Status
Not open for further replies.

NateTheGreat

Pondering Member
Jun 30, 2006
A basement on the hill.
Wii Online Code
4054-9249-4284-3802
For those unsure of how to connect your Wii to the internet wirelessly using a wireless router, here is my step-by-step guide for getting online.

First you'll need a compatible wireless router that can be found by going to the following site: http://www.nintendowifi.com/

From there, select your country, which will then take you to the WiFi index page. On this page, mouse over TECH SUPPORT at the top and from the menu that drops down, click on ROUTER INFO. Near the top of the following page, under the words "I don't own a wireless router, help me find one!" there is a "click here" link, which will finally take you to Nintendo's wireless router rating page, which you can look through to either see if your router will work or if you don't have a router, which one to get. For reference, if you live in North America, here is the router rating page.

The following are pics I took of my TV when first setting up my Wii's internet connection...

From the wii home menu...
1.jpg

Go to Wii Options in the lower left.
2.jpg

Click on Wii Settings to the right.
3.jpg

From this first list, click the right arrow.
4.jpg

Now on page 2, click on Internet.
5.jpg

Then click Connection Settings.
6.jpg

From this list, click Connection 1.
7.jpg

Then, click Wireless Connection...
8.jpg

and then click Search for an Access Point.
9.jpg

It will briefly search for any access points and when this screen comes up, click OK.
10.jpg

The following will be a list of nearby access points. If the one you are looking for doesn't show up, click Try again. Then, click the one you have access to...
11.jpg

When the following screen appears, click OK...
12.jpg

and OK again.
13.jpg

It will test the connection...
14.jpg

And if successful, the following will drop down. Click Yes to update Wii.
15.jpg

Sometimes the above screen is false, saying there is an update when there isn't and the following will appear...
16.jpg

Now, back in Wii System Settings, click on WiiConnect24.
17.jpg

From the following list click WiiConnect24.
18.jpg

Click On and then Confirm to save your settings. This feature allows for updates to be seemlessly sent to your Wii so you don't have to do the final step every time.
19.jpg

Ok, the final step, just as a way to make sure your Wii is up to date. Click the right arrow from the 2nd page of Wii System Settings.
20.jpg

Click Wii System Update...
21.jpg

click yes...
22.jpg

it will test your connection for a few seconds...
23.jpg

an update screen may quickly come up and tell you there is an update (whether or not your Wii actually needs one)
24.jpg

and the following screen will appear. Click Wii Menu to finish.
25.jpg

Now, some of you have gotten different errors and have had problems getting online. I'm guessing many of these hassles come from the fact that hundreds if not thousands of new Wii owners are all trying to, for example, post on the Wii Message Boards and browsing the Wii Shop, looking at and downloading Virtual Console games, all at the same time. In probably a week or so, many of these problems will disappear, so don't worry.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back