Wayne Gretzky Named Cover Star of New NHL Slapshot Hockey Game

Wii News

Wii News Blog
Oct 10, 2009

EA Sports has today announced that it’s developing its first ever NHL hockey title for the Wii, NHL Slapshot, and that NHL Hall of Famer Wayne Gretzky will be starring on the cover. Gretzky will also be featured as a playable character.

Here’s the hockey legend himself talking about his involvement in the game:

“EA Sports has been making great hockey games in Canada for 20 years now, and the team behind the game is really passionate about the sport. Being on the cover of the new Wii version of the game is exciting and is probably going to make me a bit cooler in the eyes of my kids.”

The new game introduces a revolutionary hockey stick controller, which the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers plug into, enabling players to shoot, pass and body check using the plastic stick.

NHL Slapshot is currently in development at EA Canada in Vancouver, BC and will be available for the Wii system in September, 2010.

This game definitely has my attention, and it looks like it will be one of the prettiest sports games ever released on the Wii. Those screens look very nice, and the Be A Pro mode should be pretty deep and fun as well.

Back