Wii games region free ?

big goalie

WiiChat Member
Nov 17, 2007
Hi all,

Just got my new Wii from USA. But I'm based in Singapore. Are the Wii games region free?

No, they are not unless your wii has a chip that enables reading of backup games and playing all regions games.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sigh...Does that mean that I wouldn't be able to play the games that I buy in Singapore?

You should have checked this out before you bought the Wii from the USA.

Anywho, just think, you can buy some games for your Wii that aren't even out where you live, but are in the USA. You'll be able to show off to your friends ;).

Hi GermanW,

Neither military nor on a military post. My wife was on a business trip over in USA about 2 weeks ago. She surprised me the Wii as a gift. Heh...heh... a little addictive. Unfortunately, a friend told me that there might be a problem with the region coded issue so wanted to check it out.

Amazone ships to APOs... what's APOs?

Hi,

I bought mine in Singapore beginning of this year. Could choose between a japanese version and a US-version. The shop (somewhere on Orchard Road) had games for both. I took the US-version.
Now I am in China and here they only sell non-original games. Since I don't want to modify my hardware (still hoping for a software-solution to run all games) I order the US-games from Canada (dvdboxoffice).
I find there prices reasonable and I normally get them within 10 days (interesting thing is they actually send them from Germany).

bye
basinger

Installing mod-chip is and will be the only solution to unlock wii. I don't think there will be software emulator for that.

Just buy the games online, Order from a US based company, Even after postage you usually get the game cheaper anyway.

Hi cannon,

Thanks for the advice. I will do just that for the time being.

big goalie said:
Hi GermanW,

Neither military nor on a military post. My wife was on a business trip over in USA about 2 weeks ago. She surprised me the Wii as a gift. Heh...heh... a little addictive. Unfortunately, a friend told me that there might be a problem with the region coded issue so wanted to check it out.

Amazone ships to APOs... what's APOs?

Army Post Office.
For US military members (including Navy, Marines, and AirForce)- we get mail from the states at an almost-continental US rate. Just takes a few days longer than mailing things within the states and the sender has to fill out a customs form.

I don't know of military bases in the area there but I'm sure the Navy has something nearby- ?!?

Sounds like the dvdboxoffice route would be the best bet. Unless you want to risk chipping it... Amazon might ship to you but at a high pri$e.

(Oh and I'm not in Germany since 2005- but the username I wanted was too long and this is my ebay name..)

Back