PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale beta kicks off this week

hybrid -x1

~graceful assassin~
Sep 14, 2010
Shooting Star Suimmit
Wii Online Code
1000-2000-3000-4000
We hope you’ve been keeping track of all the recent updates on Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale news. From an in-depth update on the PS Vita version to our behind-the-scenes look at mashing up different worlds, we’ve shown you what this game is shaping up to be… and we think it’s high time you try it out for yourselves!

Today, we’re happy to announce that the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale beta will kick off for PlayStation Plus members on PlayStation 3 on 17th October and then expand to everyone from 24th October through Playstation Store!
What’s more, as a special treat, PS Vita users will be able dive right into the multiplayer beta starting tomorrow – no Plus subscription required. The beta will support Cross-Play, so PS3 and PS Vita owners will be able to fight with and against each other.

So, what exactly will be in the beta?

• You’ll be able to play as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Colonel Radec, Sly Cooper, PaRappa and Fat Princess.
  • You’ll be able to play in both the Metropolis and Hades stages.
  • You’ll be able to try out four-player online tournaments and 2 vs 2 online tournaments. For the 2 vs 2 games we’ll be supporting friend invites, so you and a friend can fight another team online.
This, of course, is only a tiny fraction of what PlayStation All-Stars has to offer, but we thought you’d love the chance to try it early and see what all the buzz is about. This beta is also really helpful for us as it allows us to load test the servers before releasing the game. Be sure to hop on quickly as we’ll be ending the beta on 30th October!
But that’s not all. As you know, we have a pre-order program running right now that unlocks a set of exclusive costumes in the game. Today we’re happy to unveil the rest of the costumes you’ll be getting with your pre-order of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Unlocked with your pre-order at participating retailers, these costumes will work for both the PS3 and PS Vita when it releases on 21st November (22nd in Australia & New Zealand, 23rd in UK & Ireland), so be sure to reserve your copy today.
And don’t forget: PlayStation All-Stars features Cross-Buy support, so if you purchase the PS3 version, you’ll get a downloadable PS Vita version for no extra cost.
With beta access beginning in two days, we look forward to getting your feedback on the game and seeing what you think of this highly anticipated title. Spread the word and we’ll see you online!

[video=youtube;lP9HULGl4s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=lP9HULGl4s8[/video]

Source: PlaystationBlog

How's the actual gameplay? Is it a copypasta of Smash Bros. with having to knock your opponent off stage?

It's some gimmicky crap of being able to kill with special moves only, I can't see it being as good as Smash brothers.

As good won't mean not as enjoyable mind ya, Fraz. Though I certainly agree.

That aside I'm far more interested in whether or not the game has any competitive viability in terms of 1v1 (can ya even control the amount of fighters in matches?). 4 player Free-For-Alls look like even more of a mash fest than Smash Bros. does, so I certainly fear for the 1v1's competitive potential.

Idunno but if you guys have a ps3 download the beta like I am and test it out.
I'm not planning on getting this game regardless though.

Sony is full of **** clowning all these Ninty things onto the bitchstation 3 that it's irritating for me as a Ninty gamer.
Yeah sure game looks decent but without a doubt it's a straight up smash bros rip off with a few different "twists" which for the most part suck ass.

/EndFanBoyIsm-___-

But is the game fun?

Well that depends on your classification of "fun". I don't see it as very appealing at all. If it was a competitive game 1v1 it would be purely based around tiers, that what it feels it'll end up being once the "fun" value has worn off and some people want to go competitive.

Your view on competitive fighters is quite skewed, bro. :lol:

Tier imbalance does not dominate a properly developed fightin' game. You've played Brawl for too long my friend, as not every game is as such. Take Soul Calibur 5 for example; literally the only non-viable tournament character in the game is Zwei, and even then there're some godlike players who bring honor to this poor character.

Add onto the existence of DLC, and patches can be released to help balance really poor players and really broken tactics. SC5 is, again, a brilliant example of a competitive fighter bein' very balanced and characters not bein' a bunch of clones of each other due to the process of balancing. Any character is wholly viable, match-ups aren't indomitable unless it's a lower tier character against their worst enemy, and no one character is ass-broken.

Solid competitive games are not based around tiers. Tiers are based 'round good competitive games. Get it right. :p

This is the BETA connecting online for a match...

[video=youtube;TH_l5JtPaWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_l5JtPaWw[/video]

**** won't connect...least on SMASH BROS we had that ****in' sandbag to beat the **** outta.

That's pretty bad, even for a beta. :lol: Foreboding, but I'm sure this ain't a warning that it'l have utter **** online play or nothin'.

Wow, I have the Playstation Vita version and I did not have a problem like that.

Controls to the game:
*Additional Info at bottom
*L = Shielding | R = Powerup (You can roll to shield similar to that in SSB)
*D-pad = Attack in Direction (Left/Right = Move)
*Left Joystick = Attack in Direction (Left/Right = Move)
[ ] = Attack Set 1
^ = Attack Set 2
O = Attack Set 3
X = Jump
Start = N/A
Select = Taunt

Vita Specialties: Front Screen - Pick Up times Via Touch | Rear Touch - N/A

+Note: Some [ ],^, O, Attacks require you to be idle (Just hit the button without direction)

*Left Button - Okay, I do not like shielding with the left button. I am right handed, so I'm uncomfortable with that for the moment. I wish that would have been thought out a little bit better.
*D-pad/Left Joystick - The one issue I have is, with Smash Bros., it was very comfortable to control your character on the basis that it was fluid. In this game, it isn't on the basis that I have to remember, you need to hit the button. That also causes some issues when trying to attack in the air because I'm not used to the characters attack plus having to switch to addition control.

Another issue for me, on the Playstation Vita, is that I cannot recognize where my character is sometimes on the... small screen. The character size is just fine, but having all 1, 2, 3, 4... why not just have only your number and that's it. I would never get lost only seeing my number.

Last edited:
Back