Wii/360/PS3 - Fanboy/Fanboys

BrandonMcAuslan

Special Olympics Medalist
Nov 21, 2006
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
The word “fanboy” is one that everyone is going to come across in these forums at some point. For some of us it has become the dominating theme within many (possibly all) arguments and debates. (i.e. “You’re just a P$3 fanboy graphics wh*re).

But forget that nobody can actually give a perfect universal definition on what a “fanboy” is - it doesn’t matter, because being a fanboy (or having fanboys around) needn’t be such a bad thing.

Sure the one-console, one-company for me, for life, mindset can be extremely annoying to deal with – and genuinely deconstructive to meaningful debate on the merits of various technology - and our ideas within the gaming industry. But there are always going to be these xenophobic people, who will attack and criticize something they are not familiar with – or do not themselves own, purely for those reasons. You can’t beat them, you can try, but they will never go away.

The thing about fanboys is that they really don’t bother me… It’s the people who use the term fanboy in a derogative way that get my back up.

We all need to learn to just accept and ignore the fanboys. We need to just ignore or laugh at the obviously dumb comments like “P$3 sucks A$$! – Wiii roxxx!” Why bother responding? Every time we do, the thread of conversation normally degenerates to a playground-shouting match.

When we are arguing/debating with someone, and we resort to throwing the word “fanboy” at the person we are talking to, we are basically resorting to name-calling. In every argument when a person resorts to name-calling they are resigning to defeat. It’s a last resort. When our argument has reached a dead-end, and we have nowhere else to go, what’s left is “Maybe so! But you have big ears! :p ” (or some such insult).
It’s childish, it doesn’t help anyone, and it really doesn’t help our cause (whatever it may be). Maybe the person we are arguing with is being childish. Maybe a person is being deliberately obtuse and ignorant in order to deconstruct the thread of argument - because its not going the way they wanted it to go. Or maybe the person we are speaking to actually “is” an immature 12 year-old (no-offence intended to mature 12 year olds). It doesn’t matter. Because if we start throwing insults around, this works to the detriment of whatever point we ourselves are trying to make. I’ve seen many good arguments and conversations tarred because the person making the good points degenerates to the schoolyard level after some mild verbal provocation. (Hell I’m probably guilty of this myself… I guess at times we all are).
It’s hard to respect someone’s arguments and opinion when they are throwing insults around.

I think we should try to slowly work the word fanboy out of our vocabulary when it comes to debating/arguing/discussing. Calling someone a fanboy doesn’t accomplish anything for us. And I’m sure we’ve all experienced the frustration of being on the receiving end of a “fanboy” accusation. If someone is being closed minded, irrational, or obtuse, that’s their own insecurities and problems shining through – lets not make it everyone else’s as well…

:thumbsup:

Ok, i couldnt read all of that as it was too long but im sure it was something really interesting. I like nintendo, and im a boy, so im a fanboy. I cant help it...

wow, very well thought out post. Its a shame some of these people havent learned reading comprehension skills yet, and it kind of makes you sigh.. one of those.. all hope is lost sighs...

No comment on whether i agree with you or not though.

Shiftfallout said:
wow, very well thought out post. Its a shame some of these people havent learned reading comprehension skills yet, and it kind of makes you sigh.. one of those.. all hope is lost sighs...

Are you arguing or annoying people (including me) again, you really have a bad reputation on this site, i know this as i have seen your immature posts in other threads and people complaining about you. You really should do a decent thing for once and bugger off < My favourite little saying :yesnod:

But seriously, think before you post , then you might not look like such a fool :wtf:

Nice Post (yes, I read the whole thing)
I agree with you that you don't need to use the word "fanboy". I also think that in a debate/arguement that you can imply somebody is a "fanboy" without calling them it DIRECTLY.

There is a problem with fanboyism though- it degenerates the forum. Some of us just want to be able to just discuss some new feature or game or whatever, but we have to go through 10 pages of "PS3 suckz !!!111", etc.

Then go to another forum...its as simple as that. I could care less about what you want to do or what other people like you who enjoy starting fights about how superior the p$3 is to everything else because of its "great graphics" and "Blu Ray". I'm a fanboy but I don't blindly argue for no reason nor do I say absolutely ridiculous things like others (for instance nfanboy). I don't start threads to diss the p$3 randomly. However this site is going to draw 1,000x more people like him (nfanboy) than it will you so I honestly do not understand why you're here.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:

Once again you're trying to start an argument.. what's the point?

Thank you for making a decent post that was well worth the entire read BrandonMcAuslan. I agree completly with what you are saying, the word "fanboy" is thrown around way too much when someone disagrees with something about another console even. We have to accpet that some people will not like other peoples tastes in consoles or anything, it's what makes us unique. And people saying "PS3 SUCKS!!!!!" is something that I am starting to get tired of aswell.
If we can't have a decent debate/thread based on facts about something, then is it really worth it in the first place? No it isn't.
Also, to those that feel the need to post something and not even bother to read the post at all, why do you bother saying something if it doesn't interest you? Cutting down on this kind of unecissary posting will also reduce the amounting of fighting these forums see. It very easily happens.

lee.jarratt said:
But seriously, think before you post , then you might not look like such a fool :wtf:

This coming from the guy who couldnt read the OPs post before commenting. But seriously READ before you post, then might not look like such a fool (was what you said.) Im not going to argue about it with you. Case closed.

surfinrach90 said:
Once again you're trying to start an argument.. what's the point?

Im not starting an argument, you are by saying I am. =) You cant tell me this when the post immediately following the OPs bit say "sorry i couldnt read all that.. fanboys rock" and " yay i no can read too Fanboy ftw". People shouldnt post stuff like that if they cant bother reading the OPs post. Its that simple. Im not gonna argue with you about it. Case closed.

Last edited:
People are going to be people, that's all it is. They can be stupid, or they can be smart. Most tend to pick the stupid side, though, and bash the hell out of one system without even reading up on it or playing it, as well as putting one system on a pedastal because they believe hardware and such means everything. In the end, people are going to be stupid. Fact of life.

Shiftfallout said:
This coming from the guy who couldnt read the OPs post before commenting. But seriously READ before you post, then might not look like such a fool (was what you said.) Im not going to argue about it with you. Case closed.

Im not starting an argument, you are by saying I am. =) You cant tell me this when the post immediately following the OPs bit say "sorry i couldnt read all that.. fanboys rock" and " yay i no can read too Fanboy ftw". People shouldnt post stuff like that if they cant bother reading the OPs post. Its that simple. Im not gonna argue with you about it. Case closed.

Shutup.

Back