Nintendo America: No Wii Hardrives

LeWaffles

CUSTOM
Jul 25, 2007
Around Chicago
http://wii.qj.net/Nintendo-America-there-s-no-need-for-a-Wii-hard-drive/pg/49/aid/106864

There's been rumors of a hard drive for the Wii ever since... well, a long time ago. Every time the rumor surfaces though, Nintendo's always said no. This time, Nintendo America's PR manager Eric Walter squashes future hopes of its appearance by saying that the console has no need for a hard drive.

Walter explains that it's really not necessary for the Wii to have a hard drive:

The way that we look at it is, we really don't want people storing every single game they buy on their drive. When you buy a game, it's yours forever, so you can delete it, and go back and get it at any time you want. In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on.

Walter's remarks probably won't squash the rumors, and it definitely won't squash the demands of the gamers. How far can the demands go? Only time will tell.

Screw you guys, i def want a hardrive.

well with all the wiiware games coming out, i mean seriously if ur gonna come out with these dl games you gotta have ur customers save it somewhere, an SD card update would be nice. B/c i've read that people have needed to delete some of thier games to save/gain space for other games.

Not everyone likes to delete their files after playing :(

With the VC games I plan to purchase, future channel releases, and the next few years of games, I'm hoping that 512 MB will be enough.

Yeah, with all that stuff that could come out...
Wiiware
New Channels
VC games
Downloadable content for games

That stuff could add up. They will definantly need to realize the truth soon that some people might need more space. 512 MB doesn't work for us all, maybe for the more casual gamers, but for people that play a lot and are big videogame fanatics, heh, you see where i'm going.

Yeah, I agree.
We will need more space soon enough.
I don't like deleting game save data either.
Still have my n64 saves..Gamecube saves etc.

Maybe not SD cards though, maybe they will come out with some sort of Wii memory card :lol: o_O

I would like a hard drive though, and would easily hand out the cash for one.

Already posted. Actually i thinks its the exact same post, almost copied and pasted lol. So ill go get what i said in that one.

wow. why the helll does ninty think i would rather delete my games and go back to download them again if i wanna play em later, instead of just saving everything i want to the system. And how can they say its in the likeness of an ipod? the ipod has 80 gb of space for a reason. so you dont have to delete to replace. ninty sounds pretty damn retarted there.

Ohh. I don't like that one tiny bit! Nintendo needs to come out with something! I mean a usb flash drive would be perfect!

Wii-Fi said:
http://wii.qj.net/Nintendo-America-there-s-no-need-for-a-Wii-hard-drive/pg/49/aid/106864

The way that we look at it is, we really don't want people storing every single game they buy on their drive. When you buy a game, it's yours forever, so you can delete it, and go back and get it at any time you want.

What a liar this guy from Nintendo is. Mine forever, huh? I had to get rid of my original Wii a while back, and just recently purchased a new one. Now, I have to re-download (and BUY again) all of the VC games that I had originally purchased. Why? Because the VC games that you buy are linked to the Wii that you bought them on. That has got to be the most stupid thing I have ever heard of. I've gone through three Xbox 360s, and I've been able to re-download all of my purchased content without any problems every single time. How is that? Because the purchase data is linked to my online account, not the console.

Nintendo really needs to step up and get their act together. Come on now. Why in the name of god would you link a purchase to a console? They have you link your Wii to your Nintendo online account anyway, so they should just link all of your purchases to that account, as well. My Nintendo online account even still shows all of the VC games that I had originally purchased on my first Wii, yet even after linking this new one to my Nintendo online account they are still not re-downloadable for free - I have to buy them all over again. Very annoying, very frustrating, very sad.

To get back on topic - 512MB of internal memory is nothing. Most people don't have to wipe their songs off of their iPods because most people have REAL iPods that have REAL hard drives in them. I highly doubt that most people have more than 30-160GB of MP3s. Sorry to keep bringing up the Xbox 360; but, my 360 has a 120GB hard drive and it's already about 3/4 of the way filled. I love downloadable content and games. That's what the hard drive is there for, and I absolutely take full advantage of it. Nintendo really needs to wake up and come out with a Wii that has a hard drive, or come out with a hard drive attachment for the existing Wii. The 120GB hard drive upgrade for the Xbox 360 is currently $179.99 I believe; but, I wouldn't mind paying $149.99 for a 120GB (or thereabouts) hard drive attachment for the Wii.

Also, give us more pages for the these VC games! On my old Wii I had almost all of the pages full with VC games - it was ridiculous. Now there are even MORE games out that I want to get. There just isn't enough real estate for all of these games; and, deleting them, IMO, is a very poor solution to this situation.

Sorry for such a long post, everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the read, though. :)

Well what we could do is full up their "everybody votes" channel with the same polls of having an external hdd for the wii so that it can go world wide and because of the big amount of gamers wanting it maybe they would think about building one! Who knows...We need to try and convince them in every different way if we really want some hdd for the wii. Like the MOTHER3 guys did.

Well, NOA and NOE would kinda be the wrong people to whine to :(
We'd have to be sending complaints to Japan.

Even though I really do want a harddrive eventually.
I also Want Mother 1 & 3 >_>

Trips to cabin etc

I'm sure some families take their Wii and other consoles along on trips. Many destinations don't have WiFi (think cabin) to download their purchased VC games... pretty limited in that respect.

The first, and easiest solution is to just expand the SD access. I can already copy over saves (for archive or transfer), view images (with MP3 playback), etc., and the UI even has a internal/SD based filesystem view.

A small tweak to the OS (and security model) and we'd have cheap (<$20) 2GB's of storage (that's also reasonably high-speed).

~DT

what about SD cards??

cant they be used in the same way?

I not saying I wouldn't want a hard drive, i do, but can't SD cards hold extra memory once u run out of internal memory??

Back