Wii box in next room

brett1974

WiiChat Member
Mar 23, 2008
Hi,

Just got a Wii but have a home set up where the LCD TV power/tuner box is in the next room (so as the TV can be hung on the wall with the TV cables drilled through to the opposite room).

Anyway, it's very tight and there's no way I can get the WII sensor cable back through to the room where the TV box is etc... so I was looking at the Wireless Sensors... then I read it's the actual Wii remote control that links to the Wii box - not the sensor...

So, I was wondering if you can operate a Wii with the Wii box on the otherside of the wall in a different room (but still only 5-10 feet away from where the game player would be stood).

SO..... Do the IR signals from the Wii remote go through walls?

Does anyone know where I could get a Wii Wireless Sensor bar (ie not online) so I can set this up today or tomorrow (It's for my son's birthday today - and he obviously wants it up annd running URGENTLY!!!)? Do GAME stock them???

ah are you aussie? i have never herd of GAME out of aussie... if he wants to play a shooter game having stuff blocking the senser bar isn't good at all BUT my brother and i tested this theory my brother went out side and bowled a strike in bowled so it picked up the motion but if you wanted to point at the TV like shooting or navigating the wii system est... you really need it over or under your tv... the tv hangs from the wall? why don't you glue tack the senor to the bottom and feed the cable though the wall... I'm an apprentice electrition... the cable is very small and the head isnt big at all it should be very easy to get it though even if it is very tight other wise i suggest you make the hole a little bit bigger it isnt that hard.. umm other wise i haven't ever herd of wireless sensor bars.. but i have never looked them up
hope you could understand me GOOD LUCK

The only IR is to turn the Wii on isn't it? So if the Wii is behind a wall, you might have to go and press the on/off button yourself. I think all the other wiimote stuff is BlueTooth, so should go through one wall ok.

Even for pointing games, the sensor bar isn't communicating with the Wii, it's the wiimote that sees the 2 led's on the sensor bar so it can work out where it's pointing and which orientation it's in. This info is transmitted from the wiimote to wii by the BT connection, not IR. So, as long as the Wiimote can see the sensor bar (wired or wireless) it will be ok and transmits all it's data via BlueTooth not IR.

As for the sensor bar wire, are you sure you can't get the sensor cable back through the drilled hole?

If the hole is hidden (which I presume it is), can't you just widen the hole slightly, you could probably do it by scraping with a screwdriver if you didn't feel like getting the drill out!

Or if you are brave enough, you could cut the wire a few inches before the plug bit goes into the wii, then re-connect the wires once you've got it through the hole in the wall.

Safest way (warranty wise!) would be to just get a wireless sensor bar - they just use a couple of batteries to power the 2 infra-red led's instead of the Wii's power supply. Only downside to that is the batteries are bound to run out in the middle of a game, but you probably have loads of AA's for the wiimotes anyway... It's only powering 2 led's so batteries should last a good long time anyway.

My suggestion is just get a wireless sensor bar for ease of installation.

Hope this helps,

Neil

Last edited:
Thanks for your help... yes, I'll get a wireless sensor and try it out.

The hole size is okay... but it's very very awkward to get to. I think if we ever wish to change tv (the previous owners installed this set-up) I'll have to knock a wall down or something!!

Thnaks again.

the sensor only sends out signals so its just a sensor bar the sends an ir signal to the remote

get a wireless sensor bar
but u might want one that plugs in somewhere or u will have to recharge the battery quiet often

apparently u can use 2 candles instead of the sensor bar..i guess its not the safest thing to do thou

Vokesy said:
apparently u can use 2 candles instead of the sensor bar..i guess its not the safest thing to do thou

That's the same thing I was thinking, since the sensor bar is just 2 infared lights that pick up the signal. Candles on top of a tv not very safe though :lol: Although I have heard sticky notes work (somehow)

Back