Not so famous bands...

blueradio said:
Dream Theater is the gayest band ever.

I'll counter your opinion with one of my own. Except i'll use far less words. here we go:

False.

DHAC666 said:
Agreed, John Pretucci is a hack.

Also, Saying John Petrucci is a hack is about as accurate as saying the Moon is made of Cheese (IMO). I respect opinions, but facts to back up why you would think so would be great.

A man who actually went to school to study music, understands music theory and applies it to his creations (Not just the same progressions OVER and OVER and OVER again to the point where every song sounds the exact same), and is willing to continue learning because he knows he is not the best guitar player in the world is not a hack. Granted he did drop out of music school after about 2 years, he still has held his ground as an amazing musician. I know he is not THE best, but he is great and should be on the list as one of the most talented players.

The willingness to continue learning and to continue pushing himself technically is what makes guitar players great. you are never done learning.

Before you counter with "His solos lack emotion blah blah blah" i will say that yes, some of his solos suck. but some of his solos are the best i've ever heard. he DOES use the same type of mode in the majority of the solos (Phrygian if i'm not mistaken) but thats a comfort thing. people like to stay in comfort zones. If this was indeed your argument, i will gladly give you a list of some of his solos that i think are his best (Within the Dream Theater catalog).

No, i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm mearly giving you a reason why i don't think he's a hack.

samXcor3 said:
YOU'RE THE GAYEST BAND EVER!!! LOLZ

no seriously, gayest band ever is either creed, 3 doors down, or nickelback. god, do i hate nickelback.

Agreed.

dream theater as a band is awsome! (saw them live, Gigantour 05? w/megadeth)
lyrically and vocally i DO NOT like them. but, how can you call a band that graduated from berkley, the college of music, gay? the drummer dropped out because he was too good (im not jokeing either). very musically talented and well orchestrated IMO.

system of a down is crap! they said, back when 9-11 happened, that it was good and we deserved it. i didnt like them from the beginning and after that, i refuse to listen to them.

the band from creed is very under rated (the musicians of the band). scott stap is a moron! he held them back BIG TIME! i actually liked when they broke apart and formed alter bridge (lame name IMO). they have so much more potential.

a band i really enjoy is Dropkick Murphys. an irish punk band from boston. they a band member that plays the bagpipes!

heymoe99 said:
lyrically and vocally i DO NOT like them.

Agreed. But i don't listen to music for the lyrics anyway, i listen to them for the music. Which is why i love Dream Theater. It's aural pleasure. James LaBrie is the "weakest link" you would say. although he looks the part now haha. he's a great singer, but most of the time i'll just tune out his voice and listen to the music.

heymoe99 said:
lyrically and vocally i DO NOT like them. but, how can you call a band that graduated from berkley, the college of music, gay? the drummer dropped out because he was too good (im not jokeing either). very musically talented and well orchestrated IMO.

system of a down is crap! they said, back when 9-11 happened, that it was good and we deserved it. i didnt like them from the beginning and after that, i refuse to listen to them.

the band from creed is very under rated (the musicians of the band). scott stap is a moron! he held them back BIG TIME! i actually liked when they broke apart and formed alter bridge (lame name IMO). they have so much more potential.

a band i really enjoy is Dropkick Murphys. an irish punk band from boston. they a band member that plays the bagpipes!

yeah i have dropppppkcik murpehys ion my ipod as well, i find them decently food, but i'd rather listen to arctic monkeys or streetlight..

Don't really like/don't know most of the bands mentioned here...

So I doubt you would like any of my suggestions.

Chewy said:
Don't really like/don't know most of the bands mentioned here...

So I doubt you would like any of my suggestions.

no please don't be discouaged, cause right now i just want to find at least 10 bands that i'll like

i'm into ska and indie rock

Sonata Arctica.... huh
Blacktop Manhattan...Rock...
Zebrahead...

I only heard of these guys recently.

You might like 311 or Dispatch.

That's the only bands I like that can even come close to those categories.

I must agree with some of the earlier posts...

All That Remains
Symphony X

Those guys rule

here are some other bands

Protest The Hero <<----amazing/mathcore/metal/progressive
Lordi - butt rock band from Sweden (I think) they dress up, good fun
As Blood Runs Black - crazy just crazy
Bouncing Souls - good east coast punk

The Foxboro Hot Tubs - Secret Green Day 60s music side project...free songs on their site

Set It Straight - Good New Found Glory style punk/pop/posi-core
Head Automatica - something good

Back