Switched to 480P now I can't get out of it!

sean33

WiiChat Member
Dec 11, 2006
I got some component cables for playing at a friends house and I was testing them out and on my standard def TV with component jacks. I switched over my Wii to 480P and now all is f'ed and I can't see anything to change it back. I don't want to have to reset everything and lose all my friends and settings. I don't even know how to reset it. What do I do? All I can get is the rumble on scroll overs to tell where I am but that is it.

Arrg!

Yeah its a little too late right now I'll do it tomorrow. If anyone has the component cables could let me know the rumble sequence to switch back to 480i that would work too. haha.

Doing it without a visual is gonna be fun, you can't use the Dpad or the nunchuk to navigate from the main menu... nice job Nintendo!

Anyhow if you want to attempt it. Turn up your volume listen for tick sounds. First you need to turn on your Wii, wait a few seconds hit the A button. Move to the lower left hand corner click the Wii button. Now move to the right half of the screen towards the center, hit the Wii System button (you can do this by starting on the left side of the screen move right stop at the second tick sound) click A button. Now on this page start at the top center, move downwards 3 ticks, click the A button. Start at the top center of the screen, move downwards 2 ticks) click the A button. This should put you back in 480i.

Xanthan said:
Doing it without a visual is gonna be fun, you can't use the Dpad or the nunchuk to navigate from the main menu... nice job Nintendo!

Anyhow if you want to attempt it. Turn up your volume listen for tick sounds. First you need to turn on your Wii, wait a few seconds hit the A button. Move to the lower left hand corner click the Wii button. Now move to the right half of the screen towards the center, hit the Wii System button (you can do this by starting on the left side of the screen move right stop at the second tick sound) click A button. Now on this page start at the top center, move downwards 3 ticks, click the A button. Start at the top center of the screen, move downwards 2 ticks) click the A button. This should put you back in 480i.

Thanks for the quick fix

im_a_super_smash_bro said:
I have a problem, when I go to my screen settings it wont let me choose 480p. Why is that??

Do you own a component cable? If not then no 480p

simply unplug your component leads and plug in the standard (composite) video cable that came with your Wii.

you will then be able to go into the wii menu and change your TV type and confirm the correct resolution.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem(sort of). I choose widescreen and 480p and it never goes into widescreen. This is on a 60" SXRD.

how to fix getting stuck in 480p mode when you cannot see.

All you do is reinsert the regular composite (red, white, yellow) cables back into the wii and reset it. then it will go back into 480i mode. if your tv does not have 480p capability the screen will go out when you switch to that mode. when this happens refer to what i said above.

dedpoet777 said:
All you do is reinsert the regular composite (red, white, yellow) cables back into the wii and reset it. then it will go back into 480i mode. if your tv does not have 480p capability the screen will go out when you switch to that mode. when this happens refer to what i said above.

why would my tv have component input if it didn't support 480p though?

Back