Online Play - How Do You Find People?

dsdavis

WiiChat Member
Feb 1, 2008
Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.
Wii Online Code
4221-9039-0966-9591
I'm new to the Wii, and haven't played any online games yet (in fact, I don't own any yet). How do you go about finding people to play against online? Do they have to be people you've added as friends? (I *have* added friends from here thanks to the "post your wii code" thread)

Or do you go to a server of some sort and find a list of people who are also looking for people to play against?

Thanks!

depends on the game. like brawl is going to let you play people on your friends list but most game right know you dont play friends you play with random people

So for the ones that you play random people, how does it happen? Do you just click something to say you want to play online, and it finds someone for you? Or do you go to a "waiting room" to find people, and click on them to see if they want to play or something?

dsdavis said:
So for the ones that you play random people, how does it happen? Do you just click something to say you want to play online, and it finds someone for you?

Yes, this is how it works for the most part.

dsdavis said:
I'm new to the Wii, and haven't played any online games yet (in fact, I don't own any yet). How do you go about finding people to play against online? Do they have to be people you've added as friends? (I *have* added friends from here thanks to the "post your wii code" thread)

Or do you go to a server of some sort and find a list of people who are also looking for people to play against?

Thanks!

The only correct game with decent online play is Mario strikers. And there are forums everywhere for finding friends, mostly to do with Xbox live, as it's so much better than crappy Wii connect 24.

Some games require the use of friend codes to play, which is the code that comes with the games when you buy it. You each need to add each others code to play. Games like Battalion Wars 2 and Mario Strikers do this.

Some games though only require an internet connection and you simply connect to EA's server, which is done in the game when you go to the online part of it. Games like Medal Of Honor Heroes 2 and NBA Live 08 do this.

CantGetAWii said:
Some games require the use of friend codes to play, which is the code that comes with the games when you buy it. You each need to add each others code to play. Games like Battalion Wars 2 and Mario Strikers do this.

You can play against random people in both of those games without needing friend codes. You will need friend codes for playing against your friends, unlike the EA examples you mentioned which use their own servers. I suspect this is what you meant, but I just wanted to clarity the point about Mario Strikers and Battalion Wars.

Back