castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
medium.jpg
Maybe.

Whatever next?

The rumour that Nintendo may unveil a new console at E3 has sprouted legs and run away with the Internet rumour mill today, with reports of various levels of believability hitting the web.

French site 01.net has allegedly leaked — or invented — the system's specifications. According to the site (which scooped the specs on Sony's NGP before its official reveal) the system will be comparable in power to the Xbox 360, with a three-core custom IBM chip running things behind the scenes.

It's the controller that will raise the most eyebrows however, with the site claiming it contains a six-inch touch-sensitive screen, a camera and can function as a Wii sensor bar. It's got the standard D-Pad and other buttons too, of course, making it a cross between a tablet and a control pad, an intriguing proposition indeed.

Other sources are also claiming the machine will make use of a Blu-ray disc drive, allowing far greater storage capacity than the current DVDs. If this particular rumour were true, it would all-but confirm the console's ability to output HD resolution images too.

As always we advise you to take these rumours with as much salt as you like while we try to get to the bottom of this situation.
What do you guys think.

i wouldn't doubt it, seems very expensive, haha nintendo's answer to sony's ps3

*Rumour
I have been privy to falling for these a lot in the past.
Now I just wait

I don't buy the controller rumot - doesn't seem reasonable. Plus why would it double as a sensor bar? That makes no sense. The sensor bar is not a controller. Maybe they meant it doubles as a motion controller and it was just badly translated from French?

As for HD output, they can do that without needing a blu-ray drive. Knowing Nintendo's past, they'll probably ship with some sort of non blu-ray high capacity disc instead of a standard blu-ray drive.

I read somewhere that the controller doubles as a sensor bar because it will have Wii retrocompatibility... hmm just rumors...

Didn't sony reject microsofts plea for the blu ray? Why let Nintendo? Nintendo would be a huge threat to sony & microsoft if said rumor be true. Maybe it could be somewhat lucritive for the investors of blu ray technology, i dont know .

I read somewhere that the controller doubles as a sensor bar because it will have Wii retrocompatibility... hmm just rumors...

But the sensor bar is the thing that you set above or below your TV, it's not part of the Wii controller. I think they maybe just mean motion sensors and the translation from French got a bit skewed.

Didn't sony reject microsofts plea for the blu ray? Why let Nintendo? Nintendo would be a huge threat to sony & microsoft if said rumor be true. Maybe it could be somewhat lucritive for the investors of blu ray technology, i dont know .

Sony doesn't own blu-ray. They are one of many corporations who are part of the blu-ray consortium.

The translation is ok, it is written and meant as a sensor bar....

Un capteur correspondant à la sensor bar de la Wii (c'est-à-dire le récepteur des signaux émanant de la Wiimote) est intégré dans la manette-tablette
Which litterally means: A captor corresponding to the Wii's sensor bar ( The Wiimote's signals receptor) is integrated in the tablet controller

Thats the best translation i could provide.

Maybe the french miss translated it from Jap or Eng though...

The translation is ok, it is written and meant as a sensor bar....

Un capteur correspondant à la sensor bar de la Wii (c'est-à-dire le récepteur des signaux émanant de la Wiimote) est intégré dans la manette-tablette
Which litterally means: A captor corresponding to the Wii's sensor bar ( The Wiimote's signals receptor) is integrated in the tablet controller

Thats the best translation i could provide.

Maybe the french miss translated it from Jap or Eng though...

Either that or they just used the wrong terminology. Maybe they mean the receiver of the sensor bar's signal rather than the sensor bar itself (which is how current Wii remotes work).

But the sensor bar is the thing that you set above or below your TV, it's not part of the Wii controller. I think they maybe just mean motion sensors and the translation from French got a bit skewed.

Sony doesn't own blu-ray. They are one of many corporations who are part of the blu-ray consortium.

I know sony doesn't own blu ray but they do have some sorta say so in the technology.

I know sony doesn't own blu ray but they do have some sorta say so in the technology.

Correct. Sony is one of the founding members of the Blu-ray Disc Association - the group that developed the technology. But they don't have control over who can and can't use a blu-ray drive in their system. In fact, one of the main goals of the Associate is to promote the use of blu-ray drives as much as possible. The drive manufacturers license the technology from the Association and if Microsoft or Nintendo wanted to include a blu-ray drive, they would just simply buy from the manufacturer.

Where things got nasty was back when there was both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray competing with each other. Microsoft was backing HD-DVD and there will battles where the different technology backers tried to get the various movie studios on their side and it got ugly. But all of that is long settled and there's no reason Microsoft could not include blu-ray in their next console.

Last edited:
If Nintendo does add a BD-Drive, they're stupid and I'm going to avoid the system. The reason is simple, Secure Digital Cardtridges will be able to hold more in the future. Blu-Ray isn't needed, because people are too stupid to make SD card a media format. If we can make a 16GB micro SD that fits on the tip of your index finger, why can't we make a card big enough to add a picture of the media (a 3in.x3in. Media Card). We already use SD for DL Music, DL Movies/Shows/Videos, DL Games.

Back