No DVD for WII then no WII for me.

critofur

WiiChat Member
Sep 27, 2006
If I can watch DVDs on a WII I'll buy one, absolutely. :cool: I love how small it is, I've got a little kid, and a Japanese wife who loves video games. I think we'll really enjoy a WII. But, part of the reason I like it's small size is would be 'cause I'd love to have such a small device replace my home theater PC. I had a nice 5 disc Sony DVD changer which died a while ago. I don't want to buy a new seperate DVD player. If I can't play DVDs on a WII then I'll get a different console. :wtf:

Nintendo: if you must sell WIIs without DVD playback, then please, at least offer say a "special edition" WII for $50 more with DVD playing and a 2nd controller. Ok?

the Wii cant play DVDs out of the box but you can buy an add-on to play them. kinda like the xbox1 and the playback kit for like $20. btw, you lucky SOB. jappaneese women are the hottest!

Why would you want to use Wii to watch movies? Seriously, it's a great console, but it doesn't have HD outputs nor true 5.1 Dolby Digital. Just spend $20-$40 on a DVD player.

You really would go with another console just because of this simple feature? Nintendo left out the feature to keep costs down and because most people have a DVD player; I have two, my laptop and xbox. Now, I'm guessing someone will hack Wii to get DVDs to play in the future, perhaps via Linux, but again, it would be better to get a half-way decent seperate DVD player than go and get the Xbox 360 which is still buggy or spend $600 on a PS3.

who cares I already have dvd players around my house right now, I'm getting the Wii for gaming, I know its really original buying a game machine for gaming but I figure I'll be a pioneer and not care about the other crap, nice if it has it but not effecting my decision especially since PC will always beat out consoles for graphics and for multimedia, although the Wii picture/video browser looks excellent.

Agreed on Japanese chicks being the hottest.
Umm, well, I have a very small DVD player, it was 30 bucks, just a little bigger than the Wii. It's doing great, I've had it for about a year now, a lot of times I leave it on for like 10 hours, crap I gotta go see if its on right now! Ok good, it's not. Well yah, its sturdy and long lasting from what I can see, I got it from Wal-Mart! GET A Wii!

I really hope the Wii will eventually support DVD playback weather it be because of software update or hardware add-on. If Nintendo has totally abandoned DVD playback for the Wii i think it will hurt their campaign.

Has Nintendo released details about when they will release more information about the Wii's DVD player?

I just thought of another way we might be able to watch movies via Wii. Just connect an external hard drive to one of it's USB ports and play movies that you've backed up on that hard drive on Wii, but even so, I would just get a half-way decent DVD player or if you plan on getting another next gen console, get the Xbox 360 (but wait til they work out more of the bugs and heat issues).

I would use my wii to watch dvds. I dont care that it doesnt have dolby 5.1 or hd output. Ill be playing it on my 20 inch screen in my room, WITH STEREO SPEAKERS! So if I could get a dvd player in my room without anyone even knowing, score!

Mitch2025 said:
the Wii cant play DVDs out of the box but you can buy an add-on to play them. kinda like the xbox1 and the playback kit for like $20. btw, you lucky SOB. jappaneese women are the hottest!

and they don't carry the ginger kid gene :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i thought you could play them stock, its probably just the codecs, there should be a mod out pretty soon though

playing dvds on a gaming console is bad for the laser anyway, it will slowly wear out

Dark Void said:
what no DVD on WII!!!!

t.t

I would prefer to have a console that can play games, music, AND DVD that way i dont have to have so much crap in my room. I like to keep my room clean so the less crap in there the better.
yeah, but you could have a bunch of stuff going on at once (party:p) and even if it did have a DVD player, you would want it still:lol:

ok. i was th 2nd to post and ive said that the Wii WILLhave DVD support. why the hell are some of you complaining saying it isnt gonna have it? the thing is you are gonna have to buy an add on that will be at most $30.

Back