Wii Remote Pointing Statagy

Fierce Deity

Hero of Wind
Jul 7, 2006
South Carolina
Wii Remote Pointing Statagy [UPDATE 1]

I originally posted this in another thread but i want direct commenting on this so i moved it:

Fierce Deity said:
imahawki said:
Most unlikely. My guess is you do a calibration like you do with a palm pilot that define the boundaries of the screen.

no you wouldnt need to callibrate; the bar just tells where the remote is. the cursor know when it is at the end of the screen, just like you dont need to callibrate the mouse on your computer; it just stopes on the end of the screen

also you only need one it call tell how far up or down or how left or right

and you arent pointing at the screen you are pointing at the bar and you just pretend that it is the screen you know what i mean

so it could be anywhere infront of you as long as you are keeping track at what you are pointing at

it is very simple to understand but im trying to think of somthing to compare it too.

*EDIT*:

GOT ONE!:

it is like when the weather man isnt really pointing at the little screen off to the side when he is showing storms and crap he is pointing at the green screen and is looking at the little one to show where his hands should be

i would expect weather men would be quite good at controlling the wii!

ALSO:
There is a special port for the sensor bar.
There is only one port so that means only one sensor bar per console.

[UPDATE 1]
NateTheGreat posted a thread that showed an article from IGN.com about the Wii Remote and it satate taht you would have to callibrate the remote but for porposes not discussed below in this thread.
Thread: here

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! I think you hit the head on the nail. I had thought it was going to be like the EyeToy for PS2, but I never thought of the Wiimote/mouse analogy. It seems like such a simple concept now that you pointed it out.

The Wiimote/Nunchuk combo is really, in my opinion, superior to a keyboard & mouse because it will replicate (to a degree) an actual weapon, tool, etc, while the analog stick of the nunchuk allows you to vary your character's movement (fast, medium to slow), rather than the "stop-or-go" approach of pressing buttons on a keyboard.

I still wonder, however, how Wii will know where the center of the TV screen is, since some people will have it above or below their TV? Do you, or does anybody think it figures the center in the same exact way a mouse does? Also, do you or does anyone think we'll see Wiimote/Nunchuk knock-offs for the PC, or will everyone stick with the status quo?:confused:

Last edited:
I think Wii will know the center of the screen because the controller is connected to the console which is connected to the TV. Even though the wiimote isn't connected to the Wii with wires it is still connected. I believe the sensor bar just giives a little guidance to the accuracy of the wiimote.

And the demo's i've seen so far seem to portray the wiimatoe as super-accurate, even though that wasn't the absolute final verson.

[quot=registerednerd]This is true about the bar being anywhere in front of you, but I disagree about the calibration. The reason you don't have to calibrate your mouse is because the pointer and the graphics are comming from the same source, your video card. However, with the Wii, the graphics will be coming from the Wii, while the pointer is comming from your hand. For a comparison, it's like you were to lay your monitor down and use the mouse on top of it. You would have to set it up to where the pointer was under the mouse all the time.[/quote]

If you think that the WiiMote won't need to be calibrated, then riddle me this: If the sensor bar is off-center on the TV, how will the Wii know which way you are pointing?

***EDIT***
I just read your reply about the weatherman. I understand what you are saying, about how you are actually pointing at the bar and not the screen, but what the calibration process does is makes it seem as though you are pointing at the screen. Some games (Such as Z:TP) use the WiiMote as a pointer on the screen, which makes it necesary for them to at least come close to lining up. It' doesn't need to be precise, but just enough that the Wii knows when you move your hand 3 inches on your big screen that you don't mean to shoot halfway across the universe, or on a smaller screen that you don't have to wildly wave your arms to go to the next menu item

Last edited:
registerednerd said:
(I also commented differently in the other post)

If you think that the WiiMote won't need to be calibrated, then riddle me this: If the sensor bar is off-center on the TV, how will the Wii know which way you are pointing? I'll quote my other post in just a minute

it will know because your pointing at it! [sensor bar]

you arent pointing at the screen you are pointing at the sensor bar:tard:

which is a indirect quote from sombody who played the wii at e3

Fierce Deity said:
it will know because your pointing at it! [sensor bar]

you arent pointing at the screen you are pointing at the sensor bar:tard:

which is a indirect quote from sombody who played the wii at e3

I've got it [an ilustration]! Let's say that you were completely blind, but you could sense the exact location of a single item. Now, let's say that the item is a pointer, if someone was using the pointer to point to something. How would you know what they were pointing at? You would have to know the location of varous items arround the room. That's basically what calibration does.

Last edited:
when i hear sensor bar i think that the middle of the sensor bar is the middle of the screen you know what i mean

and its not like there is more area to move when you have a large tv becasue it is the same thing just displayed in a larger form.. and vice versa for smaller tvs

Whoops, we both edited at the same time. I think we [at least kind of] understand each other. although, I think I see some of the confusion. The sensor bar is only for the Wii Pointer, it's just like a mouse, it's only used when pointing directly at the screen. For the actual motion sensitivity (swinging action, spinning, etc) there are gyroscopic sensors in the WiiMote that do nothing more than tell the Wii that it's moving and how, not the actual location. The only reason there is a difference in screen size is where you are pointing

Last edited:
registerednerd said:
Whoops, we both edited at the same time. I think we [at least kind of] understand each other. although, I think I see some of the confusion. The sensor bar is only for the Wii Pointer, it's just like a mouse, it's only used when pointing directly at the screen. For the actual motion sensitivity (swinging action, spinning, etc) there are gyroscopic sensors in the WiiMote that do nothing more than tell the Wii that it's moving and how, not the actual location. The only reason there is a difference in screen size is where you are pointing

what ev.

Orientation

Aside from how Wii figures out where you are in space, how does it figure out what direction you are facing?
How many times have we used a GC controller in say Mario Kart; we look at the screen but hold our controller casually in our laps - it could be pointing at the screen but it could also be pointing at the floor - or the wall. Now imagine Mario Kart on Wii (assume it uses controls similar to Excite Truck) We tilt right to turn right and tilt left to turn left. But what if we are sitting to the side of the screen and tilting right means that we tilt away from or towards the screen? This might not have a huge effect on Mario Kart because it could rely on the gyroscopes alone, but what about a game like tennis where the position of the wiimote in space becomes an integral part of the controls? Can Wii tell that I am trying to use my forehand even if I am swinging at an angle that is not perpendicular to the sensor bar. And if it does interpret that has a forehand, then how do I control the direction of my shots?
I ask this long question because all of the pictures on Nintendo's website show single players right infront of the screen, or groups of players bunched up together(so that they are right in front of the screen) What if I want to spread out with my friends because we dont wanna run into eachother or catch a wiimote to the jaw after an intense backhand or homerun cut? Is this possible? Or will there be serious calibration errors?

Back