Sony sues over Kevin Butler character

hybrid -x1

~graceful assassin~
Sep 14, 2010
Shooting Star Suimmit
Wii Online Code
1000-2000-3000-4000
KevinButler_37050_embed.jpg

PlayStation maker files lawsuit against Bridgestone and ad agency Wildcat Creek over ad in which faux executive Butler was shown playing Wii.
Sony is suing over one of its own--albeit fake--executives. VentureBeat reports that the PlayStation maker has filed a lawsuit against tire manufacturer Bridgestone and ad agency Wildcat Creek over the use of its faux PlayStation executive Kevin Butler.
Butler is in trouble for playing Mario Kart, it seems. Image credit: VentureBeat
Butler, who is played by actor Jerry Lambert, has portrayed a range of fictional characters in numerous PlayStation product advertisements for years. However, Lambert recently appeared in a Bridgestone commercial during which he was shown playing Mario Kart Wii from PlayStation competitor Nintendo.
Sony's suit claims Bridgestone's use of the Kevin Butler character is a misrepresentation of Sony intellectual property and in fact has caused the publisher damages.

We invested significant resources in bringing the Kevin Butler character to life, and he's become an iconic personality directly associated with PlayStation products over the years," reads a line from a statement provided to VentureBeat. "Use of the Kevin Butler character to sell products other than those from PlayStation misappropriates Sony’s intellectual property, creates confusion in the market, and causes damage to Sony.

source gamespot

Last edited:
I personally think Sony's full of complete and utter dog **** on this one.
Ohhey Ninty how about we sue Sony with the whole Wii-remote cloning.....or how about Sony's Smash Bros clone...yep...lets SUE THEM!

EDIT: I couldn't find the commericials so if anyone does can you link em here?

I remember that "It does everything" advertisement campaign from Sony. Funny guy, that Lambert. I also recall seein' the Bridgestone commercial in question.

Sony's just grubbin' for money via the most common dirty business practice in 'Merica; moronic lawsuits. They'l need some grand lawyers t' win this one 'cause the only case they got is a case of desperate greed. 'Less Lambert/his company's contract stated that none of their employees can show face in a commercial with any 'n all Ninty products, they don't have any chance.

Back