Pretty Big Wi-Fi News

FLYNNN

Join The Sonic Fan Club!
Dec 8, 2007
Massachusetts
Wii Online Code
0204-2578-2014-7346
Okay so I know I just made a dud thread, sorry Mods, you an lock it...

Anyway I just got of the phone with a Nintendo 800 Number guy, and let me start by saying he was mad chill, he was a gamer and knew A LOT about Brawl, but anyway I started by talking about the lag I had been experiencing and he told me that obviously the servers are clogged, they are also setting up more servers and they should be up in the next week or so. He also kept asking me about the error codes I recieved after not connecting to any players [When fighting the Sandbag].

Regarding error codes he said if the error codes first digit starts with a 6,7, or 8 that means there are SERVER ERRORS it's not your connection, all other digits, I don't know...

Anyway the REAL reason I called was about Specator Mode, and why I didn't have the option for it. He said very honestly that the Spectator Mode was unlocked approxiatley ONE DAY after you first connected online, he didn't give a reason why but thinking about it I haven't been online for one day since the last day I checked if I had Spectator Mode.

I told him how people have been deleting their files in order to get it, he told me not to do that and wait another day, which I will do. For all of you who did delete it, tough luck... I suppose the quickest way to get Spectator Mode would be to Connect to Wi-Fi when you have nothing unlocked, than delete the file you just created and try again... according to this guy, it should work.

This employee sounded very trustworthy so to all you people with lag, wait, and check your error code, and to all you without Spectator, wait a day, unless you want to delete EVERYTHING.

Figures. Make sure you update your user license agreement in your settings for Wiiconnect24. Remember the OK button is on the right hand side. Please PM me and add me to your friends list. The only way to play Brawl online right now is spectator mode, and friend's list. Prez, and many others from these forums, I added you.

5198-2104-9327

sagema said:
Figures. Make sure you update your user license agreement in your settings for Wiiconnect24. Remember the OK button is on the right hand side. Please PM me and add me to your friends list. The only way to play Brawl online right now is spectator mode, and friend's list.
I'll try and see if there is an update for WiiConnect, haven't updated since Christmas, but I did update when I got Brawl, I don't think that was a WiiConnect update.

Just to add in hopes someone might test this. I did not have to wait for spectator mode. I got the game at 12:20am Sunday on my way home from work. I started by playing SSE for about an hour, and then did a few matches against the computer to get a feel for the game.

I then attempted to play online (this is about an hour and a half after opening the package). After 2 attempts of hitting the punching bag for 5 minutes and no one else joining for a fight, I tried spectator mode (which let me bet on the winner with coins) and watched a single fight and went to bed.

I am posting this because as far as I know, spectator mode was available from the start for me, or as said in the original post, the first time I connected to WiFi. There is another post on these boards (ill edit in afterwards) that 2 brothers\friends had the issue, one of them didnt have spectator or options while the other did in the WiFi section. They swapped disc's, but that didnt help. He said once he deleted his game info and had the game create it again, he instantly had access to spectator mode.

It would be best if someone that hasnt purchased the game or hasnt played yet can test this because I would hate to keep playing on my file and have to delete it later then delete it now and be done with it.

Edit: Link I was refering to - http://www.wiichat.com/super-smash-bros-brawl/54558-where-spectator-mode.html

Also good to note that someone posted they heard a different story from Nintendo then you did, it says a patch will come soon to fix the issue.

Last edited:
Yeah, the whole thing about waiting a day seems untrue, or just something to get you to wait a day before complaining again. When I bought the game at midnight on Saturday, I still didn't have Spectator mode as of this morning, but when I popped it into a different Wii, they had it immediately. Then when I deleted my files on the original Wii (the one w/o spectator mode) and went back in, Spectator mode popped up immediately after I recieved my new FC.

Have you guys tried enabling the spec mode in the options menu?
I'm pretty sure spec modes are just pre recorded fights and then downloaded to your wii, it's never real time.

Evi1d33d said:
Have you guys tried enabling the spec mode in the options menu?
I'm pretty sure spec modes are just pre recorded fights and then downloaded to your wii, it's never real time.

Mine is not enabled

im not deleteng my files. Nintendo will have to do something about this. they wont tell everyone to delete there files. I will just wait it out. im sure more news will come soon.

It's time for some news ^^^ Lol... Okay so I called again, I'm very persistent, and this guy said an update will be released in a few HOURS! So I'll just wait it out, as far as servers go when i asked him he wasn't aloud to say but he said they're trying... He also said "We're having trouble because virtually EVERYONE is trying to get on, all we can really do is wait it out" so everyone get off so I can play, lol.

thanks for calling them. i have been having the "dced from other players" error and thought it was me but now i can just w8 for nintendo to take care of it

hmm, i wonder what the update's for?

...because i seriously doubt it's going to wash away all our wi-fi troubles.

I have the exact same problem of not having spectator mode or wifi options. On the plus side this bug also unlocked sonic very early for me. (I only beat classic once, Have nowhere near 300 brawls, and haven't touched SSE yet). I spoke with a rep from nintendo today who was also very knowledgeable and he said they are aware of the issues and a patch will be coming out soon. He took down my contact info and my wii serial number and said they would get in touch with me if there were any problems. He said if the issues isn't resolved in 2 weeks then I should call back.

Back