WEP Key Help

Mikeyness

Must.Find.Wii
Jan 2, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, so I currently use as wireless USB adapter connection with a modem and all with broadband, and when my Wii was looking for an internet connection it found my connection. 'Great!' I thought. But it asked for my WEP key. I went to find my WEP Key only to find out it was all ******* (astrix).

Now I'm wondering, I've checked a few sites, and they say I can change my WEP key, but I have to do that on all other connected devices (in this case, two other computers in my house). So is this true? Can I change my WEP key to something me/my family can remember just by changing it on all devices connected? Or will it stuff up my connection? I don't mind doing it if it'll work.

okay, youre password is not all asterix if thats what you really think...? but anyway, what you must do is login on youre through one of your connected computers. then you must check your wep key, or create a new one.

What wireless router do you have?

In any case, someone in your house knows the WEP key. After all, someone had to turn on WEP and created the current key. Just think about it for moment, who connect your two computer to the wireless router...

My dad first installed it, and he said the WEP key was generated from the disc. So I reinstalled my internet connection and indeed at the end it said 'creating 128bit- WEP key etc.)

No one in my family knows it =/ I looked through all the manuals and discs and nothing.

Someone had to enter them into the other two computers. The router would generate the WEP key which the user (your dad or someone) had to enter them on the other two wireless desktop get the internet connection. If your not sure, just tell me what brand is your router and model number and I'll try to get some instructions up for you.

Nevermind. Apparently I entered 'Admin' like Major_Tom said and it accepted the WEP key but it doesn't connect. I get a 52030 code.

Just re-read your orginal question and saw that your using a USB adaptor.

Ok, so it seems like your other computers are connceted directly (via ethernet cable) to your router and your router to your Broadband modem, I'm I correct?

If so, that means that their is some kind of setting on your computer that is not allowing the Wireless USB to use that internet connection. Check your firewall in computer. Chances are that their is something withen your config that is not allowing the connection. My neighbor had the same problem, and after he and I adjusted his firewal and security settings it work perfectly after a computer reboot.

Ok, I'll try it.

And my computer and my parents' computer are connected wirelessly via USB Adapter. My sister, however, is connected to the internet via a cable that connects to the modem xD

On a side note, if your hardware supports it, use WPA encryption instead of WEP. It's more secure and pass keys can be plain english, no numbers to remember.

Back