Why is america cheaper than Europe?

daviduk200

The XBOX 360 Guy
Jul 18, 2007
Scotland
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
well my question is the title of the thread and i need to know why?

i mean if you look at it,

when america got the wii, it was $250 (and some people said it was a bit much, (i wish))

but when we finally got it it was £180 now use the approx exchange rate of 2$2:£1

americas wii costed $250 which is £125,
Europes wii costed £180 which is $360

but its not just with wii its with Playstation, xbox, games, dvds, food, cars, tvs everything,

so i would like to know

Why is america cheaper and why do some people still complain about wii being a bit more pricey than hoped?

daviduk200 said:
well my question is the title of the thread and i need to know why?

i mean if you look at it,

when america got the wii, it was $250 (and some people said it was a bit much, (i wish))

but when we finally got it it was £180 now use the approx exchange rate of 2$2:£1

americas wii costed $250 which is £125,
Europes wii costed £180 which is $360

but its not just with wii its with Playstation, xbox, games, dvds, food, cars, tvs everything,

so i would like to know

Why is america cheaper and why do some people still complain about wii being a bit more pricey than hoped?

About taxes and everything contribute to this.

There is a lot of reasons for different products.

Taxes and also the Euro is greater then the US dollar right now...American money keeps falling more and more.

yeah but why do taxes make a difference,

does europe have to pay more than america in taxes , we only have 17.5% tax which i think is still a bit much,

also the price of our stuff keeps rising and rising

daviduk200 said:
yeah but why do taxes make a difference,

does europe have to pay more than america in taxes , we only have 17.5% tax which i think is still a bit much,

also the price of our stuff keeps rising and rising

Our economy and taxes are very different.

The prices keep rising because quality is improving, I mean would you expect a HD tv for the same price as a bog standard tv?

I think it may also to do with how much specific countries pay for products, and also, how much imports would cost.

That also depends on individual ties.

Economy on a global scale is confusing, and to be fair, it also depends on what each country can get away with.

A few months ago, in Zimbabwe, the local supermarkets went out of stock on a lot of things. A tin of ham cost as much as you'd make in a few weeks.

I guess we should count ourselves lucky in that respect (or sneeky and manipulative - the companies and government, not the people).

im not on about tvs getting more exspensive like hd n stuff i mean like

sweets

freddo's used to be 10p per now they are 15p (freddos are like choclate frogs)
and happy hippos used to be 20p now they are like 25p
and stuff like that

daviduk200 said:

It's cheaper in America because they pay less taxes.

And people complain because they have to pay more. Duh.

daviduk200 said:
im not on about tvs getting more exspensive like hd n stuff i mean like

sweets

freddo's used to be 10p per now they are 15p (freddos are like choclate frogs)
and happy hippos used to be 20p now they are like 25p
and stuff like that

That's inflation. I'm not really sure how it works, but basically prices tend to increase over time (not counting price cuts, sales, etc.).

income in europe is larger though, also the american government tax waiters before they get tips, so if you dont tip a waiter they lose out, very harsh.

isnt health care free in america?

smashfan said:
income in europe is larger though, also the american government tax waiters before they get tips, so if you dont tip a waiter they lose out, very harsh.

isnt health care free in america?

No, they pay no taxes towards health care.

When they need health care they pay there and then.

We have to pay for the NHS with taxes so we dont have to pay a lump sum for every injury/illness.

also i mean american sites about wii say that the wii was more pricey than hoped and they complained at it being $250 (£125)

but here in uk we didnt complain and ours was £180 ($360)

health care is free in canada but not in the USA. i think the tax in the USA is 20% but im not too sure. also many people have jobs that only pay minimum wage here in america (minimum wage is $6.75). so they dont make much and if stuff got too expensive then those people would be just about be forced to live on the street.

Cpt.McCloud said:
No, they pay no taxes towards health care.

When they need health care they pay there and then.

We have to pay for the NHS with taxes so we dont have to pay a lump sum for every injury/illness.
Actually, that's left mostly down to health insurance. If you don't have health insurance however, then you're basically on your own.

It's why there's the age old joke of asking henchmen and the like if they get "dental".

whats funny about that joke lol.

also yeah i think i get it but i also dont,
i mean our min wage at 18 is around £5ish ($10) so we get payed more so they expect us to pay more for our stuff,

but all this dental and health insurance and taxes make no sense to me.
why cant it just be simple

Back