Why Do People Fear Wii?

For the past 6 years in the US, companies like EA have not only dominated the top 20 game developers list, they have determined to the consumer what type of games to buy. Games like Madden NFL sell more copies than any game franchise on the planet. So when Nintendo comes out not only with a new, and different way to play games, the current gen users feel threatened. They see companies like Sony, which they have been loyal to since the PS1 start making the dumbest moves ever. They see Microsoft, a company known for monopolies start to claim #1. Meanwhile Nintendo draws in a new type of gamer. The gamers that have been around, and content in the 6 year market are now being phased out. Games are making more focus towards online content, and many other features that didn't exist before.

The fact is the market is changing after 6 years of stagnation. Is it changing a lot? No. But enough to make any type of fan boy angry the market is no longer the way it used to be.

Extremely Wii biased. But that is to be expected.

I really hope that this new era of novelty systems and games just to get non-gamers involved doesn't neglect us hardcore gamers. Neglecting your bread and butter customers for senior citizens?? I kind of think Nintendo is already doing this, with the Wii being so novelty and weak. I seriously hope it doesn't get too bad.

I fail to see how that article is biased, it isn't derogatory to the competition in any way.

Also, I wouldn't say Red Steel, CoD3, Heatseeker, SSX Blur, Madden 07, Zelda or Excite Truck are aimed at senior citizens, would you?

I've read your posts before, why do you continually post on here when it's obvious you dislike the Wii and love either the PS3 or 360.

If you prefer the other consoles that's fine, if the Wii isn't for you that's fine too, just stop annoying people with your anti Wii rubbish!!

The Wii has proved it can cater for all tastes, that's why it's so popular and rightly so!

Last edited:
kingkoy said:
I dont understand someone briefly explain to me

The article handles really well the Ninten-dominance topic in this current generation, by explaining why people(mainly hardcore gamers of the Playstation generation) fear of Sony losing its market share, and Nintendo taking over. It ends emphasizing on the need of the market to change(customs, politics, behaviour) every decade or so.

Hope I took the point well.

Brawny said:
Who is corey? It's been buggin' me for a while. I wonder how much his consistently great articles are being shared.

Corey is a very sick man.

No, really. I was sick all week and now I'm having to write this via my bed. Weaksauce, indeed.

But thank you (and others) for stopping by and reading - and yes NecroDemon, you got most of the point quite succinctly.

I'm a games journo/writer who's been working in the industry since 2001. I do general writing across gaming and comics (there's all sorts of tedious stuff on who I've worked for over at my site when you click on my name). i0n lets me out to roam Wii Chat for a while every week, to snarl at passers-by and occasionally bark at cars. Keeps me out of trouble.

Last edited:
Well thought out. The Wii is probably most feared for revolutionizing the genre by allowing new developers, gamers and controls.

I suppose most hardcore gamers wouldn't agree with that

Back