On College Network, need help

StMonkeyDOOM

WiiChat Member
Dec 6, 2006
I'm on a college network. I was wondering if I could more or less make my pc into a wireess access point. That is, have my wii wirelessly connect to my computer, and use it's network connection. Mind you, I want to know if there's a way without buying a nintendo wifi adapter.

i had the same situation. i ended up buying the nintendo wifi adapter in the end. you can try a wireless router but on my network you cant do that due to the log on/password system they use.

StMonkeyDOOM said:
I'm on a college network. I was wondering if I could more or less make my pc into a wireess access point. That is, have my wii wirelessly connect to my computer, and use it's network connection. Mind you, I want to know if there's a way without buying a nintendo wifi adapter.

you'll have to use some kind of wifi dongle to turn your computer into an access point. I have been using the wifi-max dongle and while it has worked for me, it seems to have a fair share of problems.

StMonkeyDOOM said:

Have a nic card, and a wireless card. Have the cat5 from your modem or whatever going into your computer, use the wireless card to setup an ad-hoc, and bridge the two connections.

I too am on a college network and I wasn't successful using the Wifi-max dongle to connect because of the security settings the school has however, I used Juno's free dial-up connection with the Dongle to download the updates that I needed for the Wii. It was slow but I got what I need. I doubt I'll get much more use out of a dial-up connection than that.

You may be able to save money using the adapter rather than a nic.
for the Nintendo USB:
The first step you need to take is install the software and make sure it at least realizes your Wii is there.
(Most likely your university uses the 802.1x Autentication protocol. That's what we use here at Pitt and it's very common.)

Next, after installing the software and having the WiFi USB adapter plugged in, goto you wireless connections. Start menu > My Network Places > View Wireless Connections(in the blue panel on the left).

In that Window there should be a connection named "Local Area Connection X", X being one higher than the last network connection made, for me it was 6, but it's an irrelevant number. And it will say Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector
right click on this connection and go to properties. 3 things you need to do. Under the general tab, un check the small box that says "Meetinghouse 802.1x Protocol. Under the authentication tab, un check "Enable IEEEE 8021.x authentication for this network. And last, just for good measure, under advanced tab, click the settings button and turn off Windows firewall for this connection.

Now if you don't actually use 802.1x the process should be about the same. Get to the connection and disable whatever protocols are not TCP/IP. ONLY DISSABLE PROTOCOLS. You should still have the Microsoft client, file and printer sharing, QoS packet Scheduler and TCP/IP protocol active.

You have to do the same thing no matter how you end up connecting to the Wii. just make sure to turn off whatever kind of Authentication you have on your connection. ONLY FOR THAT CONNECTION THOUGH

If you have a Mac cant you link up a network from it... I mean if you dont have wireless... Cuz Macbooks now have airport... Im gonna talk to my developer friend, hes a mac genius....

Back