Wii Chess Thread

JT.

A glitch in life
Apr 16, 2007
Wii Chess is coming out this winter, but no one knows what it is...

Though it needs it's own thread, so that people can suggest what Wii Chess is. Maybe it'll be the first Wiiware game?

Source
It's there in the list, in bold, with a release date of "Winter".

If you happen to find any info on it, post it in this thread, and I'll update this post with the new info.

Update 1:
Wii Chess is part of the Wii series (Wii sports, Wii play, Wii Fitness, Wii Music,...). Source

Last edited:
I don't really like chess either, and it isn't very poular, so I don't get Nintendo's logic behind this, unless they make some uber pimped version of chess!

I have a feeling this one will be free.

Sounds silly, I know, but considering how I can type "Chess" into google and get about 100 free online chess sites I can't imagine any one paying good money so they can play with nintendo themed chess pieces.

But how is chess NOT popular? It's one of the biggest games in the western world, and just about every city on the planet has a chess club where you can meet and socialize with other players for a very modest fee (Usually $10 a month.)

As a disclaimer, I'm not a chess fan and if this service costs money then I'll just chuckle to myself as it fades into obscurity... if it does end up being free though.. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for Wii Go! :D

Last edited:
I really like chess, but I wouldn't buy a chess game. I much prefer to play it in real life with someone especially if it's a round of strip chess with my GF lol ;)

Eagles said:
I really like chess, but I wouldn't buy a chess game. I much prefer to play it in real life with someone especially if it's a round of strip chess with my GF lol ;)
I can honestly say I've never heard of/thought about that, wow, so that would require an intellectual girl as well as a girl that is comfortable with herself, score one for you bud.

blueovalboy7 said:
I can honestly say I've never heard of/thought about that, wow, so that would require an intellectual girl as well as a girl that is comfortable with herself, score one for you bud.

Thanks, she's quite a keeper and I'm better then her at chess lol which makes it even more fun ;) Moving back on to Wii chess, had a look around and couldn't find any more info for you, quite a mysterious title! :)

Well, I made an update. Figured I ought to see what info's on wikipedia. Found a tiny piece of info, which suggests it won't be a Wiiware title, but you'll actually have to buy the game. And it'll be interesting how they get enough depth in the game, seeing as simply chess won't sell. Maybe we'll get yet another accessory with it?

JT. said:
Well, I made an update. Figured I ought to see what info's on wikipedia. Found a tiny piece of info, which suggests it won't be a Wiiware title, but you'll actually have to buy the game. And it'll be interesting how they get enough depth in the game, seeing as simply chess won't sell. Maybe we'll get yet another accessory with it?
If they really plan on marketing this as a normal game they better be giving us another accessory, but I really don't need another Wii remote, so maybe Wii points?:D

Well, I'd take the wiki with a grain of salt considering it's working off the same information every one else has right now. Honestly, there's not enough here to make speculation, unless nintendo is going to do to chess what they did to soccer it's destined to flop (if they charge money for it.)

What if they released an external hard disc, and it came bundled with wii chess? Now that would be cool!:yesnod:

JT. said:
I don't really like chess either, and it isn't very poular

Yes, it's amazing how incredibly unpopular chess is. Nobody plays it at all. Nobody buys the millions of chess sets produced each year, goes to the hundreds of tournamants around North America every year, or reads any of the several periodical magazines devoted to the game.

Why would anyone ever play this game that has simply been phenomenally unpopular for hundreds of years now?

I mean, if I DON'T LIKE IT, it must not be popular...right?

Geez...virtually every console dating back the Atari 2600 has released a stand alone chess game. No, they don't outsell Zeldas and Halos, but Chess stands as the most popular board game of all time...

Last edited:
This sounds ok, board games on the wii would be awesome online! But i think they should have given it another name, so they could include Chess, Checkers, Backgammon, Cards, etc, etc.

That would be great, id buy it i think.

Back