Vista Vs XP

paintba||er

WiiChat Member
Sep 17, 2006
Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: s
Wii Online Code
8354-0173-2009-5422
Well I typed this responding in another thread but I'm to lazy to retype it with minor changes so I'll just copy and paste it.

Edit: Sorry if there was some confusion but this is comparing XP and Vista, not Mac. There should be no further discussion of OS X, Linux, or any other OS in this thread, if you want to discuss that go to the thread about it.

Don't think I'm just some Mac fanboy that is just hates the OS for no reason. So lets just sit Mac aside and compare Vista to XP. What useful features does Vista have over XP besides the appearance? Very few. I don't know that I would even say the appearance is an advantage since it doesn't actually do anything besides use up all of your resources and make everything else slow as ****. If you look at some benchmarks XP beats Vista's ass. Vista has widgets (which Mac has had for a while) but I find the setup annoying, and there are very few quality ones. The other day I had trouble finding a good calculator widget (which is default in Mac) which is very basic. Vista has the indexing search (which once again Mac already has), but thats not too amazing. I would love to upgrade my Windows partition to a better version of Windows but since Vista has many compatibility issues, and is inferior to XP IMO, I am unable to do so.

So just state your opinions about the two OSs.

Last edited:
I've seen Vista and opted not to install it on my own computer after seeing it on my friend's. There's a lot of bells and whistles on it that just slowed down his computer and he finally just decided to reinstall XP since his computer couldn't handle it and couldn't play World of Warcraft on it without a lot of lag.

My computer is slightly better but I just don't want to go through the hassle for features I most likely am not going to use. When I upgrade my computer again I may look into it.

Well as far as the widgets go, mac was not the first to use widgets.

Right now, XP beats Vista. Just give it some time. Once SP2 comes out for Vista, and developers take some time to make good widgets and apps for Vista it will be much much better. DX10 is a HUGE plus. I'm custom building my own PC this summer so I can install vista and play all the new DX10 games coming out

Paintba||er, you should be comparing Tiger and Leopard. I'm dissapointed. J/K Plus, wht does the title say Vista vs. XP?

I think OS X has the edge here since Tiger came out. Tiger has been great for everyone here - easy to use, set up ext. Also, OS X has a better functions of creating graphics and editing pictures (advanced) not like simple 3-second GIFs (don't get me wrong Prinny, I love your stuff). Adobe CS - CS3 are mostly more Mac-Friendly.

Gaming, that's were XP has the edge. Ever NFS I, have used my Windows '98 to play it. And as we all know many great games come out for Windows every year.

I'd say there equal in senses and have there strengths and weaknesses. :yesnod:

Well I'm not comparing Leopard and Tiger since Leopard isn't even out. I'm not quite sure what your saying about the title. I will take a Mac over Windows any day but thats not what this thread is about.

Yeah, i know Leopard isn't out, I was J/K. The only reliable info we have on that is Apple.com/osx/leopard or something like that.

What I'm saying is that the thread title is Vista vs. XP when you are mainly discussing OS X vs. XP in the post.

I will stick with my Vista/Ubuntu dual boot anyday. Vista for playing games and Ubuntu for anything else I like.

FR. said:
Yeah, i know Leopard isn't out, I was J/K. The only reliable info we have on that is Apple.com/osx/leopard or something like that.

What I'm saying is that the thread title is Vista vs. XP when you are mainly discussing OS X vs. XP in the post.
No I'm comparing XP and Vista. The only time I even mention Mac is when I say lets leave it aside and when I say that it has had widgets and an indexing search, even then I was comparing it to Vista. So lets get back on topic. There should be no discussion of Mac in this thread. If you would like to talk about how Mac is better than Windows or the other way around, then go to the thread based on that. Do you really think that I would say that XP is better than Mac. Thats not going to happen until Microsoft gets their heads out of their asses and makes a decent OS.

Last edited:
I used to use Ubuntu, but then there was an update which screwed something up so I was unable to start the GUI. I searched for an answer to my problem and the only thing I could find was to switch the driver for my graphics card. I did so but it still didn't work and I wasn't experienced enough in Linux to be able to solve an unknown problem the command line. So now I use Mandriva on my Linux partition. But lets get back on topic, this thread should only be about Windows.

I've liked Windows Vista, but then again my machines were far overkill for anything that will slow down XP.

I have three primary machines that I've upgraded to Windows Vista. Everything seems to be running much more smoothly than it did on XP (however, XP ran fine as well).

I've not had many issues in terms of compatibility, sans a couple of printers. They needed upgraded anyway.

Two of my machines I've upgraded from XP Pro to Windows Vista Ultimate, and one of my machines I've upgraded from XP Home to Windows Vista Home Premium. I've been satisfied with the performance and reliability of all three. I've yet to have a total system failure (STOP error), nor have I had a reason to reboot any of my systems from any quirk. My most powerful machine ran for 6 weeks and 2 days without a reboot until I had to power it down to relocate it. That was a sad day. The longest I've gotten XP to run without requiring a reboot for one reason or another was just over 5 weeks - I would at least have to restart explorer.exe - and I didn't even run Folding@Home on XP.

All through my 6 weeks, 2 days of uptime, I had Folding@Home running on one entire CPU core (along with Folding@Home on the PlayStation 3 for that entire time period (aside from some gaming), also not requiring a reboot). The system still ran fast enough to play Oblivion with high detail, high resolution and not noticably drop frames nor glitch.

I use Internet Explorer as my primary web browser (requiring more "resources" than other browsers such as Firefox), and generally do NOT use the tabs. I've had it say numbers as high as 43 - Internet Explorer between forums, class work, and windows I neglected to close through that period. I had 97 processes running also in that period, taking 1.5GB of physical system memory. Not a hiccup.

Also, "DWM", the window manager that Windows Vista uses I've only noticed taking about 40MB of system memory MAX with Aero Glass (with the bulk of the visual handling passed to the graphics card). XP's on the other hand I've seen taking as much as a couple hundred megabytes, JUST for the "Windows XP" look. There was no window transparencies NOR "FLIP 3D" type stuff in XP.

I've been extremely happy with it. I've been running it since launch, actually.

Furthermore, I've been extremely happy with Microsoft Office 2007 as well - I've upgraded all three of my systems with that as well - from Office XP on one, and 2003 on the other two.

I say: "Way to go, Microsoft".

If your system has issues running Vista, upgrade your RAM. My lowest system has 1GB of RAM and runs it with the least performance (but still well). The rest of my systems, with 3GB+, run it with excellence. RAM is pretty cheap at the moment.

Wow, Super, Folding and gaming at high detail with no chokes. Sounds like an impressive rig you got there.

Everything you just said is why I'm waiting to build my custom system before I give Vista a shot. My PC is almost two years old. Ram is upgraded, but my graphics card isn't quite up to par with waht Vista needs to run smoothly. Do you have any kind of CPU quota manager, because I know sometimes Folding will take up WAY more power than it needs. I had to use ThreadMaster to keep everything even on my old PC.

Back