wii and wireless internet

Linksys WRT54GS with SpeedBooster are really good, it does Wireless-G, Wireless-B, Wi-Fi and maybe some other things as well, they go up to 125m and cost around £30 here. I don't know the conversion but I'm guessing around $40-$50... somewhere around that price.

My friend kept on showing off about how his NetGear router goes up to 400m and a week later he said it sucks because it kept on timing out...

Please, when you don't know what the heck you are talking about, don't say anything. You are misleading people who otherwise won't know better.

For the record: A wireless router is NOT faster than a wired router. In FACT, wireless networks are slower than wired. Only Wireless N is faster than wired, and that is only true when 1 or 2 devices are in use. Otherwise, WiFi is a wireless hub and therefore all devices share the total amount of bandwidth. Not to mention WiFi is never as fast as it's rating. So, Wireless-G, 52Mbps ends up being about 30Mbps at 20ft. With every wireless LAN, it's only about %60 the rated speed at 20-30 feet. So say you have 108Mbps wireless, you'll get 70Mbps. Now toss in that you have 2 devices so you divide the 70mbps in half (simplifying things here) such that each device only gets 35Mbps each. However, on a wired switched network, each device gets 100Mbps. Not to mention there's no interference from other wireless networks around your house/apartment.

Now that may all sound like Wifi is not a good idea, but one doesn't have to run wires or have them laying around. So I use a wifi router as an access point (much cheaper than buying a wifi access point) and a switch for all my wired devices.

wiimadden said:
You Should Buy A Wireless Router Because It Is A Lot Faster An Better I Paid 50 Bucks For Mine And I Can Set It Up Not Just My Wii My Psp To

alri

alri

i hav a usb 2.0 a-b wire

i hav 1 side in my modem and the use part in the wii but i still cant connect 2 the internet

can some1 plz tell me how 2 do it its driven me mad:mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

Last edited:
Could you help ? I entered the SSID, and use WEP, but still cannot connect. Did you enter the SSID in ASCII or Hex? Also, where did you enable WPA/WEP and where can you find the Wii's MAC addr? Thanks.

RE: USB. As far as I know, the Wii does not support a USB-LAN connection. Yes, you can buy a USB-Ethernet adapter, that's not what I'm talking about.

RE: SSID. Enter the SSID as TEXT, not ASCII/Hex. Stick with Alpha/Numeric/Upper-Lower Case. Also, if your router supports WPA, use that not WEP as WEP can be cracked by any script kiddie in about 2 minutes with a laptop. The MAC address can be found on one of the Settings/Internet screens, look around a bit.

Back