Wii Expected to Lead 2008

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
The Nintendo Wii is expected to overcome Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3 (PS3) to become the new-generation video-game console with the world’s largest installed base in 2008.

That’s according to recent research from iSuppli Corp, which today estimated the global installed base for the Wii will rise to 30.2 million units in 2008, up from 18 million in 2007, on its strong appeal to casual gamers.

The company estimated total 2008 sales for the Xbox 360, the 2007 new-generation video-game console install base leader at 18.2 million units, at 25.7 million units in 2008. ISuppli estimated PS3 sales will reach 20.3 million in 2008, up from 2007’s 10.3 million.

“The Wii’s performance illustrates the success of Nintendo’s strategy of targeting casual users with an inexpensive console and entertaining titles, rather than addressing hard-core gamers by offering highly sophisticated and spectacular titles and systems,” said Pam Tufegdzic, research analyst for multimedia content and services at iSuppli, in a statement. “In this stage of the new-generation video-game console market, consumers are showing they’d rather be entertained and pay less for their consoles than shell out more for the latest and greatest technology.”

The research company noted that while hard-core gamers have traditionally been the target for most video-game console and software makers in the past, this is changing due to the rising numbers of casual gamers. ISuppli defined a casual gamer as someone who doesn’t play games every day, but who occasionally will play for an hour or two, and noted that the types of games that appeal to such users are easy to play without much of a learning curve. The Wii system, its MEMS-based controllers, and its growing portfolio of easy-to-play games are well suited for the casual gamer, iSuppli said.

As such, the installed base for the Wii is expected to grow to 37.7 million units by 2011, rising at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.3% from 2007, iSuppli said.

Game not over for PS3, Xbox 360

Still, hard-core users aren’t going away, iSuppli reported, estimating that in 2011, the installed base of the PS3 will exceed that of the Wii at 38.4 million units in 2011, rising at a CAGR of 39% from 2007. By 2011, the Xbox 360 will grow to 32.3 million installed base units, rising at a CAGR of 15.4% from 2007, iSuppli data showed.

However, iSuppli reported that while the PS3 will take the lead by 2011, the percentage of the installed base controlled by the three consoles will be near even. The PS3 in 2011 will account for 35.4% of the installed base, while the Wii will take 34.8% and the Xbox 360 will be at 29.8%, iSuppli predicted.

Source

i am wii fan but ppl say that, they are working on blue ray (sony). remmber, ps3 sucks right now because of the new generation tecnology called blue ray. Once they figure things out and make it cheaper, ps3 might be 2008 wining strike.

I'll agree with that but I think they'll have to keep releasing new hardwares and technology to keep their current fan base interested for the 3+ years they're forecasting.

Well wii kicked butt in 07, not really a bold prediction there. And I don't see how the money really matters - If I thought a PS3 or Xbox 360 was better I sure wouldn't mind forking over extra for it.

These media outlets need to stop with the labels. Microsoft and Sony know the real market is in the mass audience. Their goal is to attract a variety of gamers in the long run.

The 360 and PS3 can catch up dramatically if they continue price drops on consoles, and games. Sony plans on dropping game prices this year. If Nintendo doesn't do a price drop, there's a very real chance they could lose a lot of momentum. The Wii must price drop this year to ensure their domination over the console wars. The price drop must be $100 or more.

As for 2008 this year goes to the Wii in consoles, games sold. 2009 will be very different as the US economy will be in a full recession, depression, or whatever they call bad times.

I find these articles useless. Some predict Nintendo is going to lose, others say they are going to continue with their steamrolling.

Personally, I don't think as many 'casual' gamers are even buying the Wii, as analysts are saying. Only the hardcore will stand out in line for it, imo.

Now, that said, I think the PS3 is going to win this year, the Wii in a close second, and the 360 in third. The good exclusives for PS3 are coming out, so that will make many decide to finally buy, and the Wii will certainly keep up the competition because of its own 1st party titles. Now, not a whole lot is happening with the 360 anymore, its big money maker has passed, so I think its going to be a slow down year I think.

The L.S said:
I find these articles useless. Some predict Nintendo is going to lose, others say they are going to continue with their steamrolling.

Analysts have been wrong about 80 percent of the time since the launch of this gen. It's no longer to be taken into consideration, it's just entertainment nowadays.

The L.S said:
The good exclusives for PS3 are coming out, so that will make many decide to finally buy, and the Wii will certainly keep up the competition because of its own 1st party titles.

I'm sorry but I think Brawl and Wii Fit are gonna sell way more than anything the PS3 is pushing out.

Sony would have to sell 4 million units a month to not only catch up to Nintendo, but also surpass them. The L.S must have failed math class. Because it's mathmatically impossible for this to happen in 2008. 2+1=3, not 5, not 6, not 10!

If the Wii gets 50 million units by the end of 2008 they will be so far ahead neither console will ever catch up. This is how the PS2 beat out the Xbox and Gamecube. Study history, learn some math, and avoid giving opinions.

sagema said:
Sony would have to sell 4 million units a month to not only catch up to Nintendo, but also surpass them. The L.S must have failed math class. Because it's mathmatically impossible for this to happen in 2008. 2+1=3, not 5, not 6, not 10!

If the Wii gets 50 million units by the end of 2008 they will be so far ahead neither console will ever catch up. This is how the PS2 beat out the Xbox and Gamecube. Study history, learn some math, and avoid giving opinions.

You are saying the Wii might get to 50 million units by the end of the year. thats still quite a bit away. Besides, alot of people are giving up on the Wii, since game wise it lacks in some areas. If sony does a serious price drop.. who knows.

If you don't mind me saying, why dontcha lighten up a bit? :)

Caliko said:
Analysts have been wrong about 80 percent of the time since the launch of this gen. It's no longer to be taken into consideration, it's just entertainment nowadays.

Didn't you just make an analyst, so that must mean your wrong?

No doubt the Wii will continue to sell fantastically throughout 2008. My only hope is that 3rd Party developers will start sending out some decent games instead of the ones we're getting currently.

Lamar/TBD said:
If the Xbox 360 was released at the same time, the wii would have been over shadowed due to it's shittyness.
Probably not since the Wii has a better selling ratio (rate) than the XBox 360. I'm not saying the 360 isn't a great console, because it is...I'm just guessing that it wouldn't have sold as much as the Wii.

Back