What's with the UK price?!

BrandonMcAuslan

Special Olympics Medalist
Nov 21, 2006
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
How come we in the United Kingdom are paying £50 more per unit than our American chums? Its £180 here - Thats $340! All I want to ask is why?
I remember being told by Gamestation that the console was going to be £125 and games would be £30 - no more than £35.

I'm gonna be getting wii £180- red steel £40(maybe farcry instead) - Zelda £40 - extra nunchuk £15 Thats £265? :eek:

Sucks ass if you ask me...

Last edited:
Yeah it's never been that price, ever since it was announced few months back it's been £179.99

That's one of it's best assets against the other machines.

Sorry Typo its meant to say £180 - Thats still 340$...America is getting theirs for $250 which is £125 (approx)...

Guess we should be grateful as Brazil is paying $1,124 (and it is us dollars!?)
(according to wikipedia)

Last edited:
I noticed this with pretty much everything sold in the USA and UK, that the UK pay more.

I think it relies on a few reasons, but these are no way facts and would be grateful if someone could correct me as Im just going on stuff Ive heard.

1) Americans have to add tax onto there products after they buy it. When in the uk 17.5% tax is already included in the price resulting in it being higher than the American counterpart.

2) UK has a very high currency convertion; we have one of the richest countries in the world. It could be worse - we could of gone to the Euro :yesnod:

3) Sales figures are primarly decided on the economy in London. I live in South East England and while some one in London gets £20,000 annual for a job, someone here may only get £14,000 for exactly the same work. I know prices are highly inflated in London, but this also leads to the Wii being inflated in price.

Americans pay less for all retail goods compared to the UK, however they pay more for health insurance etc etc, it works out the same in the end.

epikon said:
Americans pay less for all retail goods compared to the UK, however they pay more for health insurance etc etc, it works out the same in the end.

Ha ha, that made me laugh so hard, it sounds like you meant people will injure themselves playing the Wii so will have to pay for health insurance anyway, so it all works out the same, lol:smilewinkgrin:

UK health system freaking sucks, so does our tax system.

You pay like £200 out of your wages a month tax which helps go to some asylum seeker come into the country and get a free house and benefits while you have to work to pay for their upkeep.

And on top of that in relating to the health system, you go to have a check up on your teeth you still have to pay £7 or pay £15 for prescribed medication from your doctor.

Ameriacans have got it right; you get what you pay for. Here in the UK someone else gets what you pay for, and on top of that you have to pay more for yourself.

Anyway - enough about my rant :incazzato: back to the subject at hand.

Dam you lucky Americans!

toggle said:
You pay like £200 out of your wages a month tax which helps go to some asylum seeker come into the country and get a free house and benefits while you have to work to pay for their upkeep.
!

British National Party :thumbsup: (no im not racist im nationalist)

Toggle was right, in the UK if you pick up a Wii and go to a till you will hand over £179.99 and thats it
In the US if you pick up a Wii and go to a till you will pay $250 plus tax (I don't know what % it is so I couldn't tell you the value)
But if you went into a US store with $250 you would not have enough to pay for the Wii

Yeah i find it quite annoying hearing about americans complaining about the price of the wii. I mean, i'd be more than happy getting it at the price they are.

Back