SMG vs SM64....

m7ticalm

WiiChat Member
Aug 5, 2006
Australia, Perth
Wii Online Code
0287-9971-6660-4138
So i bought SMG, im currently playing with ~90 stars. I was wondering what you guys think is better, SMG (super mario galaxy) or SM64 (super mario 64). Yes, the graphics are great on the wii, but is it really that much better? I dont know why, i just thought that the whole idea of exploring huge levels is much better than many small levels. Stuff like the 7 red coins in a huge level could sometimes be challenging. Instead, in galaxy they have 5 corners of stars on a very small comet. Unless i have not reached it yet, everything in Super Mario Galaxy is straight forward. Theres no exploration, theres only one way to get to the next area and its usually straight in front of you.
Dont get me wrong, Super Mario Galaxy is a great game, and anyone who doesnt have it yet should definately buy it, but i just dont see how it can measure up to a game like super mario 64.

Yeah, so i was wondering if you guys (and gals) could tell me your view on which one you think is better and why.

Both are amazing games and probably the 2 best platform games ever.

I would say Galaxy though. It is easier than Mario64 (at least at the start) but the power ups and addition of gravity just give it the edge.

I think Super Mario Galaxy should be straight forward, its a platformer not an adventure/platformer game. That's what Super Paper Mario is for.

I have never played Super Mario 64 but I'm having trouble seeing how it or anything for that matter can be better than Super Mario Galaxy. The level design I find amazing. You clearly know which way you need to go, you breeze past the hidden stars the first time, however when you go looking for the hidden stars, you can easily see the paths leading to them.

SM64 hands down.

The sunken ship with the giant eel > Any other mario level known to man

Well, Super Mario 64 was more challenging in my opinion but of course now in Super Mario Galaxy you can play as Luigi if you do choose to beat it again.

sm64 was created back in the day for revolutionary purposes. A great deal of polish and creativity went into it. SM Galaxy was created with all of that in mind, but for people who had never played video games so its a great deal more linear and simple.

I get a little worried about the Wii, simply because the games are way to easy IMO.

LevesqueIsKing said:
SM64 hands down.

The sunken ship with the giant eel > Any other mario level known to man

lol that eel owned...
I think 64 utterly destroys Galaxy, but thats just my opinion.

Well... I would think Galaxy but I like the super fast of Mario 64 atleast I mean look at this guy beating it in 16 minutes (Mario 64) VideoAlthough I do like the color look and feel of Mario Galaxy pretty tough there a tie in my opinion but I have replayed Mario 64 about a billion times so as of now Galaxy

Back