Nintendo Wii Online Connecting via my Laptop

Leeorg

WiiChat Member
Jan 25, 2007
Hi, Ive tried looking for the answer on here but seem unable to find it.
My laptop connects through cables to my AOL Broadband. My laptop also has a wi-fi function. I've turned on my wi-fi and tried to set up a new conenction to allow other computers to connect to the internet through my laptop wirelessly, but i cant seem to confirm this - though the properties tab on my 'local area connection' indicate that computers are allowed to connect to the internet via my computer and also share files.
The problem is that my nintendo Wii cannot find my laptops wi-fi signal.
So what im asking is - how do i properly configure my laptop to allow nintendo wii to use my laptop as a wi-fi hub? I'd rather not buy a wireless router and i also rather wait until my AOL contract has ended so I can switch to Sky and be free of AOL! lol, so I cant upgrade the contract to get a free router either lol. Any help would be enormously appriciated!!!
Many Thanks in advance!!!!!

I'm pretty sure you need either some more hardware to convert your laptop into a access point, and/or some software. When you connect the Wii to your laptop there is not route out to the internet. You would need to have a tunnel, or route to point back to your primary interface (Where your internet connection is plugged in). I wouldn't have thought that it would dish out an IP to your Wii either, so you would need to manually setup an IP on both your wireless card and your Wii... I really don't see this working to be honest. If you don't want to get a wireless router, get a Nintendo USB Access Point.

Thank you! I have read some info about allowing my laptop to be an access point - involves editing key registrys that i have been unable to find - different hardware configuration.... i was wandering about how the wii would connect to the internet through the computer and i dont really think its possible either without some special software perhaps? Lets assume i have a compatible wireless router (ADSL) though - and my laptop connects to AOL through this router - how does Wii know the IP address and password - or do i just log on to my AOL account and the Internet Gateway is therefore open and this will allow Wii to access the internet?

Been doing lots of research, and in my mind if both my laptop and Wii are using the same Wi-Fi frequency - which they are - then the capabilitly of a wireless link is there. I have been looking at the Nintendo USB Connector which seems similar to a Wi-Fi card in USB form and I assume it has its own software to enable detection and help with connection of the Wii to the internet? (Any USB Connectors out there confirm this please?) So what I'm thinking is that it may well be possible to have software that can utilise those of us with Wi-Fi frequencys the same as Wii's to connect our Wii's to the internet through our Wi-Fi enabled computers/laptops. Anyways I'm just going to get a router - my head hurts now lol! - Thanks to everyone who has helped!

K, so I phoned up AOL - I stated that when my contract ended next month i wanted to cancel as I wanted to go to Sky with an 8Meg connection and a free router for £17 a month - Wanna know what happened? AOL offered exactly the save for £17.99 a month instead of £29.99 LMAO!!!! So I get a free router now and my Wii problems will be solved! LOL!!!! Made my day this one lol!!! So anyone else needing routers to help with your Wii connection just threaten your ISP's with cencellation LOL!!!!

Back