System Update Problems

Sirilix

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2010
Australia
I'm having trouble with a Wii system update.

I recently acquired some new games. Two of them, "Metroid: Other M" and "Epic Mickey" are fairly recent games and, as such, require a system update. However. The moment I start the update, it cancels and says "Wii Update failed". Here's everything I can tell you about the circumstances:

• I bought the Wii in early 2008 (I think).
  • The current system version is 4.2.
  • I have never hacked or modified the console in any way.
  • I was given the Homebrewe Channel by a friend a while ago. I never used it or changed any settings, and when the first update failed, I deleted it.
  • Before I tried the first system update, the Wii hadn't been used for a number of weeks.
  • I am not given any error code or anything similar when the update fails.
  • The Wii is not, and never has been, connected to the internet.
  • All my other games, including the other two games I recently obtained, "Punch Out!!" and "Muramasa: The Demon Blade" work perfectly and have been completely unaffected by this turn of events.
That's about all I know about the circumstances. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as being unable to play any new games is a complete pain in the rear.

you say it was never hacked, yet you had the homebrew channel. chances are that's the problem, and if it is, tough cookies...

Sorry, I'm not a particularly technologically inclined individual, so I had no idea that hacking was involved in the installation of the Homebrew channel (a friend of mine installed it). Is there no fix for it then?

I don't think the Homebrew channel is the problem as I am having basically the EXACT same issue. This is my copy and paste from another forum on the details of my issue as well:

So I'm home for Christmas and my dad bought my family a Wii several years ago (around 2007), but my parents never use it (it is not modded, hacked, or anything). They also have NetFlix so I explain to them how they can use the Wii to watch movies through NetFlix instead of the snail mail way they've been doing. When I go to set it up, I go to the Shop Channel and it says it needs to update, so I accept, and it goes to the update screen, where the bar at the bottom doesn't move at all for about 30 seconds, then it says "Error Code:32007" Unable to perform the Wii system update. I try again, and again, and again... Same sh*t.

I'm no dummy, so I test the internet connection on the Wii and I can go on the "Internet Channel" just fine, browse google, youtube etc. with no issues whatsoever. I'm connected to the internet through a Linksys Wireless WRT54GS Router, that is on a DSL connection. I could try connecting through Ethernet but the geniuses who designed this box of crap decided to not include a 10/100 card but instead make you buy an accessory that converts USB to Ethernet (retarded), but I'd rather not spend the money on one just to see if this will work, and since the internet connection works anyways, I don't really see the point in going in that direction.

So I get on my laptop and Google the issue to find a few others who have experienced similar problems. This link is to the most relevant forum post I could find:
http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/12519
I also crawled several forums discussing opening ports on my router, changing the router channels, sacrificing my first-born (just kidding), among other ridiculous solutions that would make sense if the Wii WASN'T CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET, but it is, as I previously stated. I tried all this voodoo anyways and to no avail.

So my assumption is that there is something wrong with Nintendo's update service, or this Wii is broken. Seriously though, this is super frustrating and I really doubt when I call the Nintendo Tech Support guys they'll have anything to suggest that I haven't already tried.

Anyone else out there having similar issues? Any solutions you guys would suggest that won't cost me any money? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Back