Wii HD

CHGN

WiiChat Member
Jul 4, 2007
I just bought some Asid Component cables for my Wii. I thought it'd be awesome, but my hopes were dashed when i plugged it in. There was no picture, just the sound when I switched the resolution to EDTV. I was all like "WTF!!!". Then when I read into the problem, I found out alot of people went through the same. Some said it was a hardware issue because it happened on certain TVs, others said it was software and an update would fix it. So, is it my Wii, my TV, my Wii software, or my cables that are the problem?

DaWgX said:
I just bought some Asid Component cables for my Wii. I thought it'd be awesome, but my hopes were dashed when i plugged it in. There was no picture, just the sound when I switched the resolution to EDTV. I was all like "WTF!!!". Then when I read into the problem, I found out alot of people went through the same. Some said it was a hardware issue because it happened on certain TVs, others said it was software and an update would fix it. So, is it my Wii, my TV, my Wii software, or my cables that are the problem?

Are they the official cables? Some users have experienced this problem with 3rd party cables.

3rd party, box reads : Asid Pro Hd wii component Cables. When i read the user reviews for the cables, they all said it was working great for them

I'm not positive, but it should, its got the component plugs on the back

DaWgX said:
I'm not positive, but it should, its got the component plugs on the back

That it has the component plug in the back doesn't mean it supports progressive scan.

Then whats the point for the Component In on the TV? To view Regular quality with moreadvanced cables?

I got the Nyko brand component cable for my wii. All i did was plugged it in and switched my tv to the right video input. Then i powered on the wii. Then i changed the resolution setting on my wii to edtv. Everything works fine.

When is the screen going black on you? is it right after you changed the resolution on your wii to edtv?

oh..man

i love my wii...but the check mii out channel sucks..any body know what is fun about this????

ya, right after i switch the resolution. the weird part is that after i click TV/Video to get to the channel, it flashes the Wii menu (which is what its supposed to be, except black and white) then goes blue(on my TV it means no signal)

DaWgX said:
ya, right after i switch the resolution. the weird part is that after i click TV/Video to get to the channel, it flashes the Wii menu (which is what its supposed to be, except black and white) then goes blue(on my TV it means no signal)

If your TV is older and has component inputs it may not be progressive scan. Nicer older models (pre-HDTV or EDTV) can have component inputs but may or may not offer 480p.

That being said, even if you can't take advantage of 480p/EDTV resolutions component cables still offer an upgrade in visual quality, albeit small.

Id trouble shoot the issue by hooking up the composite cables it came with and giving it a good look over paying particular attenton to how pixelated the overall image is. Then, hook up the component cables again and keep the setting on 480i. Get to the same screen (the channels menu works great) you viewed for pixelation and compare this new image with the component input being used. Generally, component cables offer less pixelation on all TVs, whether its HDTV or good ole' 480i.

If you have a widescreen TV it should at least be 480p. If thats the case make sure the inputs are color matched properly (as stupid as it sounds when I got my component cables and hooked them up to the Wii I switched the green and blue inputs by accident because it was dark bhind my TV and both colors look similar in low light) and that they are in secure.

If none of that works I would retrn them and get the official nintendo cables.

Good idea, I'll go this Weekend. Just another $10

Third party cables work just fine. They're just wires, it's pretty hard to mess that up.

edtv....wasnt that a movie?

anyway have you tried straightening out the wires and seeing if there were maybe a kink in the wire? i know it sounds stupid but it happens. it shouldnt be the wii, it is most definitely the wires

Back