with Sony.

Not trying to flame here but it's just a copy of the Wii for a PS3, Nintendo didn't come up with the idea for people to copy them. Sony must be very happy with their controller as they have stuck with it for 3 consoles, everyone is use to it, I see this as a good feature for the PS3, Pick up & Play.

Also I do like the idea of the keyboard attachment, however surely a keyboard of that size does not speed up typing, I would just rather plug in a keyboard.

Last edited:
well the concept of having a one handed and non connected controller has been around for awhile, before the wii. But the real question is, why does the PS3 controller have to be connected... it really doesnt have to be. Sony had filed for the sixaxis way before nintendo announced the wiimote, but as nintendo has shown, you lose a lot of the potential of montion sensing when keeping a controler attached to both hands.

WiiGod said:
Not trying to flame here but it's just a copy of the Wii for a PS3, Nintendo didn't come up with the idea for people to copy them.

Nintendo didnt come up with the idea period. They all took their ideas from someone else. Thats how it works, and then they build upon it. Standardize it. In Sonys case, they were dealt a blow when going into legal battles with Immersion (like microsoft had to). Out goes the rumble feature and what do they have? They have a backwards compatible system and an award winning dual shock controller.. They have their sixaxis for awhile, so it didnt come as a suprise when they stuck with the safer course. Nintendo is really good at making controllers, but it seems like there were some speed bumps over at sony when trying to get their controllers out the door.

I didnt create this as a copy, its merely how the controller can best be utilized while keeping its form.

Last edited:
I have been hit by many a flying wiimote, seen cats get knocked unconcious and many objects broken.. cautionary measures call for a strap.

Seriously? 'Many a flying wiimote' You'd think that after the first few times of being concussed by a Wiimote you would learn when to duck, :thumbsup:
Unless you live with a family of hardcore baseball pitchers of course.

SamuS said:
Seriously? 'Many a flying wiimote' You'd think that after the first few times of being concussed by a Wiimote you would learn when to duck, :thumbsup:
Unless you live with a family of hardcore baseball pitchers of course.

usually a bunch of drunken friends who get a little too...excited. The girls are the worst, they dont hold on as tight but swing harder. lol

Shiftfallout said:
Nintendo didnt come up with the idea period. They all took their ideas from someone else. Thats how it works, and then they build upon it. Standardize it. In Sonys case, they were dealt a blow when going into legal battles with Immersion (like microsoft had to). Out goes the rumble feature and what do they have? They have a backwards compatible system and an award winning dual shock controller.. They have their sixaxis for awhile, so it didnt come as a suprise when they stuck with the safer course. Nintendo is really good at making controllers, but it seems like there were some speed bumps over at sony when trying to get their controllers out the door.

I didnt create this as a copy, its merely how the controller can best be utilized while keeping its form.

I am well aware of the fact that Nintendo didn’t come up with the idea, although now reading back I see how it looks like that's what I meant, however I meant to suggest that the PS3 will surely be flamed for copying another company’s big success even if they did create it first, Nintendo’s biggest feature is the motion and that’s what the whole console relies on. So even though I know and you may know that idea was not created by Nintendo that is not exactly the way it will be seen and Sony are in enough trouble with their console not selling brilliantly even though they are loosing money that this will become a new reason to bully the PS3 even more so.

I also accept the fact that you would like to utilize the full potential of the controller for Sony, and I don't have anything against that and if anything I admire it as I haven't got the creativeness to do so lol.

Back