The Official Super Paper Mario Thread

Stranger

WiiChat Member
Feb 22, 2007
since tons of ppl have it now, i figured someone should make an official thread. this is for talking about what you like, dislike, or find just weird about the great game we know as SPM. so, i got it today, and is great. you all owe it to yourselves to go get it, no matter what game genres you prefer this is just a great game no matter waht.

so i just got the second pure heart and did the little thing with peach and are going to talk to merlin, so where are you guys at?

Here's my official review :

The game is absolutely AMAZING !!! Very CLEVER !!!

There is a LOT of reading. A lot, did I mention there is a lot of reading. Oh my goodness. If you can get past that, you will love the game.

The game is challenging to a point. There are points that you will be stuck at for a bit, but none the less, you will most likely always prevail. I've played for 2 hours and I'm at 1-4, but I've taken the time to read everything thru since this is my first time and I didn't want to miss anything.

I love the option of pointing the Wii mote at the tv to find hidden doors.
I love the cleverness of the trickery with the puzzles and clues.
I love all the added pixls, items, cards, and recipes (cooking potent items)

To most, this game won't be as challenging as they had wished, but believe me, this game will provide hours of gameplay and even to the person who states this isn't challenging, they will be stuck at some point for a bit of time.
My 6 year old boy played for 2 hours and made it to 1-2. He loved it.
I'm 29 and I will be up till 4 am most likely !

Overall this game ROCKS ! ! !

-

ALOT of reading alooooooooot...but its fun...its alittle different cus you have to think pretty hard in sections...but its addicting so far only got 2 hours wrapped up in it and we are only on world 1-4 :(

I agree the game is definetly fun. A little more reading then I was expecting, but it isn't that bad. I am used to all the other Mario games where you just plop it in and get to playing through levels.

This is my first Paper Mario and I love the whole flip side world stuff. Cool to see the "other" side of things. Like Pixl said, there are some challenging moments but if you think it through and read the text it pretty much gives you the answers.

Is it a lot like the old Paper Marios, or is it like completely different.

I couldn't stop playing TTYD so I just want to make sure I am making a good choice on this game. Cause I plan on getting it tomorrow.

I wanted this game so badly to be Super Mario Bros. 4, but unfortunatley that didn't happen. However I was left with a charming and smart side scrolling puzzle solving action rpg game.

As far as negatives for me they would be:

-Some of the character designs and backgrounds instead of looking stylishly simple like the other Paper Mario games end up looking uninspired, basic, and lazily put together. However not all is bad.

-Sometimes this game's text can last way way too long, it makes me wonder if Nintendo is trying to make the game seem longer this way.

-The game feels a little too linear, I wish it let you do more things in your own order or way.

-The combat and boss battles for the most part have been on the easy side. I wish they required more skill. I haven't beaten the game, but it should be there by atleast the first 3 hours.

-Not enough Wii controls. Seriously the only Wii stuff I've done is used the butterfly guy to point at the screen for hidden objects. It's obvious this game was meant for the GC.

Positives

-Awesome sense of humour this game has, surprisingly not as corny as I expected.

-2D to 3D flip is an ingenius idea and I love how many layers of awesome it adds to the gaming experience.

-Great and smart puzzles, I like how they really make use of the flipping of dimensions.

So far after 4 or so hours it's an 8.5/10 for me. Based on what I've played it's not a killer-ap, but it's definatley worth your money.

Last edited:
En4Neo said:
-The game feels a little too linear, I wish it let you do more things in your own order or way.

Don't worry, it starts to open up after you get past chapter 2.

This game is on the awesome side, clever, witty, hilarious
(especially when the dragon did the wii loading circle and said all kinds of computer errors)
. The gameplay is easy enough to get the hang off, but difficult enough to where you'll have to do some things more than once to keep advancing
(such as throwing an enemy to hit a ! switch, that took me a couple tries)
. The graphics are obviously cartoony, but they're detailed cartoony, except for the backgrounds, which look a little thrown together. All in all, this game meets my expectations, and although it isn't truly a Paper Mario title, I think it does a good job of mixing Paper Mario and Super Mario Bros. Not perfectly, but decently enough to make it an awesome game.

9.5/10

FWELR said:
Don't worry, it starts to open up after you get past chapter 2.

This game is on the awesome side, clever, witty, hilarious
(especially when the dragon did the wii loading circle and said all kinds of computer errors)
. The gameplay is easy enough to get the hang off, but difficult enough to where you'll have to do some things more than once to keep advancing
(such as throwing an enemy to hit a ! switch, that took me a couple tries)
. The graphics are obviously cartoony, but they're detailed cartoony, except for the backgrounds, which look a little thrown together. All in all, this game meets my expectations, and although it isn't truly a Paper Mario title, I think it does a good job of mixing Paper Mario and Super Mario Bros. Not perfectly, but decently enough to make it an awesome game.

9.5/10

I'm on Chapter 4, lol......still think it's a little too linear sometimes. Some people may like this, but others might not.

En4Neo said:
I'm on Chapter 4, lol......still think it's a little too linear sometimes. Some people may like this, but others might not.

hmm, so am i. i was just trying to say that you have more options after you complete the first couple chapters and can walk through the town as opposed to having to go straight to through the first chapter.

Game is really good so far, but the reading is extremly boring. Infact, it probably added an hour of "gameplay", and i've been playing for about 2h30min so far. I'd say that it's really good, but if you don't like sitting through reading (like me) then you'll miss important stuff when you skip it (like me) and have to go back and do it again!

The game is very linear. In fact, so is Zelda now that I mention it. During chapter 2 I believe you get a way to get around easier (i wont spoil it) but... even then..you have to do everything in a specfic order, in order to move on...

How does the reading compare to say the amount of scanning you do in metroid prime?

Fun game and its worth the money. I love how you could flip 2D to 3D. I also like the humor.

I enjoy the game so far. I am only in chapter 1-3. I expected to play it for about 10 hours this afternoon, but fiance's parents needed help with stuff.

I got all giggity when I get the mega shroom thing.

Love this game, only been able to play for about an hour so far, but love the whole flip thing! FLIP FLIP FLIP! OK, I'll stop now. :D

IMHO, the 3D thing really opens up a whole new side to the Paper Mario games

Back